Re: [NTB] Why does Notetab Pro suddenly convert all text in a file to '...........'?

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
      Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.

      I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

      Best,
      kwc

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

      > On my copy of Sync 2.1 (pre Microsoft) I get "Flushing: C G" (where
      G is a
> [...]
      button
      > > down
      > > > and drag the mouse pointer to an open location on the desktop
      and
      > > > release the button. The resulting dialog offers a 'Create a
      > > Shortcut'
      > > > option. Select that option and a Sync.exe shortcut should
      appear.

      > > > Right-click the shortcut, select 'Properties', the last entry
      in
      > > the
      > > > menu. The properties dialog appears and the 'Target' entry
      will be
      > > > similar to this;
      > > >
      > > > "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe"
      > > >
      > > > only it will reflect the location of your 'Sync.exe'
      > > >
      > > > Add the ( -r c e f ) as in the line below and click OK which
      will
      > > save
      > > > the modified shortcut.
      > > >
      > > > "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
      > > >
      > > > The -r is the flush-cache command, the c, e, f, represent the
      > > multiple
      > > > drive caches to flush, you can flush a single drive cache if
      you
      > > want,
      > > > for instance, only the drive the e drive, change the above
      > > parameters to
      > > > -r e.
      > > >
      > > > Be Sure To Include The Spaces Between The Parameters.
      > > >

      > > > Load your favorite ClipBook into the Clipbook Editor window,
      > > normally
      > > > the window on the left of the text editor window.
      > > >
      > > > Select the 2 small clips between the dashed lines, after you've
      > > edited
      > > > them to reflect the path to your 'Sync.exe', and copy the
      selection
      > > > the clipboard.
      > > >
      > > > Pick a spot in the clipbook editor window and right-click,
      click
      > > the
      > > > 'Add From Clipboard' selection and the clips are added to the
      > > clipbook.
      > > >
      > > > Again, right-click the clipbook window, this time click
      the 'Save
      > > Now'
      > > > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
      > > >
      > > > ---------------------
      > > > H="Sync Commandline Params"
      > > > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
      > > >
      > > > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
      > > > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
      > > > ----------------------
      > > >
      > > > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
      > > >
      > > > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
      > > > drive
      > > > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
      > > >
      > > > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
      > > >
      > > > ·············································
      > > > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
      > > >
      > > > New Beer WARNING Label:
      > > > "The consumption of alcohol
      > > > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
      > > > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
        --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

        > Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.
        >
        > I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

        This explains far better than I can

        https://apps.uillinois.edu/support/check_userright.html

        As a sole user you should have the necessary rights but it is best to check.

        fw
        PS the current version also returns "Flushing: C G"
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
          ken winston caine wrote:
          > Curious about one thing.
          >
          > I've set up
          "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
          > in the shortcut properties, and
          >
          > When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
          > desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"
          >
          > That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
          > on the
          > exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?
          >
          > I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
          > letters designated: c e f.
          >
          > Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
          > and f?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > kwc

          kwc,

          I see the same thing you do but I believe it's because the dos window
          closes so quickly you don't get a chance to see the full output response.

          Try replacing you clip with this one. It displays the complete output
          and gives you time to read it.

          I edited this clip using your path so all you have to do is replace the
          clip. It then displays the output in an ^!Info [L] box.

          --------------------
          H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
          ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
          ^!Info [L]^$GetOutput("C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r
          c e f)$
          --------------------

          This is a 2 line clip, make sure it appears that way when you add it to
          your clipbook.

          ºvº SL-11-95 -created- 2007.11.12 - 18.38.18

          Newspaper HeadLine...
          "Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire"
          ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 13, 2007
            Hi
            As something else to try have you tried going into, right clicking on
            external drive and going to properties then hardware then policies and
            check if the caching or "optimize for quick removal" is turned on ??
            THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]
            >> Now'
            >> > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
            >> >
            >> > ---------------------
            >> > H="Sync Commandline Params"
            >> > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
            >> >
            >> > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
            >> > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
            >> > ----------------------
            >> >
            >> > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
            >> >
            >> > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
            >> > drive
            >> > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
            >> >
            >> > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
            >> >
            >> > ·············································
            >> > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
            >> >
            >> > New Beer WARNING Label:
            >> > "The consumption of alcohol
            >> > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
            >> > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

          • ken winston caine
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
              That did it! (The new, two-line clip.)

              Thanks a lot.

              It tells me that it DID flush all the removeable drives. I suspect that
              you were right, that it flashed so quickly I simply couldn't see that
              it was doing what it was supposed to be doing.

              Best,
              kwc
            • ken winston caine
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                Thanks, Dave, for suggesting that. It aleady had "quick removal"
                checked.

                Best,
                kwc
              • ken winston caine
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                  Thanks again.

                  Case closed unless I fire up some morning and discover another years'
                  long research file has disappeared into the world of indecipherable
                  corruption.

                  Incidentally, I have set my backup drive and program so that it no
                  longer automatically backs up (synchs files) upon booting. Having it
                  set that way was a terrible mistake, no matter how convenient it was.
                  Mistake because it meant if a file had corrupted on shutdown, that upon
                  booting the corrupted file was synched to the backup drive, thus wiping
                  out my NON-corrupted backup copy.

                  Best,
                  kwc

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <naturedoc@...>