Re: [NTB] Why does Notetab Pro suddenly convert all text in a file to '...........'?

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
      Curious about one thing.

      I've set up "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
      in the shortcut properties, and

      H="Sync Commandline Params"
      ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Documents and
      Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" /?)$

      H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
      ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f

      in the clipbook, per your fabulously easy to follow instructions.

      When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
      desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"

      That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
      on the
      exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?

      I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
      letters designated: c e f.

      Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
      and f?

      Thanks,
      kwc

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > ken winston caine wrote:
      > > hssavage, you've helped me solve notetab issues before.
      > > Appreciate the continuing help.
      > >
      > > I use two drives, besides c, and they are labeled e and f.
      > > (e is my 250 gb mini drive and f is my backup drive.)
      > > Would be useful to flush both, I am sure. I only turn on the
      > > backup drive once a day when I run a backup. And I shut it off
      > > once the backup is run, so the command at computer shutdown
      > > would probably never run, but that's OK, I suppose.
      > >
      > > Please indulge my denseness: I am not getting what I need to do
      > > to actually create the suggested shortcut with the command line
      > > you and fw specified. Nor do I recall what I need to do to
      > > create a clip.
      > >
      > > Can you remind me what steps to take (very elementary stuff
      > > here, I'm sure) to get to the point where I am actually
      > > inputting the command line you've suggested?
      > >
      > > Very appreciative.
      > > kwc
      >
      > kwc,
      >
      > I'm not sure what you actually need so I'll try not to confuse the
      issue.

      > Create a shortcut for Sync.exe on the desktop as you would for any
      other
      > program, find Sync.exe, right-click on it, hold the right button
      down
      > and drag the mouse pointer to an open location on the desktop and
      > release the button. The resulting dialog offers a 'Create a
      Shortcut'
      > option. Select that option and a Sync.exe shortcut should appear.
      >
      > Right-click the shortcut, select 'Properties', the last entry in
      the
      > menu. The properties dialog appears and the 'Target' entry will be
      > similar to this;
      >
      > "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe"
      >
      > only it will reflect the location of your 'Sync.exe'
      >
      > Add the ( -r c e f ) as in the line below and click OK which will
      save
      > the modified shortcut.
      >
      > "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
      >
      > The -r is the flush-cache command, the c, e, f, represent the
      multiple
      > drive caches to flush, you can flush a single drive cache if you
      want,
      > for instance, only the drive the e drive, change the above
      parameters to
      > -r e.
      >
      > Be Sure To Include The Spaces Between The Parameters.
      >

      > Load your favorite ClipBook into the Clipbook Editor window,
      normally
      > the window on the left of the text editor window.
      >
      > Select the 2 small clips between the dashed lines, after you've
      edited
      > them to reflect the path to your 'Sync.exe', and copy the selection
      > the clipboard.
      >
      > Pick a spot in the clipbook editor window and right-click, click
      the
      > 'Add From Clipboard' selection and the clips are added to the
      clipbook.

      > Again, right-click the clipbook window, this time click the 'Save
      Now'
      > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
      >
      > ---------------------
      > H="Sync Commandline Params"
      > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
      >
      > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
      > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
      > ----------------------
      >
      > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
      >
      > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
      > drive
      > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
      >
      > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
      >
      > ·············································
      > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
      >
      > New Beer WARNING Label:
      > "The consumption of alcohol
      > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
      > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."
      > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
        On my copy of Sync 2.1 (pre Microsoft) I get "Flushing: C G" (where G is a
        removable disk).

        I suggest that perhaps all is not well.

        You do have "administrative privileges" ?

        fw

      • ken winston caine
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
          Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.

          I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

          Best,
          kwc

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Now'
          > > > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
          > > >
          > > > ---------------------
          > > > H="Sync Commandline Params"
          > > > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
          > > >
          > > > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
          > > > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
          > > > ----------------------
          > > >
          > > > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
          > > >
          > > > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
          > > > drive
          > > > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
          > > >
          > > > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
          > > >
          > > > ·············································
          > > > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
          > > >
          > > > New Beer WARNING Label:
          > > > "The consumption of alcohol
          > > > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
          > > > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
            --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

            > Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.
            >
            > I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

            This explains far better than I can

            https://apps.uillinois.edu/support/check_userright.html

            As a sole user you should have the necessary rights but it is best to check.

            fw
            PS the current version also returns "Flushing: C G"
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
              ken winston caine wrote:
              > Curious about one thing.
              >
              > I've set up
              "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
              > in the shortcut properties, and
              >
              > When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
              > desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"
              >
              > That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
              > on the
              > exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?
              >
              > I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
              > letters designated: c e f.
              >
              > Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
              > and f?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > kwc

              kwc,

              I see the same thing you do but I believe it's because the dos window
              closes so quickly you don't get a chance to see the full output response.

              Try replacing you clip with this one. It displays the complete output
              and gives you time to read it.

              I edited this clip using your path so all you have to do is replace the
              clip. It then displays the output in an ^!Info [L] box.

              --------------------
              H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
              ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
              ^!Info [L]^$GetOutput("C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r
              c e f)$
              --------------------

              This is a 2 line clip, make sure it appears that way when you add it to
              your clipbook.

              ºvº SL-11-95 -created- 2007.11.12 - 18.38.18

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              "Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire"
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 13, 2007
                Hi
                As something else to try have you tried going into, right clicking on
                external drive and going to properties then hardware then policies and
                check if the caching or "optimize for quick removal" is turned on ??
                THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]
                >> Now'
                >> > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
                >> >
                >> > ---------------------
                >> > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                >> > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                >> >
                >> > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                >> > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                >> > ----------------------
                >> >
                >> > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                >> >
                >> > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                >> > drive
                >> > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                >> >
                >> > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                >> >
                >> > ·············································
                >> > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
                >> >
                >> > New Beer WARNING Label:
                >> > "The consumption of alcohol
                >> > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                >> > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

              • ken winston caine
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                  That did it! (The new, two-line clip.)

                  Thanks a lot.

                  It tells me that it DID flush all the removeable drives. I suspect that
                  you were right, that it flashed so quickly I simply couldn't see that
                  it was doing what it was supposed to be doing.

                  Best,
                  kwc
                • ken winston caine
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                    Thanks, Dave, for suggesting that. It aleady had "quick removal"
                    checked.

                    Best,
                    kwc
                  • ken winston caine
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                      Thanks again.

                      Case closed unless I fire up some morning and discover another years'
                      long research file has disappeared into the world of indecipherable
                      corruption.

                      Incidentally, I have set my backup drive and program so that it no
                      longer automatically backs up (synchs files) upon booting. Having it
                      set that way was a terrible mistake, no matter how convenient it was.
                      Mistake because it meant if a file had corrupted on shutdown, that upon
                      booting the corrupted file was synched to the backup drive, thus wiping
                      out my NON-corrupted backup copy.

                      Best,
                      kwc

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <naturedoc@...>