Re: [NTB] Why does Notetab Pro suddenly convert all text in a file to '...........'?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
      ken winston caine wrote:
      > fw:
      >
      > Are you using Synch with an external drive?
      >
      > I can get it to let me enter any data. I click
      > on the exe file and it runs in about a half second
      > -- in just a flash before my eyes -- and shuts down.
      > Apears to have flushed the c drive. I need to set it to
      > -r, but don't see how to do that. Clearly I can't do it
      > by clicking on the exe file.
      >
      > Wondering if you know how I can open it and input the -r commad?
      >
      > You can write me off-group if you wish.
      >
      > Thanks. This really does look like it should solve the
      > problem once I get it working right.
      >
      > Best,
      > kwc

      kwc,

      You can accomplish this a few ways.
      Create a shortcut on the desktop with a commandline such as this;
      "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f

      or, create a couple of single line clips such as this;

      H="Sync Commandline Params"
      ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$

      H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
      ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f

      The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.

      The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included drive
      letters, supposedly, removable media drives.

      Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.

      ºvº SL-11-79 -created- 2007.11.10 - 18.19.44

      New Beer WARNING Label:
      "The consumption of alcohol
      Is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead."
      ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
        --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > H="Sync Commandline Params"
        > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
        >
        > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
        > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
        >
        > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
        >
        > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included drive
        > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.

        Works a treat on removable media under Win2000, use instead of -r, -e (for
        eject when finished.

        fw
      • ken winston caine
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
          Pretty sure, Dave.

          The file is only stored on the external drive. So I couldn't have
          opened it in the first place unless I was accessing it on the
          external drive. And when I hit control save it acts as though it has
          saved it. I'm not getting any message to the contrary.

          And nearly every day, I re-open the files I've worked on the previous
          day and they are fine. But three times (and just since adding this
          external drive -- thanks, fw, for bringing me to that awareness) the
          next day notetab can't open the file as anything other than an
          endless line of "................" and all my work has disappeared.
          And I get the message I cited earlier.

          I DO think it's a caching issue, as fw diagnosed.

          If you have another theory, I'm interested in hearing it.

          Best,
          kwc

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > Are you sure you are saving you files to the external drive , after
          it is
          > saved, notetab would not care one way or the other after
          that ,other that
          > it may try and go back to the drive when you next start.
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

        • ken winston caine
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
            hssavage, you've helped me solve notetab issues before. Appreciate the
            continuing help.

            I use two drives, besides c, and they are labeled e and f. (e is my
            250 gb mini drive and f is my backup drive.) Would be useful to flush
            both, I am sure. I only turn on the backup drive once a day when I
            run a backup. And I shut it off once the backup is run, so the
            command at computer shutdown would probably never run, but that's OK,
            I suppose.

            Please indulge my denseness: I am not getting what I need to do to
            actually create the suggested shortcut with the command line you and
            fw specified. Nor do I recall what I need to do to create a clip.

            Can you remind me what steps to take (very elementary stuff here, I'm
            sure) to get to the point where I am actually inputting the command
            line you've suggested?

            Very appreciative.
            kwc

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

            > ken winston caine wrote:
            > > fw:
            > >
            > > Are you using Synch with an external drive?
            > >
            > > I can get it to let me enter any data. I click
            > > on the exe file and it runs in about a half second
            > > -- in just a flash before my eyes -- and shuts down.
            > > Apears to have flushed the c drive. I need to set it to
            > > -r, but don't see how to do that. Clearly I can't do it
            > > by clicking on the exe file.
            > >
            > > Wondering if you know how I can open it and input the -r commad?
            > >
            > > You can write me off-group if you wish.
            > >
            > > Thanks. This really does look like it should solve the
            > > problem once I get it working right.
            > >
            > > Best,
            > > kwc
            >
            > kwc,
            >
            > You can accomplish this a few ways.
            > Create a shortcut on the desktop with a commandline such as this;
            > "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
            >
            > or, create a couple of single line clips such as this;
            >
            > H="Sync Commandline Params"
            > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
            >
            > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
            > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
            >
            > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
            >
            > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
            drive
            > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
            >
            > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
            >
            > ·············································
            > ºvº SL-11-79 -created- 2007.11.10 - 18.19.44
            >
            > New Beer WARNING Label:
            > "The consumption of alcohol
            > Is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead."
            > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
              ken winston caine wrote:
              > hssavage, you've helped me solve notetab issues before.
              > Appreciate the continuing help.
              >
              > I use two drives, besides c, and they are labeled e and f.
              > (e is my 250 gb mini drive and f is my backup drive.)
              > Would be useful to flush both, I am sure. I only turn on the
              > backup drive once a day when I run a backup. And I shut it off
              > once the backup is run, so the command at computer shutdown
              > would probably never run, but that's OK, I suppose.
              >
              > Please indulge my denseness: I am not getting what I need to do
              > to actually create the suggested shortcut with the command line
              > you and fw specified. Nor do I recall what I need to do to
              > create a clip.
              >
              > Can you remind me what steps to take (very elementary stuff
              > here, I'm sure) to get to the point where I am actually
              > inputting the command line you've suggested?
              >
              > Very appreciative.
              > kwc

              kwc,

              I'm not sure what you actually need so I'll try not to confuse the issue.

              Create a shortcut for Sync.exe on the desktop as you would for any other
              program, find Sync.exe, right-click on it, hold the right button down
              and drag the mouse pointer to an open location on the desktop and
              release the button. The resulting dialog offers a 'Create a Shortcut'
              option. Select that option and a Sync.exe shortcut should appear.

              Right-click the shortcut, select 'Properties', the last entry in the
              menu. The properties dialog appears and the 'Target' entry will be
              similar to this;

              "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe"

              only it will reflect the location of your 'Sync.exe'

              Add the ( -r c e f ) as in the line below and click OK which will save
              the modified shortcut.

              "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f

              The -r is the flush-cache command, the c, e, f, represent the multiple
              drive caches to flush, you can flush a single drive cache if you want,
              for instance, only the drive the e drive, change the above parameters to
              -r e.

              Be Sure To Include The Spaces Between The Parameters.

              Load your favorite ClipBook into the Clipbook Editor window, normally
              the window on the left of the text editor window.

              Select the 2 small clips between the dashed lines, after you've edited
              them to reflect the path to your 'Sync.exe', and copy the selection to
              the clipboard.

              Pick a spot in the clipbook editor window and right-click, click the
              'Add From Clipboard' selection and the clips are added to the clipbook.

              Again, right-click the clipbook window, this time click the 'Save Now'
              selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.

              ---------------------

              ----------------------

              The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.

              The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
              drive
              letters, supposedly, removable media drives.

              Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.

              ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22

              New Beer WARNING Label:
              "The consumption of alcohol
              May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
              whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • ken winston caine
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 11, 2007
                perfect! thanks.
> [...]

                Now'
                > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
                >
                > ---------------------
                > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                >
                > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                > ----------------------
                >
                > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                >
                > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                > drive
                > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                >
                > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                >
                > ·············································
                > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
                >
                > New Beer WARNING Label:
                > "The consumption of alcohol
                > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

              • ken winston caine
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                  Curious about one thing.

                  I've set up "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
                  in the shortcut properties, and

                  H="Sync Commandline Params"
                  ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Documents and
                  Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" /?)$

                  H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                  ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f

                  in the clipbook, per your fabulously easy to follow instructions.

                  When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
                  desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"

                  That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
                  on the
                  exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?

                  I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
                  letters designated: c e f.

                  Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
                  and f?

                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                    On my copy of Sync 2.1 (pre Microsoft) I get "Flushing: C G" (where G is a
                    removable disk).

                    I suggest that perhaps all is not well.

                    You do have "administrative privileges" ?

                    fw

                  • ken winston caine
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                      Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.

                      I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

                      Best,
                      kwc

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > Now'
                      > > > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
                      > > >
                      > > > ---------------------
                      > > > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                      > > > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                      > > >
                      > > > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                      > > > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                      > > > ----------------------
                      > > >
                      > > > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                      > > >
                      > > > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                      > > > drive
                      > > > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                      > > >
                      > > > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                      > > >
                      > > > ·············································
                      > > > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
                      > > >
                      > > > New Beer WARNING Label:
                      > > > "The consumption of alcohol
                      > > > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                      > > > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

                    • fw7oaks
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                        --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

                        > Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.
                        >
                        > I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

                        This explains far better than I can

                        https://apps.uillinois.edu/support/check_userright.html

                        As a sole user you should have the necessary rights but it is best to check.

                        fw
                        PS the current version also returns "Flushing: C G"
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                          ken winston caine wrote:
                          > Curious about one thing.
                          >
                          > I've set up
                          "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
                          > in the shortcut properties, and
                          >
                          > When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
                          > desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"
                          >
                          > That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
                          > on the
                          > exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?
                          >
                          > I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
                          > letters designated: c e f.
                          >
                          > Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
                          > and f?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > kwc

                          kwc,

                          I see the same thing you do but I believe it's because the dos window
                          closes so quickly you don't get a chance to see the full output response.

                          Try replacing you clip with this one. It displays the complete output
                          and gives you time to read it.

                          I edited this clip using your path so all you have to do is replace the
                          clip. It then displays the output in an ^!Info [L] box.

                          --------------------
                          H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                          ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
                          ^!Info [L]^$GetOutput("C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r
                          c e f)$
                          --------------------

                          This is a 2 line clip, make sure it appears that way when you add it to
                          your clipbook.

                          ºvº SL-11-95 -created- 2007.11.12 - 18.38.18

                          Newspaper HeadLine...
                          "Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire"
                          ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 13, 2007
                            Hi
                            As something else to try have you tried going into, right clicking on
                            external drive and going to properties then hardware then policies and
                            check if the caching or "optimize for quick removal" is turned on ??
                            THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]
                            >> Now'
                            >> > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
                            >> >
                            >> > ---------------------
                            >> > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                            >> > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                            >> >
                            >> > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                            >> > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                            >> > ----------------------
                            >> >
                            >> > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                            >> >
                            >> > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                            >> > drive
                            >> > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                            >> >
                            >> > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                            >> >
                            >> > ·············································
                            >> > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
                            >> >
                            >> > New Beer WARNING Label:
                            >> > "The consumption of alcohol
                            >> > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                            >> > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

                          • ken winston caine
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                              That did it! (The new, two-line clip.)

                              Thanks a lot.

                              It tells me that it DID flush all the removeable drives. I suspect that
                              you were right, that it flashed so quickly I simply couldn't see that
                              it was doing what it was supposed to be doing.

                              Best,
                              kwc
                            • ken winston caine
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                                Thanks, Dave, for suggesting that. It aleady had "quick removal"
                                checked.

                                Best,
                                kwc
                              • ken winston caine
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                                  Thanks again.

                                  Case closed unless I fire up some morning and discover another years'
                                  long research file has disappeared into the world of indecipherable
                                  corruption.

                                  Incidentally, I have set my backup drive and program so that it no
                                  longer automatically backs up (synchs files) upon booting. Having it
                                  set that way was a terrible mistake, no matter how convenient it was.
                                  Mistake because it meant if a file had corrupted on shutdown, that upon
                                  booting the corrupted file was synched to the backup drive, thus wiping
                                  out my NON-corrupted backup copy.

                                  Best,
                                  kwc

                                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <naturedoc@...>