Why does Notetab Pro suddenly convert all text in a file to '...........'?

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
      This has happened to me three times in the last two months, and each
      time with important and long files:

      After I boot my computer in the a.m. and open Notetab Pro, (as happened
      this morning) I get a message that some particular file (which was fine
      last night) "may be a binary file. 62513 non-text characters have been
      converted to '.' (Alt+0183)".

      Has anyone else experienced this?

      Is there anyway to undo this or recover my work?

      Any idea WHY this happens?

      Oh, so frustrating!

      Help appreciated.
      kwc
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
        Was the file in question on a removable disk, or USB stick ?

        fw

        --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

        > This has happened to me three times in the last two months, and each
        > time with important and long files:
        >
        > After I boot my computer in the a.m. and open Notetab Pro, (as happened
        > this morning) I get a message that some particular file (which was fine
        > last night) "may be a binary file. 62513 non-text characters have been
        > converted to '.' (Alt+0183)".
        >
        > Has anyone else experienced this?
        >
        > Is there anyway to undo this or recover my work?
        >
        > Any idea WHY this happens?
        >
        > Oh, so frustrating!
        >
        > Help appreciated.
        > kwc

      • ken winston caine
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

          > Was the file in question on a removable disk, or USB stick ?
          >

          > fw

          Indeed it was.

          And that's a good clue. This has only happened since I started using a
          250 gb mini hard-drive that I swap between computers.

          Why would that be a factor?

          Anything I can do to prevent the problem other than moving all my text
          files to the c drive?

          Thanks,
          kwc
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
            --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Was the file in question on a removable disk, or USB stick ?
            > >

            > > fw
            >
            > Indeed it was.
            >
            > And that's a good clue. This has only happened since I started using a
            > 250 gb mini hard-drive that I swap between computers.
            >
            > Why would that be a factor?

            I suspect the mini hard-drive has an onboard cache that the operating system
            writes to and reports back that the disk is written, so the operating system
            thinks it is safe to power down the system thus starving the disk's
            electronics. Without a power source the drive can't physically write the data
            out of the cache to the platters on the hard disk and the file becomes
            corrupted.

            > Anything I can do to prevent the problem other than moving all my text
            > files to the c drive?

            There's a free utility called 'sync' (
            http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Sync.mspx )
            that if run before shutting down should cure the problem.

            fw
          • ken winston caine
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
              Thanks.

              I THINK I understand. Amn looking into the software you suggested.

              Appreciate the help.

              kwc

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

              > --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Was the file in question on a removable disk, or USB stick ?
              > > >

              > > > fw
              > >
              > > Indeed it was.
              > >
              > > And that's a good clue. This has only happened since I started
              using a
              > > 250 gb mini hard-drive that I swap between computers.
              > >
              > > Why would that be a factor?
              >
              > I suspect the mini hard-drive has an onboard cache that the
              operating system
              > writes to and reports back that the disk is written, so the
              operating system
              > thinks it is safe to power down the system thus starving the disk's
              > electronics. Without a power source the drive can't physically
              write the data
              > out of the cache to the platters on the hard disk and the file
              becomes
              > corrupted.
              > >
              > > Anything I can do to prevent the problem other than moving all my
              text
              > > files to the c drive?
              > >
              > There's a free utility called 'sync' (

              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Sync.mspx )
              > that if run before shutting down should cure the problem.
              >
              > fw

            • ken winston caine
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
                fw:

                Are you using Synch with an external drive?

                I can get it to let me enter any data. I click on the exe file and it
                runs in about a half second -- in just a flash before my eyes -- and
                shuts down. Apears to have flushed the c drive. I need to set it to -
                r, but don't see how to do that. Clearly I can't do it by clicking on
                the exe file.

                Wondering if you know how I can open it and input the -r commad?

                You can write me off-group if you wish.

                Thanks. This really does look like it should solve the problem once I
                get it working right.

                Best,
                kwc

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

                > --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Was the file in question on a removable disk, or USB stick ?
                > > >

                > > > fw
                > >
                > > Indeed it was.
                > >
                > > And that's a good clue. This has only happened since I started
                using a
                > > 250 gb mini hard-drive that I swap between computers.
                > >
                > > Why would that be a factor?
                >
                > I suspect the mini hard-drive has an onboard cache that the
                operating system
                > writes to and reports back that the disk is written, so the
                operating system
                > thinks it is safe to power down the system thus starving the disk's
                > electronics. Without a power source the drive can't physically
                write the data
                > out of the cache to the platters on the hard disk and the file
                becomes
                > corrupted.
                > >
                > > Anything I can do to prevent the problem other than moving all my
                text
                > > files to the c drive?
                > >
                > There's a free utility called 'sync' (

                http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Sync.mspx )
                > that if run before shutting down should cure the problem.
                >
                > fw

              • fw7oaks
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
                  OK, here goes, I'll try and give you a physical representation of what is
                  happening.

                  Imagine for a moment that you have a multi-level garage with millions and
                  millions of parking spaces with lots of rows of parking spaces on many
                  different floors connected by a single ramp from level to level and a toll
                  booth down at street level, that's your hard disk. Now imagine your file as a
                  line of fifty thousand autos, some red, some blue, that's your file. To write
                  the file to disk is like parking every one of those autos in the garage. You
                  drive up get a ticket that tells you which level, (platter or wafer) which row
                  (cylinder) and which space to park in. The first auto says to the man in the
                  toll booth "Hi there's 50,000 of us". "OK" says the man in the toll booth as he
                  starts to make a note of which auto went where so that next time you need the
                  file (or read the disk) he knows where the bytes went.

                  Takes a long time, the computer is getting bored waiting for everybody to get
                  parked, so some bright-spark decides to build a large flat parking lot in front
                  of the multi-level garage, that's your cache.

                  Now when the computer sends a file to the hard disk (the multi-level garage)
                  the autos zoom into the parking lot (the cache) and the computer thinks the job
                  is done. In their own time the auto filter out of the parking lot into the
                  garage. This takes much longer, so long that if you have told the computer to
                  shut down the job might not be finished. Once the power if off the cache
                  disappears and next time computer goes to the multi-level garage the toll booth
                  reports back, "Yes, kwc's file is here, 50,000 autos", but when they try and
                  put it back together for you they find lots of holes where some of the autos
                  didn't get parked before the computer shut down, those are you missing bits.

                  I hope that has helped give you a rough idea of what I suspect is going on and
                  not confused you.

                  The Sync program just says "hurry up and don't report back that you are all
                  parked till you truly are".

                  fw

                  --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > I THINK I understand. Amn looking into the software you suggested.
                  >
                  > Appreciate the help.
                  >
                  > kwc
                  >
                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

                  > > > Indeed it was.
                  > > >
                  > > > And that's a good clue. This has only happened since I started
                  > using a
                  > > > 250 gb mini hard-drive that I swap between computers.
                  > > >
                  > > > Why would that be a factor?
                  > >
                  > > I suspect the mini hard-drive has an onboard cache that the
                  > operating system
                  > > writes to and reports back that the disk is written, so the
                  > operating system
                  > > thinks it is safe to power down the system thus starving the disk's
                  > > electronics. Without a power source the drive can't physically
                  > write the data
                  > > out of the cache to the platters on the hard disk and the file
                  > becomes
                  > > corrupted.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anything I can do to prevent the problem other than moving all my
                  > text
                  > > > files to the c drive?
                  > > >
                  > > There's a free utility called 'sync' (
                  > >
                  > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Sync.mspx )
                  > > that if run before shutting down should cure the problem.
                  > >
                  > > fw

                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 9, 2007
                    --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

                    > fw:
                    >
                    > Are you using Synch with an external drive?

                    Yes and No: I have external drives and drives using removable media and I have
                    sync but I use it when and if required, changing removable media for example
                    but not as part of my shutdown procedure.

                    > I can get it to let me enter any data. I click on the exe file and it
                    > runs in about a half second -- in just a flash before my eyes -- and
                    > shuts down. Apears to have flushed the c drive. I need to set it to -
                    > r, but don't see how to do that. Clearly I can't do it by clicking on
                    > the exe file.

                    You need to make yourself a new command file for shutting down something along
                    the lines of

                    sync -r :D <- where D: is the letter of your external drive
                    PsShutdown <-
                    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psshutdown.mspx

                    pop an icon on the desktop and use this instead.

                    fw

                    If you need more help, the address is at the top :-)
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
                      Hi
                      Are you sure you are saving you files to the external drive , after it is
                      saved, notetab would not care one way or the other after that ,other that
                      it may try and go back to the drive when you next start.
                      THANKYOU DAVE M

                      > This has happened to me three times in the last two months, and each
                      > time with important and long files:
                      >
                      > After I boot my computer in the a.m. and open Notetab Pro, (as happened
                      > this morning) I get a message that some particular file (which was fine
                      > last night) "may be a binary file. 62513 non-text characters have been
                      > converted to '.' (Alt+0183)".
                      >
                      > Has anyone else experienced this?
                      >
                      > Is there anyway to undo this or recover my work?
                      >
                      > Any idea WHY this happens?
                      >
                      > Oh, so frustrating!
                      >
                      > Help appreciated.
                      > kwc

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
                        ken winston caine wrote:
                        > fw:
                        >
                        > Are you using Synch with an external drive?
                        >
                        > I can get it to let me enter any data. I click
                        > on the exe file and it runs in about a half second
                        > -- in just a flash before my eyes -- and shuts down.
                        > Apears to have flushed the c drive. I need to set it to
                        > -r, but don't see how to do that. Clearly I can't do it
                        > by clicking on the exe file.
                        >
                        > Wondering if you know how I can open it and input the -r commad?
                        >
                        > You can write me off-group if you wish.
                        >
                        > Thanks. This really does look like it should solve the
                        > problem once I get it working right.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > kwc

                        kwc,

                        You can accomplish this a few ways.
                        Create a shortcut on the desktop with a commandline such as this;
                        "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f

                        or, create a couple of single line clips such as this;

                        H="Sync Commandline Params"
                        ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$

                        H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                        ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f

                        The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.

                        The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included drive
                        letters, supposedly, removable media drives.

                        Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.

                        ºvº SL-11-79 -created- 2007.11.10 - 18.19.44

                        New Beer WARNING Label:
                        "The consumption of alcohol
                        Is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead."
                        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                      • fw7oaks
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
                          --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                          [snip]

                          > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                          > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                          >
                          > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                          > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                          >
                          > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                          >
                          > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included drive
                          > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.

                          Works a treat on removable media under Win2000, use instead of -r, -e (for
                          eject when finished.

                          fw
                        • ken winston caine
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
                            Pretty sure, Dave.

                            The file is only stored on the external drive. So I couldn't have
                            opened it in the first place unless I was accessing it on the
                            external drive. And when I hit control save it acts as though it has
                            saved it. I'm not getting any message to the contrary.

                            And nearly every day, I re-open the files I've worked on the previous
                            day and they are fine. But three times (and just since adding this
                            external drive -- thanks, fw, for bringing me to that awareness) the
                            next day notetab can't open the file as anything other than an
                            endless line of "................" and all my work has disappeared.
                            And I get the message I cited earlier.

                            I DO think it's a caching issue, as fw diagnosed.

                            If you have another theory, I'm interested in hearing it.

                            Best,
                            kwc

                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

                            > Hi
                            > Are you sure you are saving you files to the external drive , after
                            it is
                            > saved, notetab would not care one way or the other after
                            that ,other that
                            > it may try and go back to the drive when you next start.
                            > THANKYOU DAVE M

                          • ken winston caine
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
                              hssavage, you've helped me solve notetab issues before. Appreciate the
                              continuing help.

                              I use two drives, besides c, and they are labeled e and f. (e is my
                              250 gb mini drive and f is my backup drive.) Would be useful to flush
                              both, I am sure. I only turn on the backup drive once a day when I
                              run a backup. And I shut it off once the backup is run, so the
                              command at computer shutdown would probably never run, but that's OK,
                              I suppose.

                              Please indulge my denseness: I am not getting what I need to do to
                              actually create the suggested shortcut with the command line you and
                              fw specified. Nor do I recall what I need to do to create a clip.

                              Can you remind me what steps to take (very elementary stuff here, I'm
                              sure) to get to the point where I am actually inputting the command
                              line you've suggested?

                              Very appreciative.
                              kwc

                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                              > ken winston caine wrote:
                              > > fw:
                              > >
                              > > Are you using Synch with an external drive?
                              > >
                              > > I can get it to let me enter any data. I click
                              > > on the exe file and it runs in about a half second
                              > > -- in just a flash before my eyes -- and shuts down.
                              > > Apears to have flushed the c drive. I need to set it to
                              > > -r, but don't see how to do that. Clearly I can't do it
                              > > by clicking on the exe file.
                              > >
                              > > Wondering if you know how I can open it and input the -r commad?
                              > >
                              > > You can write me off-group if you wish.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks. This really does look like it should solve the
                              > > problem once I get it working right.
                              > >
                              > > Best,
                              > > kwc
                              >
                              > kwc,
                              >
                              > You can accomplish this a few ways.
                              > Create a shortcut on the desktop with a commandline such as this;
                              > "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                              >
                              > or, create a couple of single line clips such as this;
                              >
                              > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                              > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                              >
                              > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                              > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                              >
                              > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                              >
                              > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                              drive
                              > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                              >
                              > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                              >
                              > ·············································
                              > ºvº SL-11-79 -created- 2007.11.10 - 18.19.44
                              >
                              > New Beer WARNING Label:
                              > "The consumption of alcohol
                              > Is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead."
                              > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 10, 2007
                                ken winston caine wrote:
                                > hssavage, you've helped me solve notetab issues before.
                                > Appreciate the continuing help.
                                >
                                > I use two drives, besides c, and they are labeled e and f.
                                > (e is my 250 gb mini drive and f is my backup drive.)
                                > Would be useful to flush both, I am sure. I only turn on the
                                > backup drive once a day when I run a backup. And I shut it off
                                > once the backup is run, so the command at computer shutdown
                                > would probably never run, but that's OK, I suppose.
                                >
                                > Please indulge my denseness: I am not getting what I need to do
                                > to actually create the suggested shortcut with the command line
                                > you and fw specified. Nor do I recall what I need to do to
                                > create a clip.
                                >
                                > Can you remind me what steps to take (very elementary stuff
                                > here, I'm sure) to get to the point where I am actually
                                > inputting the command line you've suggested?
                                >
                                > Very appreciative.
                                > kwc

                                kwc,

                                I'm not sure what you actually need so I'll try not to confuse the issue.

                                Create a shortcut for Sync.exe on the desktop as you would for any other
                                program, find Sync.exe, right-click on it, hold the right button down
                                and drag the mouse pointer to an open location on the desktop and
                                release the button. The resulting dialog offers a 'Create a Shortcut'
                                option. Select that option and a Sync.exe shortcut should appear.

                                Right-click the shortcut, select 'Properties', the last entry in the
                                menu. The properties dialog appears and the 'Target' entry will be
                                similar to this;

                                "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe"

                                only it will reflect the location of your 'Sync.exe'

                                Add the ( -r c e f ) as in the line below and click OK which will save
                                the modified shortcut.

                                "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f

                                The -r is the flush-cache command, the c, e, f, represent the multiple
                                drive caches to flush, you can flush a single drive cache if you want,
                                for instance, only the drive the e drive, change the above parameters to
                                -r e.

                                Be Sure To Include The Spaces Between The Parameters.

                                Load your favorite ClipBook into the Clipbook Editor window, normally
                                the window on the left of the text editor window.

                                Select the 2 small clips between the dashed lines, after you've edited
                                them to reflect the path to your 'Sync.exe', and copy the selection to
                                the clipboard.

                                Pick a spot in the clipbook editor window and right-click, click the
                                'Add From Clipboard' selection and the clips are added to the clipbook.

                                Again, right-click the clipbook window, this time click the 'Save Now'
                                selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.

                                ---------------------

                                ----------------------

                                The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.

                                The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                                drive
                                letters, supposedly, removable media drives.

                                Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.

                                ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22

                                New Beer WARNING Label:
                                "The consumption of alcohol
                                May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                                whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."
                                ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                              • ken winston caine
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 11, 2007
                                  perfect! thanks.
> [...]

                                  Now'
                                  > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
                                  >
                                  > ---------------------
                                  > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                                  > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                                  >
                                  > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                                  > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                                  > ----------------------
                                  >
                                  > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                                  >
                                  > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                                  > drive
                                  > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                                  >
                                  > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                                  >
                                  > ·············································
                                  > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
                                  >
                                  > New Beer WARNING Label:
                                  > "The consumption of alcohol
                                  > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                                  > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

                                • ken winston caine
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                                    Curious about one thing.

                                    I've set up "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
                                    in the shortcut properties, and

                                    H="Sync Commandline Params"
                                    ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Documents and
                                    Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" /?)$

                                    H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                                    ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f

                                    in the clipbook, per your fabulously easy to follow instructions.

                                    When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
                                    desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"

                                    That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
                                    on the
                                    exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?

                                    I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
                                    letters designated: c e f.

                                    Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
                                    and f?

                                  • fw7oaks
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                                      On my copy of Sync 2.1 (pre Microsoft) I get "Flushing: C G" (where G is a
                                      removable disk).

                                      I suggest that perhaps all is not well.

                                      You do have "administrative privileges" ?

                                    • ken winston caine
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                                        Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.

                                        I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

                                        Best,
                                        kwc

                                      • fw7oaks
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                                          --- ken winston caine <naturedoc@...> wrote:

                                          > Gosh, I'm pretty sure, FW.
                                          >
                                          > I'm the *only* user. How would I check that?

                                          This explains far better than I can

                                          https://apps.uillinois.edu/support/check_userright.html

                                          As a sole user you should have the necessary rights but it is best to check.

                                          fw
                                          PS the current version also returns "Flushing: C G"
                                        • hsavage
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 12, 2007
                                            ken winston caine wrote:
                                            > Curious about one thing.
                                            >
                                            > I've set up
                                            "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
                                            > in the shortcut properties, and
                                            >
                                            > When I click on flush in the clipbook or on the shortcut on my
                                            > desktop, Sync opens and shows that it is "flushing: C"
                                            >
                                            > That's what I was seeing before I set all this up whenever I clicked
                                            > on the
                                            > exe file. Maybe that's all it ever shows?
                                            >
                                            > I was expecting it to show that it was flushing the specific drive
                                            > letters designated: c e f.
                                            >
                                            > Do you think all is well if it is not showing that it is flushing e
                                            > and f?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > kwc

                                            kwc,

                                            I see the same thing you do but I believe it's because the dos window
                                            closes so quickly you don't get a chance to see the full output response.

                                            Try replacing you clip with this one. It displays the complete output
                                            and gives you time to read it.

                                            I edited this clip using your path so all you have to do is replace the
                                            clip. It then displays the output in an ^!Info [L] box.

                                            --------------------
                                            H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                                            ^!Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r c e f
                                            ^!Info [L]^$GetOutput("C:\Documents and Settings\x\Desktop\sync.exe" -r
                                            c e f)$
                                            --------------------

                                            This is a 2 line clip, make sure it appears that way when you add it to
                                            your clipbook.

                                            ºvº SL-11-95 -created- 2007.11.12 - 18.38.18

                                            Newspaper HeadLine...
                                            "Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire"
                                            ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                                          • Dave
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 13, 2007
                                              Hi
                                              As something else to try have you tried going into, right clicking on
                                              external drive and going to properties then hardware then policies and
                                              check if the caching or "optimize for quick removal" is turned on ??
                                              THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]
                                              >> Now'
                                              >> > selection. This insures the modified clipbook is saved to disk.
                                              >> >
                                              >> > ---------------------
                                              >> > H="Sync Commandline Params"
                                              >> > ^!Info [L]^$GetDosOutput("C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" /?)$
                                              >> >
                                              >> > H="Sync - Flush Drive Cache"
                                              >> > ^!Shell "C:\Misc Tools\sync\sync.exe" -r c e f
                                              >> > ----------------------
                                              >> >
                                              >> > The first clip displays 'Sync' command line parameters.
                                              >> >
                                              >> > The second clip flushes the disk cache for any of the included
                                              >> > drive
                                              >> > letters, supposedly, removable media drives.
                                              >> >
                                              >> > Adjust the 'Sync' path to suit your setup.
                                              >> >
                                              >> > ·············································
                                              >> > ºvº SL-11-80 -created- 2007.11.10 - 23.39.22
                                              >> >
                                              >> > New Beer WARNING Label:
                                              >> > "The consumption of alcohol
                                              >> > May cause a disturbance in the time-space continuum,
                                              >> > whereby gaps of time may seem to literally disappear."

                                            • ken winston caine
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                                                That did it! (The new, two-line clip.)

                                                Thanks a lot.

                                                It tells me that it DID flush all the removeable drives. I suspect that
                                                you were right, that it flashed so quickly I simply couldn't see that
                                                it was doing what it was supposed to be doing.

                                                Best,
                                                kwc
                                              • ken winston caine
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                                                  Thanks, Dave, for suggesting that. It aleady had "quick removal"
                                                  checked.

                                                  Best,
                                                  kwc
                                                • ken winston caine
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 15, 2007
                                                    Thanks again.

                                                    Case closed unless I fire up some morning and discover another years'
                                                    long research file has disappeared into the world of indecipherable
                                                    corruption.

                                                    Incidentally, I have set my backup drive and program so that it no
                                                    longer automatically backs up (synchs files) upon booting. Having it
                                                    set that way was a terrible mistake, no matter how convenient it was.
                                                    Mistake because it meant if a file had corrupted on shutdown, that upon
                                                    booting the corrupted file was synched to the backup drive, thus wiping
                                                    out my NON-corrupted backup copy.

                                                    Best,
                                                    kwc

                                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <naturedoc@...>