Re: Red-lining (was [NTB] Full version question)

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
      Website Managers said the following on 2007/10/31 13:50:
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On the other hand there are tracking and
      >> red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
      >> benefit from having.
      >>

      > For red-lining, I save a document as a .html and use the URL and HTML
      > highlighting syntax to track changes.
      >
      > Example: <old text> new text
      >
      > The <old text> will be highlighted similar to a URL will and allow me
      > to scan through a document for quick updates. Once completed, I can
      > then save it as a text document, outline, etc.

      Jim:
      Brilliant! - for some reason I'd never realized that would work. :-)
      As an addendum - I just went into Options - HTML files and added "txt"
      as an HTML file type. Highlighting works as you describe w/o having to
      fool around with file type. So far I haven't seen any downside to it. In
      Options - Colors I changed "HTML tags" from Blue to Red so now I have
      red-lining instead of blue-lining.

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
        Website Managers wrote:
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
        >> On the other hand there are tracking and
        >> red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
        >> benefit from having.
        >
        > For red-lining, I save a document as a .html and use the URL and HTML
        > highlighting syntax to track changes.
        >
        > Example: <old text> new text
        >
        > The <old text> will be highlighted similar to a URL will and allow me
        > to scan through a document for quick updates. Once completed, I can
        > then save it as a text document, outline, etc.
        >
        > Jim

        Interesting concept Jim. Of course for multi-person jobs (example I
        often edit books that are passed through the author, grammar editors,
        content editors, technical editors) this may not be fully effective.
        But this is an option and I suppose you could add a title and date
        attribute to your made up tag as well and insert via a clip. Interesting.
      • langbeny
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
          What exactly is red-lining and what is a clip?

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

          > Website Managers wrote:
          > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@>
          wrote:
          > >> On the other hand there are tracking and
          > >> red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author
          cycles
          > >> benefit from having.
          > >
          > > For red-lining, I save a document as a .html and use the URL and
          HTML
          > > highlighting syntax to track changes.
          > >
          > > Example: <old text> new text
          > >
          > > The <old text> will be highlighted similar to a URL will and
          allow me
          > > to scan through a document for quick updates. Once completed, I
          can
          > > then save it as a text document, outline, etc.
          > >
          > > Jim
          > >
          > Interesting concept Jim. Of course for multi-person jobs (example
          > often edit books that are passed through the author, grammar
          editors,
          > content editors, technical editors) this may not be fully
          effective.
          > But this is an option and I suppose you could add a title and date
          > attribute to your made up tag as well and insert via a clip.
          Interesting.

        • Matt Clark
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
            Kerry,

            Unfortunately, I don't have his original e-mail.

            Matt
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "langbeny" <langben@...> wrote:

              > What exactly is red-lining and what is a clip?

              Red-lining is keeping changed or deleted text in a document but making
              it look different (in this case, a different color).

              A clip is a NoteTab macro or scriptlet.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                In NoteTab pressing F4 should open and close its library pane. Each item
                with the pane is a clip with special functionality. For me this is the heart
                of this program.

                Clips can do some amazing tasks. Look up Clip Basics under Help F1 for a
                nice intro. I stuck with the basic "surround" for the longest time.

                Best,
                Corl

                _____