Full version question

  • Matt Clark
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
      I started using NoteTab Light some years ago because I wanted a notepad type program that would store messages of any length. I have used MS Word as my main word processor for corresponence, professional writing, etc. My question is: What does a fuller version of NoteTab offer that makes it preferable to a program like Word or Wordperfect? Please reply backchannel because I don't want your list cluttered with replies to a fairly dumb question.

      Thanks.

      Matt Clark

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
        Matt Clark wrote:
        > I started using NoteTab Light some years ago because I wanted a notepad type program that would store messages of any length. I have used MS Word as my main word processor for corresponence, professional writing, etc. My question is: What does a fuller version of NoteTab offer that makes it preferable to a program like Word or Wordperfect? Please reply backchannel because I don't want your list cluttered with replies to a fairly dumb question.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Matt Clark

        Dear Matt,

        I think it is a fair question to have on the list. Many probably wonder
        the same thing.

        There is a comparison chart here between versions of notetab:
        http://notetab.com/chart.php

        There are speed advantages over light, you have multiple levels of undo,
        etc. with the pro version. You also gain the dictionary/thesaurus if
        that is helpful.

        Word and Word Perfect are word processors, this is a plain text
        processor. You don't do formatting here. But this program is
        infinitely more powerful. On the other hand there are tracking and
        red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
        benefit from having.

        Probably the most compelling thing to me in buying Pro was line numbers
        on documents and multiple undo levels -- plus just supporting a great
        program with my purchase. I never use a word processor unless forced
        to, but I am not formatting for output I am working on content. I find
        formatting can be distracting to me.

        Don
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
          I think the simplest explanation is that Word and others like it are a
          "word Processing" program, and are format based, NoteTab ois a TEXT
          Engine.

          It does an incredible amount of functions on text.

          If you want formatted word processing documents, letters, and
          presentation styles, then you need a word Processor, but if you are
          manipulating data, configuring text in any way, then NoteTab is a great
          program.

          If it is a text only function, then NoteTab can handle it.

          Jeff
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
            Definitely some good points there. I found that all the "fluff" word
            processors tend to add to documents is so largely unnecessary for pretty
            much everything I do.

            If I really want to make something look pretty, I will...but most of the
            time I just want to type things up in a no frills-type fashion.

            The file size is another benefit...not because most people don't have
            the space, mind you...and yes, you can save in plain text via a WP as
            well. But a Word 2007 file with one word in it is 10 times larger than
            a plain text document. :P

            The clips are huge for me because it saves typing and performs so many
            different functions that other WP's simply cannot.

            Most important to me? Outlines. I use them every single day. I can
            make clips, integrate them into documentation (I'm a Network Engineer)
            and make my job soooo much easier.

            I can have an entire documentation set in an Outline format that people
            can simply open up in NoteTab and look over to find everything that they
            need in order to service a job site, for example.

            NoteTab's portability is also fantastic, seeing as you can run it from a
            USB drive with minimal effort.

            I simply want to get down to business and have a convenient way of doing
            so with clips, outlines and other features that (quite simply) really
            really help me out with my tasks at hand.

            Brian

            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

            > There are speed advantages over light, you have multiple levels of undo,
            > etc. with the pro version. You also gain the dictionary/thesaurus if
            > that is helpful.
            >
            > Word and Word Perfect are word processors, this is a plain text
            > processor. You don't do formatting here. But this program is
            > infinitely more powerful. On the other hand there are tracking and
            > red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
            > benefit from having.
            >
            > Probably the most compelling thing to me in buying Pro was line numbers
            > on documents and multiple undo levels -- plus just supporting a great
            > program with my purchase. I never use a word processor unless forced
            > to, but I am not formatting for output I am working on content. I find
            > formatting can be distracting to me.
            >
            > Don
          • Website Managers
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
              > On the other hand there are tracking and
              > red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
              > benefit from having.

              For red-lining, I save a document as a .html and use the URL and HTML
              highlighting syntax to track changes.

              Example: <old text> new text

              The <old text> will be highlighted similar to a URL will and allow me
              to scan through a document for quick updates. Once completed, I can
              then save it as a text document, outline, etc.

              Jim
            • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                Brian,
                How do you run NoteTab from a USB port?

                Hugs,
                Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                http://www.network-marketing-mlm-business.com
                http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com/pekes-family.htm

                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                > There are speed advantages over light, you have multiple levels of undo,
                > etc. with the pro version. You also gain the dictionary/thesaurus if
                > that is helpful.
                >
                > Word and Word Perfect are word processors, this is a plain text
                > processor. You don't do formatting here. But this program is
                > infinitely more powerful. On the other hand there are tracking and
                > red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
                > benefit from having.
                >
                > Probably the most compelling thing to me in buying Pro was line numbers
                > on documents and multiple undo levels -- plus just supporting a great
                > program with my purchase. I never use a word processor unless forced
                > to, but I am not formatting for output I am working on content. I find
                > formatting can be distracting to me.
                >
                > Don

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                  Realistically you can just copy the working folder on your USB drive and
                  use it straight away.

                  The things you may want to change are where the data locations are, however.

                  I use PSTART (free) so that I have a little menu when I insert my USB
                  drive. I then add a new application to it and point it to NoteTab.

                  Grab the Notepro.ini file from your application data folder, copy it in
                  your NoteTab folder on the USB drive and edit the file so it doesn't use
                  the old profile folder.

                  Here's a quick slide I put together:
                  http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/notetab_usb.htm

                  You can reference that page to see what I personally do to get it
                  running. You don't have to use PSTART, but I just find it handy, since
                  it works independent of what your USB drive letter is on all machines.

                  Hope it helps ;)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                    Thank you !!!

                    Hugs,
                    Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                    http://www.network-marketing-mlm-business.com
                    http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                    http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                    http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com/pekes-family.htm

                    Realistically you can just copy the working folder on your USB drive and
                    use it straight away.

                    The things you may want to change are where the data locations are, however.

                    I use PSTART (free) so that I have a little menu when I insert my USB
                    drive. I then add a new application to it and point it to NoteTab.

                    Grab the Notepro.ini file from your application data folder, copy it in
                    your NoteTab folder on the USB drive and edit the file so it doesn't use
                    the old profile folder.

                    Here's a quick slide I put together:
                    http://www.bndservices.com/notetab/notetab_usb.htm

                    You can reference that page to see what I personally do to get it
                    running. You don't have to use PSTART, but I just find it handy, since
                    it works independent of what your USB drive letter is on all machines.

                    Hope it helps ;)

                    GilaMountainDulcimers.com wrote:

                    > Brian,
                    > How do you run NoteTab from a USB port?
                    >
                    > Hugs,
                    > Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                    > http://www.network-marketing-mlm-business.com
                    > <http://www.network-marketing-mlm-business.com>
                    > http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                    > <http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com>
                    > http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com <http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com>
                    > http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com/pekes-family.htm
                    > <http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com/pekes-family.htm>

                  • Matt Clark
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                      I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my query regarding NoteTab. I would appreciate getting the address of Bruce Meyers so I can reply to him directly. Thanks.

                      Matt Clark

                    • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                        Matt,
                        Just right click on his message and then click on "Properties". Highlight the e-addy and paste it into the "To" line in a new email.

                      • buralex@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                          Website Managers said the following on 2007/10/31 13:50:
                          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> On the other hand there are tracking and
                          >> red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
                          >> benefit from having.
                          >>

                          > For red-lining, I save a document as a .html and use the URL and HTML
                          > highlighting syntax to track changes.
                          >
                          > Example: <old text> new text
                          >
                          > The <old text> will be highlighted similar to a URL will and allow me
                          > to scan through a document for quick updates. Once completed, I can
                          > then save it as a text document, outline, etc.

                          Jim:
                          Brilliant! - for some reason I'd never realized that would work. :-)
                          As an addendum - I just went into Options - HTML files and added "txt"
                          as an HTML file type. Highlighting works as you describe w/o having to
                          fool around with file type. So far I haven't seen any downside to it. In
                          Options - Colors I changed "HTML tags" from Blue to Red so now I have
                          red-lining instead of blue-lining.

                          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                            Website Managers wrote:
                            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                            >> On the other hand there are tracking and
                            >> red-lining features in those programs that some editor/author cycles
                            >> benefit from having.
                            >
                            > For red-lining, I save a document as a .html and use the URL and HTML
                            > highlighting syntax to track changes.
                            >
                            > Example: <old text> new text
                            >
                            > The <old text> will be highlighted similar to a URL will and allow me
                            > to scan through a document for quick updates. Once completed, I can
                            > then save it as a text document, outline, etc.
                            >
                            > Jim

                            Interesting concept Jim. Of course for multi-person jobs (example I
                            often edit books that are passed through the author, grammar editors,
                            content editors, technical editors) this may not be fully effective.
                            But this is an option and I suppose you could add a title and date
                            attribute to your made up tag as well and insert via a clip. Interesting.
                          • langbeny
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                              What exactly is red-lining and what is a clip?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                                Kerry,

                                Unfortunately, I don't have his original e-mail.

                                Matt

                                I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my query regarding NoteTab. I would appreciate getting the address of Bruce Meyers so I can reply to him directly. Thanks.

                                Matt Clark

                              • Sheri
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "langbeny" <langben@...> wrote:

                                  > What exactly is red-lining and what is a clip?

                                  Red-lining is keeping changed or deleted text in a document but making
                                  it look different (in this case, a different color).

                                  A clip is a NoteTab macro or scriptlet.

                                  Regards,
                                  Sheri
                                • Corl DeLuna
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                                    In NoteTab pressing F4 should open and close its library pane. Each item
                                    with the pane is a clip with special functionality. For me this is the heart
                                    of this program.

                                    Clips can do some amazing tasks. Look up Clip Basics under Help F1 for a
                                    nice intro. I stuck with the basic "surround" for the longest time.

                                    Best,
                                    Corl

                                    _____