Re: Patches to upgrade NoteTab v4.0x to v4.5

  • Richard Bergman
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
      Op 10:44 03-09-1998 -0600, Elaine Normandy wrote:
      >I copied my NoteTab 4.011 (obtained and registered via Ideaware) to the
      >notetab direction, after deleting the beta files. I then copied the
      >ntp45iw1.exe to that directory and ran it. I got a message that said
      >
      >"The patch is not applicable to it or you denied to do so. Please use the
      >"browse button" to choose the target software and then press the "Apply"
      >button.
      >
      >I did this with the notetab.exe and got the following error messages
      >
      >Error, cannot create new file, but patch software won't work without it.
      >Error, patch is not applicable to current directory.

      I got the same problem. The only difference with the situation above is, that
      I tried it with the original NoteTab Pro 4.011/iw (obtained and registered
      via
      Ideaware). Thus I didn't used any beta.

      Kind Regards,
      Richard Bergman

    • John Kidwell
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
        Here's what I've been able to figure out about the patch problem.

        I have both PRO and SUPER in the same directory. The PRO patch worked
        fine, the SUPER failed. This seems to be because certain auxiliary
        files are naturally missing (file_id.diz, license.txt). Since both
        were installed into the same directory, the PRO overwrote the SUPER.

        The bottom line seems to be that the patch program needs to update the
        files it *does* find instead of failing because a non-essential
        file is missing.

        Or, alternatively, there needs to be "executable only" patches
        provided as well.

        Without this all, I can do is reinstall the original kits, patches etc.
        over the top of my existing V4.011/IW files and I'd really rather not
        do this.

      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
          Hi Elaine and the rest of you,

          >I copied my NoteTab 4.011 (obtained and registered via Ideaware) to the
          >notetab direction, after deleting the beta files. I then copied the
          >ntp45iw1.exe to that directory and ran it. I got a message that said
          >
          >"The patch is not applicable to it or you denied to do so. Please use the
          >"browse button" to choose the target software and then press the "Apply"
          >button.

          Seems like I have to read through the documentation again. I didn't realize
          it would be this sensitive. What I am seeing here is that if the files in
          the directory don't exactly match those in the patch file (or if they have
          been modified), then the process fails.

          Sorry about all this mess. I'm sure it's my fault and I'll do all I can to
          fix this...

          Best regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
          Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
          and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

        • Baba Baba Baba Booey
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
            On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 13:56:26 -0500, Lawrence R. Thomas babbled about
            Re: Patches to upgrade NoteTab v4.0x to v4.5 proclaiming:

            >I have tried all three NTP patches in the original directory, in the new
            >directory, with the IDEAMKT.CFG and the Ideawr32.dll in the NoteTab folder
            >and with them in Win95 (IDEAMKT.CFG) and Win95\System (Ideawr32.dll)
            >respectively. I get the same error messages as Elaine and Kay.
            >
            >I have version 4.011/iw and have applied ntp45iw0.exe, ntp45iw1.exe, and
            >ntp45uc1.exe all with the same resulting messages.

            It's indeed a bitch. I deleted my copy of Super NoteTab in favour of
            the beta version. Actually that's a lie. I let it overwrite my copy.
            Bad mistake of course. Where do I get it again? Didn't know. Luckily I
            had 4.01 on an unlabelled floppy disk (two disks actually). But does
            the patch work on it? NOOOOOOO! Fortunately I had a copy of 4.0 as
            well (the install program) and the patch worked on that one.

            Sean & Mona: a great tradition since 1996
            Running on Internet Explorer 5.0
            Churches should stay out of politics or be taxed!

          • Kay Hayen
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 1998
              Hi,

              Eric informed me about problems he had with using the BinPatch and
              we hopefully resolved them.

              1. One thing that needs to be clear is that patch files need matching
              source files. You cannot apply them to any version, but just those
              that Eric created them for.

              2. There are ways in BinPatch to be not so picky about unimportant
              files and Eric did not initially use them. Newer patch files should
              not require anything but a matching version of the NoteTab.exe or
              whatever it is.

              Anyway. Even then, reinstalling your NoteTab and then applying the
              patch file will work for now. At a later time there will surely be
              patch files to be more tolerant about your changes to .clb files
              which is of course a must.

              I'd like to take the blame of this. Not so much with not having the
              software to allow doing perfect patch files, but with not having all
              caveats documented. Unfortunately Eric ran into a few. It should be
              beta tested... ;-)

              Greetings, Kay Hayen author of BinPatch (http://kayhayen.com)

            • Kay Hayen
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 1998
                Hi again,

                > Sorry about all this mess. I'm sure it's my fault and I'll do all I can to
                > fix this...

                As written elsewhere. I'll accept the blame. It is documented, but who
                reads documentations completely? ;-) I'll pronounce such important things
                more clearly.

                Greetings, Kay