Problems opening many files at once from Windows "search".

  • Robbie Hatley
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
      Greetings, group. This is my first post here. I've been using
      NoteTab as my primary text editor for years, having found
      Microslop's editors either too wimpy (Notepad) or too bloated
      (Wordpad, Word). NoteTab works great, but does present a few
      rough edges from time to time. Such as now.

      The thing I'm trying to do right now is, I need to open large
      numbers of files from a Windows search window into NoteTab.
      I find I can only open about 30 at once without getting massive
      numbers of Dr. Watson instances popping up telling me that
      "NoteTab has caused an error and will be shut down".

      I tried keeping an eye on Windows Task Manager, and I see that
      when I open 30 files at once, very briefly 30 instances of the
      NoteTab process pop up! Then a split-second later, all but one
      disappear. It's as if Notetab first opens a separate instance
      for each incoming file, THEN notices "Oops! Multiple instances!",
      transfers the file to the first instance, and kills the second
      instance. Because the files are coming in from outside faster
      than it can keep up, it crashes.

      I've never had this happen when opening 50 or 60 files while
      programming, but that's from within NoteTab, using File/Open,
      so it can control the rate at which it opens files. But
      unfortunately, that won't work for my current task, because
      the files are scattered all over my computer, and there's
      thousands of them, so I've been searching for the files that
      need editing using Windows search, selecting groups of 30,
      right-click, "Open in NoteTab".

      The situation is this: I'm recoving from a Win32/Virut
      virus infection, so I need to edit viral insertions from about
      13,000 asp, aspx, php, htm, and html files. Each infected
      file has an iframe inserted linking to ntkrnlpa.info, which is
      a virus server. (Don't visit that site! It may infest your
      computer!) So I find the files, open them, then do a global
      replace of:
      <ifraeme src="hxxp://ntkrnlpa.info/rc/?i=1" width=1 height=1
      style="border:0"></ifraeme>
      replacing it with "" (the empty string).

      So the bottom line is... is there any way of opening many files
      at once into NoteTab from an external source without causing
      NoteTab to crash?

      --
      Cheers,
      Robbie Hatley
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
        Op zondag 28 oktober 2007 11:04 schreef Robbie Hatley:

        > So the bottom line is... is there any way of opening many files
        > at once into NoteTab from an external source without causing
        > NoteTab to crash?

        Did you try to open Notetab from the start menu and drag the files from the search window to it?

        Alex.
      • Robbie Hatley
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
          Alex wrote:

          > Did you try to open Notetab from the start menu and drag the files from
          > the search window to it?

          As I said in my previous message, I selected the files, right clicked, and selected
          "Open in NoteTab". (Custom file association.)

          Do you believe that dragging and dropping will eliminate the crashes? If so,
          based on what reasoning? Or is this just a guess?

          It's worth a try, I suppose. I don't have time to try it out at this moment, though;
          it will have to wait till later.

          --
          Cheers,
          Robbie Hatley
          lonewolf aatt well dott com
          www dott well dott com slant user slant lonewolf slant
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Robbie Hatley" <lonewolf@...> wrote:

            > So I find the files, open them, then do a global
            > replace of:
            > <ifraeme src="hxxp://ntkrnlpa.info/rc/?i=1" width=1 height=1
            > style="border:0"></ifraeme>
            > replacing it with "" (the empty string).

            I don't know which version of NoteTab you're using; if not using the
            latest you might try with it. The current version is 5.4. One of the
            improvements for version 5 was "Improved opening files through the
            Windows Shell and Send To feature."

            However, the type of thing you are doing could easily be done with the
            Search Disk dialog from within NoteTab. Standard or Pro could find the
            files that need changing and alter them without opening each one as a
            tabbed document. NoteTab Light has no replace option in the Search
            Disk dialog, but "find" works. It could find and open the files
            meeting the search criteria. If for some reason you prefer to open the
            files, the same thing also works in Standard and Pro if you use "find
            in files" instead of "replace in files". I believe using "replace in
            files" would be faster and easier than working with the opened files
            though.

            Also, if you use the "confirm" option you can preview which files
            would be opened or changed.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • Robbie Hatley
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
              Sheri wrote:

              > ... the type of thing you are doing could easily be done with the
              > Search Disk dialog from within NoteTab ...

              Oops. DOH!!! The answer was staring me in the face all this time,
              but I just didn't see it. For some reason I didn't even notice "Search Disk"
              in the Search menu, but there it is.

              > ... NoteTab Light has no replace option in the Search Disk dialog,
              > but "find" works ...

              I'm using the latest full version, bought and paid for. So I have all the latest
              nifty features... include some that I was apparently too lazy to notice! :-)

              I see "Search Disk" has a sub-tab called "Replace in Files". I should be able
              to set "File Mask" to "\\*.*" (all files in all directories on all drives), set
              "Find What" to the viral string, and leave "Replace With" blank.
              MUCH easier than the way I was doing it.

              Thanks for the tip!

              --
            • buralex@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
                "Robbie Hatley" <lonewolf@...> said on Oct 28, 2007 21:22 -0400
                (in part):
                > I see "Search Disk" has a sub-tab called "Replace in Files". I should
                > be able
                > to set "File Mask" to "\\*.*" (all files in all directories on all
                > drives), set
                > "Find What" to the viral string, and leave "Replace With" blank.
                > MUCH easier than the way I was doing it.
                Hmmm .... I have 1,027,000 files on my C:\ harddrive.
                Please post back with how long it takes Notetab to do a search-replace
                on ALL files in ALL folders with ALL extensions :-)

                Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Robbie Hatley" <lonewolf@...> wrote:

                  > I should be able to set "File Mask" to "\\*.*" (all files in all
                  > directories on all drives), set "Find What" to the viral string,
                  > and leave "Replace With" blank. MUCH easier than the way I was
                  > doing it.

                  Oh dear that would *not* have been my recommendation. :(

                  I would suggest to target files with specified extensions at the very
                  least. You wouldn't want to use NoteTab to edit exe file, for example.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 28, 2007
                    Ignore3,

                    Checking this group for email responses since this is the group that
                    failed earlier.

                    ºvº SL-10-225 -created- 2007.10.29 - 00.00.15

                    "Therapy is expensive,
                    Popping bubble wrap is cheap!
                    You choose."
                    ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 30, 2007
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                      > Ignore3,
                      >
                      > Checking this group for email responses since this is the group that
                      > failed earlier.

                      I always post from the website and lately my posts are appearing as
                      quickly as I post them.

                      Regards,
                      Sheri
                    • Robbie Hatley
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
                        Sheri wrote:

                        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Robbie Hatley" <lonewolf@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I should be able to set "File Mask" to "\\*.*" (all files in all
                        > > directories on all drives), set "Find What" to the viral string,
                        > > and leave "Replace With" blank. MUCH easier than the way I was
                        > > doing it.
                        >
                        > Oh dear that would *not* have been my recommendation. :(
                        > I would suggest to target files with specified extensions at the very
                        > least. You wouldn't want to use NoteTab to edit exe file, for example.

                        The problem is, it is known that Win32/Virut corrupts asp, aspx, php,
                        htm, and html files by adding the following string just before the closing
                        body tag:

                        {ifraeme src="hxxp://ntkrnlpa.info/rc/?i=1" width=1 height=1 style="border:0"}{/ifraeme}

                        (altered for safety: braces instead of angle-brackets, ifraeme instead of iframe,
                        and hxxp instead of http)

                        (WARNING: DO NOT VISIT THAT WEB SITE! IT WILL INFECT YOUR COMPUTER!)

                        But I have no reason to assume that it does not corrupt any other kind of file.
                        It might! So the scan must be for *all* files.

                        As for exe, we do know that Win32/Virut does not attempt to insert
                        the iframe html text string in such files, so NoteTab won't find the string
                        in them, even though it will look. I believe the virus always looks for
                        {/body} and inserts the iframe element before that.

                        This is one case where it's quite ok to have NoteTab spend several hours
                        scrutinizing every single file on your computer. The price of missing just
                        one instance of the viral string is too high. (Ie, reinfection, with subsequent
                        destruction of all exe files in all partitions of your computer, requiring
                        re-formatting your hard disk and re-installing the operating system and
                        all software, settings, and data.)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
                          <buralex@...> wrote:

                          > "Robbie Hatley" <lonewolf@...> said on Oct 28, 2007 21:22 -0400
                          > (in part):
                          > > I see "Search Disk" has a sub-tab called "Replace in Files". I should
                          > > be able
                          > > to set "File Mask" to "\\*.*" (all files in all directories on all
                          > > drives), set
                          > > "Find What" to the viral string, and leave "Replace With" blank.
                          > > MUCH easier than the way I was doing it.
                          > Hmmm .... I have 1,027,000 files on my C:\ harddrive.
                          > Please post back with how long it takes Notetab to do a search-replace
                          > on ALL files in ALL folders with ALL extensions :-)

                          Several hours. I didn't do it all in one session, so I can't give the precise time.
                          That was for my C, D, E, F drives. (Those 4 partitions are on my 3 internal
                          physical hard disks.)

                          I see now, to my horror, that my two backup partitions (on an external
                          300GB maxtor firewire hard disk) are also heavily infected with Win32/Virut.
                          Sigh. This virus is SO damn invasive! :-( It took AVG an hour to disinfect
                          the drives (by moving most of the exe files to the vault; it couldn't repair
                          them). But AVG doesn't check for inserted iframes in asp, aspx, php, htm,
                          and html files; so I have to use NoteTab to search and erase the iframes.
                          Several more hours, I imagine. Sigh. At least I can multitask while it's
                          doing it. And sleep. By the time I wake up, hopefully it'll be finished.

                          --
                          Cheers,
                          Robbie Hatley
                          lonewolf aatt well dott com
                          www dott well dott com slant user slant lonewolf slant
                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                            Hi
                            If this was my machine I would get it clean as best I could and ghost the
                            hard drives and keep a copy in case you get something again.
                            THANKYOU DAVE M