Re: Patches to upgrade NoteTab v4.0x to v4.5

  • Richard Bergman
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
      Op 10:44 03-09-1998 -0600, Elaine Normandy wrote:
      >I copied my NoteTab 4.011 (obtained and registered via Ideaware) to the
      >notetab direction, after deleting the beta files. I then copied the
      >ntp45iw1.exe to that directory and ran it. I got a message that said
      >
      >"The patch is not applicable to it or you denied to do so. Please use the
      >"browse button" to choose the target software and then press the "Apply"
      >button.
      >
      >I did this with the notetab.exe and got the following error messages
      >
      >Error, cannot create new file, but patch software won't work without it.
      >Error, patch is not applicable to current directory.

      I got the same problem. The only difference with the situation above is, that
      I tried it with the original NoteTab Pro 4.011/iw (obtained and registered
      via
      Ideaware). Thus I didn't used any beta.

      Kind Regards,
      Richard Bergman

    • John Kidwell
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
        Here's what I've been able to figure out about the patch problem.

        I have both PRO and SUPER in the same directory. The PRO patch worked
        fine, the SUPER failed. This seems to be because certain auxiliary
        files are naturally missing (file_id.diz, license.txt). Since both
        were installed into the same directory, the PRO overwrote the SUPER.

        The bottom line seems to be that the patch program needs to update the
        files it *does* find instead of failing because a non-essential
        file is missing.

        Or, alternatively, there needs to be "executable only" patches
        provided as well.

        Without this all, I can do is reinstall the original kits, patches etc.
        over the top of my existing V4.011/IW files and I'd really rather not
        do this.

      • Norma
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
          I have SuperNotetab 4.0 and nothing I have done has upgraded that version. I
          tried patching it with and without the Ideaware DLL installed. Nothing
          helps. No matter if run the patch from a different directory as my
          registered version of SuperNotetab or the same directory, it won't get
          updated.

          I'm getting the following message:
          Checking if the patch file can be applied.
          Checking patchinfo for file "NoteTab.exe": (no matching source)
          Error cannot create new file, but patched software won't work without
          it.
          Error patch is not applicable to "current directory"

          I don't have any more ideas, can somebody help me.

          Norma

        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
            Hi Elaine and the rest of you,

            >I copied my NoteTab 4.011 (obtained and registered via Ideaware) to the
            >notetab direction, after deleting the beta files. I then copied the
            >ntp45iw1.exe to that directory and ran it. I got a message that said
            >
            >"The patch is not applicable to it or you denied to do so. Please use the
            >"browse button" to choose the target software and then press the "Apply"
            >button.

            Seems like I have to read through the documentation again. I didn't realize
            it would be this sensitive. What I am seeing here is that if the files in
            the directory don't exactly match those in the patch file (or if they have
            been modified), then the process fails.

            Sorry about all this mess. I'm sure it's my fault and I'll do all I can to
            fix this...

            Best regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
            Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
            and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

          • Baba Baba Baba Booey
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 3, 1998
              On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 13:56:26 -0500, Lawrence R. Thomas babbled about
              Re: Patches to upgrade NoteTab v4.0x to v4.5 proclaiming:

              >I have tried all three NTP patches in the original directory, in the new
              >directory, with the IDEAMKT.CFG and the Ideawr32.dll in the NoteTab folder
              >and with them in Win95 (IDEAMKT.CFG) and Win95\System (Ideawr32.dll)
              >respectively. I get the same error messages as Elaine and Kay.
              >
              >I have version 4.011/iw and have applied ntp45iw0.exe, ntp45iw1.exe, and
              >ntp45uc1.exe all with the same resulting messages.

              It's indeed a bitch. I deleted my copy of Super NoteTab in favour of
              the beta version. Actually that's a lie. I let it overwrite my copy.
              Bad mistake of course. Where do I get it again? Didn't know. Luckily I
              had 4.01 on an unlabelled floppy disk (two disks actually). But does
              the patch work on it? NOOOOOOO! Fortunately I had a copy of 4.0 as
              well (the install program) and the patch worked on that one.

              Sean & Mona: a great tradition since 1996
              Running on Internet Explorer 5.0
              Churches should stay out of politics or be taxed!

            • Kay Hayen
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 1998
                Hi,

                Eric informed me about problems he had with using the BinPatch and
                we hopefully resolved them.

                1. One thing that needs to be clear is that patch files need matching
                source files. You cannot apply them to any version, but just those
                that Eric created them for.

                2. There are ways in BinPatch to be not so picky about unimportant
                files and Eric did not initially use them. Newer patch files should
                not require anything but a matching version of the NoteTab.exe or
                whatever it is.

                Anyway. Even then, reinstalling your NoteTab and then applying the
                patch file will work for now. At a later time there will surely be
                patch files to be more tolerant about your changes to .clb files
                which is of course a must.

                I'd like to take the blame of this. Not so much with not having the
                software to allow doing perfect patch files, but with not having all
                caveats documented. Unfortunately Eric ran into a few. It should be
                beta tested... ;-)

                Greetings, Kay Hayen author of BinPatch (http://kayhayen.com)

              • Kay Hayen
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 4, 1998
                  Hi again,

                  > Sorry about all this mess. I'm sure it's my fault and I'll do all I can to
                  > fix this...

                  As written elsewhere. I'll accept the blame. It is documented, but who
                  reads documentations completely? ;-) I'll pronounce such important things
                  more clearly.

                  Greetings, Kay