Re: Lock Headings

  • Website Managers
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:

      > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration in the
      future to
      > add something to NoteTab Pro) that "locks" the headings section?
      >
      > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section when
      > right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like 100 headings that
      > were manually sorted for documentation and then find that they are now
      > all sorted...it's really frustrating to take the time to put all of
      them
      > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's because I'm
      > trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
      >
      > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature for erratic
      > clickers like myself would be a great feature if there's a way to do it
      > that I haven't seen yet.
      >

      > Thanks for any comments,
      >
      > Brian

      While I see no "un-sort" function, I too have a long list of headings
      and use the Sort feature. When I right-click and deselect the Sort, I
      can then manually drag and drop the headings anywhere I want to.

      Although it could be a daunting task for some with 100+ headings, your
      fast fingers will get it done quickly.

      Jim
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
        Hi Brian, Just in case you didn't realize, you can simply right-click
        the outline's document tab and click reload to get back to the most
        recently saved version. So, no need to restore the outline from a
        backup just because you sorted the headings by accident. (Not much
        help if you've made numerous other unsaved edits - though you could at
        that point save to another name, reopen the original name, and
        copy/paste those edits if needed).

        Another thought is to enable showing of headers in the editor, and to
        make it a point not to edit headers in the list panel. I agree that an
        "Are you sure?" prompt would be useful there; same thing after
        clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
          More helpful hints! Thanks everyone :)

          Sheri wrote:

          > Hi Brian, Just in case you didn't realize, you can simply right-click
          > the outline's document tab and click reload to get back to the most
          > recently saved version. So, no need to restore the outline from a
          > backup just because you sorted the headings by accident. (Not much
          > help if you've made numerous other unsaved edits - though you could at
          > that point save to another name, reopen the original name, and
          > copy/paste those edits if needed).
          >
          > Another thought is to enable showing of headers in the editor, and to
          > make it a point not to edit headers in the list panel. I agree that an
          > "Are you sure?" prompt would be useful there; same thing after
          > clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
            Brian Binder wrote:
            > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration
            > in the future to add something to NoteTab Pro) that
            > "locks" the headings section?
            >
            > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section
            > when right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like
            > 100 headings that were manually sorted for documentation
            > and then find that they are now all sorted...it's really
            > frustrating to take the time to put all of them
            > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's
            > because I'm trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
            >
            > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature
            > for erratic clickers like myself would be a great feature if
            > there's a way to do it that I haven't seen yet.
            >
            > Thanks for any comments,
            >
            > Brian

            Brian,

            With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to recover
            from an errant mouse click.

            ºvº SL-10-126 -created- 2007.10.16 - 16.30.16

            Newspaper HeadLine...
            "New Vaccine May Contain Rabies"
            ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
              That one feature, multiple levels of undo, is worth the price. I use it
              all the time!
              Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
              repetitive control + z strokes?

              > With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to recover
              > from an errant mouse click.
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                > With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to
                > recover from an errant mouse click.

                Often useful, but unfortunately not available in connection with the
                subject (after sorting headers).

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                  > That one feature, multiple levels of undo, is worth the price. I use it
                  > all the time!
                  > Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                  > repetitive control + z strokes?

                  Don,

                  Something like this?

                  H="Multi-Level Undo"
                  ^!KeyBoardDelay 1
                  ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+Z

                  ºvº SL-10-127 -created- 2007.10.16 - 18.19.44

                  Newspaper HeadLine...
                  "Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni"
                  ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                    Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                    >Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                    >repetitive control + z strokes?

                    Just keep holding the keys down.

                    Lotta
                  • buralex@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                      "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> said on Oct 16, 2007 14:37 -0400
                      (in part):
                      > same thing after
                      > clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.
                      +1

                      I don't use outlines much if at all, but I've been bitten by [Sort] in
                      Clips (and even worse by [Find+Replace] in Clips)
                      I'd really like an [Are you sure?] in either of these cases.

                      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 17, 2007
                        buralex@... wrote:

                        > I don't use outlines much if at all, but I've been bitten by [Sort] in
                        > Clips (and even worse by [Find+Replace] in Clips)
                        > I'd really like an [Are you sure?] in either of these cases.
                        >
                        > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                        Oh boy, search and replace, all in clips ... and it blows out a whole
                        library. I have one such library that I am rebuilding slowly but
                        surely. I agree, you might really want a safeguard against operator
                        error on these. However, I think undo WILL recover in the clip
                        situation if you realize.