Re: [NTB] Re: Lock Headings

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
      To be honest I'm all about the backups. I too have ATI and use
      Mozybackup every day to keep all my stuff backed up in the most complete
      fashion.

      I didn't mention anything about restoring from an image or Mozy servers
      simply because ... I didn't realize restoring just the ini file would
      restore the old formatting. And, most people that I meet never make it
      a common practice to back their stuff up.

      I just think that irregardless, I see myself doing it in the future, and
      I would love to see a piece of code inserted to lock the headings
      instead of forcing me to restore from a backup. (Something just to lock
      the "sort" field and not to lock the headings altogether.)

      Especially if I found that the backup I had contained a ill-formatted
      file that I simply didn't notice. Hey...it could happen ;)

      Thanks for the response!

      tuttle.grey wrote:

      > I recommend making frequent backups of your .ini file, clipbooks,
      > favourites, etc. But then, I recommend that people make frequent
      > backups of all important data on their computers.
      >
      > That way if you did something catastrophic, as in your unintentional
      > reordering of headings, you could exit from NoteTab and restore the
      > relevant file from your last backup.
      >
      > I've used a lot of backup tools over the years, and currently I am
      > completely sold on Acronis True Image. With it I can backup files and
      > directories and, even better, I can take a disk image of my entire
      > system. So if the worst happened, such as total disk failure, I could
      > just restore my latest image to a new hard drive and be back in
      > business within minutes.
    • Website Managers
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:

        > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration in the
        future to
        > add something to NoteTab Pro) that "locks" the headings section?
        >
        > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section when
        > right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like 100 headings that
        > were manually sorted for documentation and then find that they are now
        > all sorted...it's really frustrating to take the time to put all of
        them
        > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's because I'm
        > trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
        >
        > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature for erratic
        > clickers like myself would be a great feature if there's a way to do it
        > that I haven't seen yet.
        >

        > Thanks for any comments,
        >
        > Brian

        While I see no "un-sort" function, I too have a long list of headings
        and use the Sort feature. When I right-click and deselect the Sort, I
        can then manually drag and drop the headings anywhere I want to.

        Although it could be a daunting task for some with 100+ headings, your
        fast fingers will get it done quickly.

        Jim
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
          Hi Brian, Just in case you didn't realize, you can simply right-click
          the outline's document tab and click reload to get back to the most
          recently saved version. So, no need to restore the outline from a
          backup just because you sorted the headings by accident. (Not much
          help if you've made numerous other unsaved edits - though you could at
          that point save to another name, reopen the original name, and
          copy/paste those edits if needed).

          Another thought is to enable showing of headers in the editor, and to
          make it a point not to edit headers in the list panel. I agree that an
          "Are you sure?" prompt would be useful there; same thing after
          clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
            More helpful hints! Thanks everyone :)

            Sheri wrote:

            > Hi Brian, Just in case you didn't realize, you can simply right-click
            > the outline's document tab and click reload to get back to the most
            > recently saved version. So, no need to restore the outline from a
            > backup just because you sorted the headings by accident. (Not much
            > help if you've made numerous other unsaved edits - though you could at
            > that point save to another name, reopen the original name, and
            > copy/paste those edits if needed).
            >
            > Another thought is to enable showing of headers in the editor, and to
            > make it a point not to edit headers in the list panel. I agree that an
            > "Are you sure?" prompt would be useful there; same thing after
            > clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
              Brian Binder wrote:
              > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration
              > in the future to add something to NoteTab Pro) that
              > "locks" the headings section?
              >
              > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section
              > when right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like
              > 100 headings that were manually sorted for documentation
              > and then find that they are now all sorted...it's really
              > frustrating to take the time to put all of them
              > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's
              > because I'm trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
              >
              > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature
              > for erratic clickers like myself would be a great feature if
              > there's a way to do it that I haven't seen yet.
              >
              > Thanks for any comments,
              >
              > Brian

              Brian,

              With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to recover
              from an errant mouse click.

              ºvº SL-10-126 -created- 2007.10.16 - 16.30.16

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              "New Vaccine May Contain Rabies"
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                That one feature, multiple levels of undo, is worth the price. I use it
                all the time!
                Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                repetitive control + z strokes?

                > With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to recover
                > from an errant mouse click.
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                  > With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to
                  > recover from an errant mouse click.

                  Often useful, but unfortunately not available in connection with the
                  subject (after sorting headers).

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                    Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                    > That one feature, multiple levels of undo, is worth the price. I use it
                    > all the time!
                    > Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                    > repetitive control + z strokes?

                    Don,

                    Something like this?

                    H="Multi-Level Undo"
                    ^!KeyBoardDelay 1
                    ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+Z

                    ºvº SL-10-127 -created- 2007.10.16 - 18.19.44

                    Newspaper HeadLine...
                    "Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni"
                    ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                      >Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                      >repetitive control + z strokes?

                      Just keep holding the keys down.

                      Lotta
                    • buralex@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                        "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> said on Oct 16, 2007 14:37 -0400
                        (in part):
                        > same thing after
                        > clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.
                        +1

                        I don't use outlines much if at all, but I've been bitten by [Sort] in
                        Clips (and even worse by [Find+Replace] in Clips)
                        I'd really like an [Are you sure?] in either of these cases.

                        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 17, 2007
                          buralex@... wrote:

                          > I don't use outlines much if at all, but I've been bitten by [Sort] in
                          > Clips (and even worse by [Find+Replace] in Clips)
                          > I'd really like an [Are you sure?] in either of these cases.
                          >
                          > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                          Oh boy, search and replace, all in clips ... and it blows out a whole
                          library. I have one such library that I am rebuilding slowly but
                          surely. I agree, you might really want a safeguard against operator
                          error on these. However, I think undo WILL recover in the clip
                          situation if you realize.