Notetab icon

  • Matt Clark
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 13, 2007
      I've reinstalled Notetab Lite and designated it to be my default notepad. How do I make the colorful Notetab icon the default icon in various directories?

      Thanks.

      Matt Clark

    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 13, 2007
        "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> said on Oct 13, 2007 18:23 -0400 (in
        part):
        > I've reinstalled Notetab Lite and designated it to be my default
        > notepad. How do I make the colorful Notetab icon the default icon in
        > various directories?
        Matt - the icon shown is that associated with an extension ( .TXT,
        .HTML, .HTM etc.) not with the directory the file happens to be in. If
        you've replaced msNotepad with Notetab Light (as I think you are saying
        above) then when you double-click (or single-click depending on your
        Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-"Click item as follows" setting) then it
        already opens in Notetab Light.

        Is that correct?

        My system was showing the "default text icon" too. By stumbling around
        with various registry tweaking programs I happen to have on my system I
        was able to force it to use the Notetab icon (on WinXP SP2).

        Question: are you comfortable editing the Registry? If not you're
        probably advised not to attempt this ...
        AFAICT the registry change that has to be made is:

        * change key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\DefaultIcon
        o (default) data to be: "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light
        5\NoteTab.exe,0"
        + navigate to where you have Notetab Light installed and
        verify above is correct path or use whatever it is on
        your system.
        o its probably "%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-152" currently

        There is a free program: WAssociate:
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~wstudios/Associate/index.html that will help you
        do this - its still possible to screw up the registry but its somewhat
        easier :-)

        If you look at the page above they have a screen shot that shows exactly
        the entry/value you must change:

        * txtfile - DefaultIcon (their example currently shows
        C:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe)
        o the ",0" I showed above after NoteTab.exe is optional -
        different numbers can be used to select various icons
        Notetab has buried within it.
        o Using ",1" instead of ",0" selects a page icon (curled
        upper right corner, with smaller Swiss icon in the middle)

        If you decide to attempt this -- good luck :-)
        Anyone else on the list who can simplify the above, please do so !!!

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Matt Clark
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
          Thanks Alex.

          My default notepad is now Notetab Lite for all txt files. However, it used to be that the Notetab icon almost automatically replaced the notepad one. Frankly, it isn't worth going into the registry to try to retrieve the colorful icon, though.

          Thanks again.

          Matt

          > I've reinstalled Notetab Lite and designated it to be my default
          > notepad. How do I make the colorful Notetab icon the default icon in
          > various directories?
          Matt - the icon shown is that associated with an extension ( .TXT,
          .HTML, .HTM etc.) not with the directory the file happens to be in. If
          you've replaced msNotepad with Notetab Light (as I think you are saying
          above) then when you double-click (or single-click depending on your
          Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-"Click item as follows" setting) then it
          already opens in Notetab Light.

          Is that correct?

          My system was showing the "default text icon" too. By stumbling around
          with various registry tweaking programs I happen to have on my system I
          was able to force it to use the Notetab icon (on WinXP SP2).

          Question: are you comfortable editing the Registry? If not you're
          probably advised not to attempt this ...
          AFAICT the registry change that has to be made is:

          * change key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\DefaultIcon
          o (default) data to be: "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light
          5\NoteTab.exe,0"
          + navigate to where you have Notetab Light installed and
          verify above is correct path or use whatever it is on
          your system.
          o its probably "%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-152" currently

          There is a free program: WAssociate:
          http://www.xs4all.nl/~wstudios/Associate/index.html that will help you
          do this - its still possible to screw up the registry but its somewhat
          easier :-)

          If you look at the page above they have a screen shot that shows exactly
          the entry/value you must change:

          * txtfile - DefaultIcon (their example currently shows
          C:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe)
          o the ",0" I showed above after NoteTab.exe is optional -
          different numbers can be used to select various icons
          Notetab has buried within it.
          o Using ",1" instead of ",0" selects a page icon (curled
          upper right corner, with smaller Swiss icon in the middle)

          If you decide to attempt this -- good luck :-)
          Anyone else on the list who can simplify the above, please do so !!!

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

        • Stan Blazejewski
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 15, 2007
            There's no 'need' to go into the registry to change the default icon for 'any'
            file association.
            Just go to the control panel, select folder options, click on the file types
            tab, scroll down to 'TXT' (or whatever you want to change), & click the change
            button. You will be presented with a list of 'recommended programs' and 'other
            programs' as well as the option to 'browse'. Odds are that notetab will be in
            the recommended lot, if so just double click on it & it's all done. Otherwise
            browse to where notetab is & select it.

            stanblaz@...
            www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
          • bigbro
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 15, 2007
              I don't know much about Notepad, but for my needs I use it a lot, but
              when it comes to icons, I have made my own and have changed quite a
              number of them to something more attractive and useful to me.

              I know what I'm about to suggest was probably already tried and I'm
              not sure how it works in other systems, other than my own, but often
              when right clicking an application's icon and choosing "Properties"
              there is a selection in the Properties box to change an icon. It's
              basically a back door to Stan's suggestion.

              I use a free version of Notetab and it contains a section in
              "Options" to change the icon associated with text files. First, in my
              version I have had to add the txt association in "Options
              | Associations" (or from the toolbar "View | Options", if you
              haven't added the handy "Options" button to your customized toolbar),
              by typing - txt - in the type-in-box and clicking "Add". I then
              chose the "View" tab and found a section named "Application Icon",
              where I could click a "Change Icon" button to select from a few icons there.

              Ferrell
              ----------------------------------

              On Monday 10/15/2007 04:17 AM, Stan Blazejewski wrote:

              There's no 'need' to go into the registry to change the default icon for 'any'
              file association.
              Just go to the control panel, ...snip...

              On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:34:42 -0400, you wrote:

              >Thanks Alex.
              >
              >My default notepad is now Notetab Lite for all txt files. ...snip...
              >
              >Thanks again.
              >
              >Matt

              on Oct 13, 2007 18:23 -0400 (in
              > part):
              > > I've reinstalled Notetab Lite and designated it to be my default
              > > notepad. How do I make the colorful Notetab icon the default icon in
              > > various directories?
              >...snip...
              >
              > My system was showing the "default text icon" too. By stumbling around
              > with various registry tweaking programs I happen to have on my system I
              > was able to force it to use the Notetab icon (on WinXP SP2).
              >
              > Question: are you comfortable editing the Registry? ...snip..
              >

              >...snip...
              >
              > There is a free program: WAssociate:
              >...snip...
              >
              > If you look at the page above they have a screen shot that shows exactly
              > the entry/value you must change:

              ...snip...

              > If you decide to attempt this -- good luck
              > Anyone else on the list who can simplify the above, please do so !!!
              >
              > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
            • bigbro
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 15, 2007
                I don't know much about Notepad, but for my needs I use it a lot, but
                when it comes to icons, I have made my own and have changed quite a
                number of them to something more attractive and useful to me.

                I know what I'm about to suggest was probably already tried and I'm
                not sure how it works in other systems, other than my own, but often
                when right clicking an application's icon and choosing "Properties"
                there is a selection in the Properties box to change an icon. It's
                basically a back door to Stan's suggestion.

                I use a free version of Notetab and it contains a section in
                "Options" to change the icon associated with text files. First, in my
                version I have had to add the txt association in "Options
                | Associations" (or from the toolbar "View | Options", if you
                haven't added the handy "Options" button to your customized toolbar),
                by typing - txt - in the type-in-box and clicking "Add". I then
                chose the "View" tab and found a section named "Application Icon",
                where I could click a "Change Icon" button to select from a few icons there.

                Ferrell
                ----------------------------------

                On Monday 10/15/2007 04:17 AM, Stan Blazejewski wrote:

                There's no 'need' to go into the registry to change the default icon for 'any'
                file association.
                Just go to the control panel, ...snip...

                On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:34:42 -0400, you wrote:

                >Thanks Alex.
                >
                >My default notepad is now Notetab Lite for all txt files. ...snip...
                >
                >Thanks again.
                >
                >Matt

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration in the future to
                  add something to NoteTab Pro) that "locks" the headings section?

                  I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section when
                  right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like 100 headings that
                  were manually sorted for documentation and then find that they are now
                  all sorted...it's really frustrating to take the time to put all of them
                  back in the order you had them in. And most times it's because I'm
                  trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...

                  It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature for erratic
                  clickers like myself would be a great feature if there's a way to do it
                  that I haven't seen yet.

                  Thanks for any comments,

                  Brian
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                    Brian Binder wrote:
                    > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration in the future to
                    > add something to NoteTab Pro) that "locks" the headings section?
                    >
                    > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section when
                    > right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like 100 headings that
                    > were manually sorted for documentation and then find that they are now
                    > all sorted...it's really frustrating to take the time to put all of them
                    > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's because I'm
                    > trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
                    >
                    > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature for erratic
                    > clickers like myself would be a great feature if there's a way to do it
                    > that I haven't seen yet.

                    Others may understand you Brian, I am clueless. Is this in outlines
                    that you are sorting the headings? I have never seen such a feature,
                    but I hardly use outlines either. I use it more for coding and for data
                    manipulation myself.

                    Don
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                      Brian Binder wrote:
                      >Is there an add-on...

                      Alas, no.

                      >(or would there be a consideration in the future to
                      >add something to NoteTab Pro) that "locks" the headings section?

                      +1

                      Lotta
                    • tuttle.grey
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                        I recommend making frequent backups of your .ini file, clipbooks,
                        favourites, etc. But then, I recommend that people make frequent
                        backups of all important data on their computers.

                        That way if you did something catastrophic, as in your unintentional
                        reordering of headings, you could exit from NoteTab and restore the
                        relevant file from your last backup.

                        I've used a lot of backup tools over the years, and currently I am
                        completely sold on Acronis True Image. With it I can backup files and
                        directories and, even better, I can take a disk image of my entire
                        system. So if the worst happened, such as total disk failure, I could
                        just restore my latest image to a new hard drive and be back in
                        business within minutes.
                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                          Right - make a new outline file and then start adding random headings to
                          the file.

                          Then look where the "sort" and "edit" functions are when you
                          right-click...right next to each other. I sometimes hit the sort by
                          accident. Darn my fast-clicking hand!

                          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                          > Others may understand you Brian, I am clueless. Is this in outlines
                          > that you are sorting the headings? I have never seen such a feature,
                          > but I hardly use outlines either. I use it more for coding and for data
                          > manipulation myself.
                          >
                          > Don
                        • Brian Binder
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                            To be honest I'm all about the backups. I too have ATI and use
                            Mozybackup every day to keep all my stuff backed up in the most complete
                            fashion.

                            I didn't mention anything about restoring from an image or Mozy servers
                            simply because ... I didn't realize restoring just the ini file would
                            restore the old formatting. And, most people that I meet never make it
                            a common practice to back their stuff up.

                            I just think that irregardless, I see myself doing it in the future, and
                            I would love to see a piece of code inserted to lock the headings
                            instead of forcing me to restore from a backup. (Something just to lock
                            the "sort" field and not to lock the headings altogether.)

                            Especially if I found that the backup I had contained a ill-formatted
                            file that I simply didn't notice. Hey...it could happen ;)

                            Thanks for the response!

                            tuttle.grey wrote:

                            > I recommend making frequent backups of your .ini file, clipbooks,
                            > favourites, etc. But then, I recommend that people make frequent
                            > backups of all important data on their computers.
                            >
                            > That way if you did something catastrophic, as in your unintentional
                            > reordering of headings, you could exit from NoteTab and restore the
                            > relevant file from your last backup.
                            >
                            > I've used a lot of backup tools over the years, and currently I am
                            > completely sold on Acronis True Image. With it I can backup files and
                            > directories and, even better, I can take a disk image of my entire
                            > system. So if the worst happened, such as total disk failure, I could
                            > just restore my latest image to a new hard drive and be back in
                            > business within minutes.
                          • Website Managers
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:

                              > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration in the
                              future to
                              > add something to NoteTab Pro) that "locks" the headings section?
                              >
                              > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section when
                              > right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like 100 headings that
                              > were manually sorted for documentation and then find that they are now
                              > all sorted...it's really frustrating to take the time to put all of
                              them
                              > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's because I'm
                              > trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
                              >
                              > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature for erratic
                              > clickers like myself would be a great feature if there's a way to do it
                              > that I haven't seen yet.
                              >

                              > Thanks for any comments,
                              >
                              > Brian

                              While I see no "un-sort" function, I too have a long list of headings
                              and use the Sort feature. When I right-click and deselect the Sort, I
                              can then manually drag and drop the headings anywhere I want to.

                              Although it could be a daunting task for some with 100+ headings, your
                              fast fingers will get it done quickly.

                              Jim
                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                Hi Brian, Just in case you didn't realize, you can simply right-click
                                the outline's document tab and click reload to get back to the most
                                recently saved version. So, no need to restore the outline from a
                                backup just because you sorted the headings by accident. (Not much
                                help if you've made numerous other unsaved edits - though you could at
                                that point save to another name, reopen the original name, and
                                copy/paste those edits if needed).

                                Another thought is to enable showing of headers in the editor, and to
                                make it a point not to edit headers in the list panel. I agree that an
                                "Are you sure?" prompt would be useful there; same thing after
                                clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.

                                Regards,
                                Sheri
                              • Brian Binder
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                  More helpful hints! Thanks everyone :)

                                  Sheri wrote:

                                  > Hi Brian, Just in case you didn't realize, you can simply right-click
                                  > the outline's document tab and click reload to get back to the most
                                  > recently saved version. So, no need to restore the outline from a
                                  > backup just because you sorted the headings by accident. (Not much
                                  > help if you've made numerous other unsaved edits - though you could at
                                  > that point save to another name, reopen the original name, and
                                  > copy/paste those edits if needed).
                                  >
                                  > Another thought is to enable showing of headers in the editor, and to
                                  > make it a point not to edit headers in the list panel. I agree that an
                                  > "Are you sure?" prompt would be useful there; same thing after
                                  > clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Sheri
                                • hsavage
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                    Brian Binder wrote:
                                    > Is there an add-on...(or would there be a consideration
                                    > in the future to add something to NoteTab Pro) that
                                    > "locks" the headings section?
                                    >
                                    > I ask because I have accidentally hit the "Sort" section
                                    > when right-clicking on a heading. And when you have like
                                    > 100 headings that were manually sorted for documentation
                                    > and then find that they are now all sorted...it's really
                                    > frustrating to take the time to put all of them
                                    > back in the order you had them in. And most times it's
                                    > because I'm trying to edit the heading instead of sort it...
                                    >
                                    > It's a careless mistake on my end, but a security feature
                                    > for erratic clickers like myself would be a great feature if
                                    > there's a way to do it that I haven't seen yet.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for any comments,
                                    >
                                    > Brian

                                    Brian,

                                    With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to recover
                                    from an errant mouse click.

                                    ºvº SL-10-126 -created- 2007.10.16 - 16.30.16

                                    Newspaper HeadLine...
                                    "New Vaccine May Contain Rabies"
                                    ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                      That one feature, multiple levels of undo, is worth the price. I use it
                                      all the time!
                                      Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                                      repetitive control + z strokes?

                                      > With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to recover
                                      > from an errant mouse click.
                                    • Sheri
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                                        > With NoteTab Pro the 'multi-level Undo' is a very good way to
                                        > recover from an errant mouse click.

                                        Often useful, but unfortunately not available in connection with the
                                        subject (after sorting headers).

                                        Regards,
                                        Sheri
                                      • hsavage
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                                          > That one feature, multiple levels of undo, is worth the price. I use it
                                          > all the time!
                                          > Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                                          > repetitive control + z strokes?

                                          Don,

                                          Something like this?

                                          H="Multi-Level Undo"
                                          ^!KeyBoardDelay 1
                                          ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+Z

                                          ºvº SL-10-127 -created- 2007.10.16 - 18.19.44

                                          Newspaper HeadLine...
                                          "Old School Pillars are Replaced by Alumni"
                                          ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                                        • loro
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                                            >Which brings up a good question can it be invoked via clip to avoid
                                            >repetitive control + z strokes?

                                            Just keep holding the keys down.

                                            Lotta
                                          • buralex@gmail.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 16, 2007
                                              "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> said on Oct 16, 2007 14:37 -0400
                                              (in part):
                                              > same thing after
                                              > clicking "Sorted" in the Clipbook's context menu.
                                              +1

                                              I don't use outlines much if at all, but I've been bitten by [Sort] in
                                              Clips (and even worse by [Find+Replace] in Clips)
                                              I'd really like an [Are you sure?] in either of these cases.

                                              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                                            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 17, 2007
                                                buralex@... wrote:

                                                > I don't use outlines much if at all, but I've been bitten by [Sort] in
                                                > Clips (and even worse by [Find+Replace] in Clips)
                                                > I'd really like an [Are you sure?] in either of these cases.
                                                >
                                                > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                                                Oh boy, search and replace, all in clips ... and it blows out a whole
                                                library. I have one such library that I am rebuilding slowly but
                                                surely. I agree, you might really want a safeguard against operator
                                                error on these. However, I think undo WILL recover in the clip
                                                situation if you realize.