Re: [NTB] Kinda OT... old text-file conversion

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 9, 2007
      Marcelo,

      You made me curious... Could this be of help for you?

      Inventec Character Set Conversion Utility
      This program converts files from one character set to another character set. It can be used to convert files between ASCII and EBCDIC, or between MS-DOS and Windows character sets. The current version supports 41 different character sets.
      http://www.inventec.ch/download/tools/docs/iicscvt.htm

      Hugo

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 9, 2007
        Interviewed by CNN on 9/10/2007 17:23, Hugo Paulissen told the world:
        > Marcelo,
        >
        > You made me curious... Could this be of help for you?
        >
        > Inventec Character Set Conversion Utility
        > This program converts files from one character set to another character set. It can be used to convert files between ASCII and EBCDIC, or between MS-DOS and Windows character sets. The current version supports 41 different character sets.
        > http://www.inventec.ch/download/tools/docs/iicscvt.htm

        Seems very nice. It's *almost* what I was looking for -- freeware,
        command-line, simple to use. It's only fault is that it apparently
        doesn't support UNICODE. Unfortunately, for what I'm trying to do
        Unicode is essential.

        After I sent that message I kept searching, and eventually found a
        program called TextPipe ( http://www.datamystic.com ) that does what I
        wanted -- kinda. It's a Windows application, instead of command-line,
        and has a hundred more options than I needed, in a somewhat confusing
        interface... and it's not free (it actually costs US$ 395,00!!). Like
        using a nuclear missile to kill a fly. But the 30-day demo version is
        fully functional, and so I managed to do the conversion with it. I hope
        I didn't forget a file, though...

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Want a stupid answer? Ask me anything!
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.4
      • janderri
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 10, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

          > janderri wrote:
          > > Hi, The helpfile didn't help me in my quest to auto-run a clip from
          > the command-line...
          > >
          > > I have this clip called "tester" in the library "Toppy's library" but
          > I can't seem to auto run it from command-line.
          > >
          > > This is the command-line I have :
          > >
          > > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's
          > Library:RunClip tester"
          > >
          > > if I make the command-line like this :
          > >
          > > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's
          > Library:RunClip"
          > >
          > > the "Toppy's Library" opens, but no clip is run....
          > > How can I make the "Tester" clip in "Toppy's Library" auto-run please ?
          > >
          > > Thanks a lot in advance !
          >
          > janderri,
          >
          > Omit the word Runclip as in line below, command should work flawlessly.
          >
          > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's Library:Tester"

          Doesn't work.

          > Also, you can avoid using /NS if you like. Set NoteTab to hide the
          > splash screen by default.
          >
          > Go to;
          >
          > View > Options > View, check or uncheck 'Show Splash Screen'
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 10, 2007
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@> wrote:
            > >
            > > janderri wrote:
            > > > Hi, The helpfile didn't help me in my quest to auto-run a clip
            > > > from the command-line... I have this clip called "tester" in the
            > > > library "Toppy's library" but I can't seem to auto run it from
            > > > command-line. This is the command-line I have : "C:\Program
            > > > Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's Library:RunClip
            > > > tester" if I make the command-line like this : "C:\Program
            > > > Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's Library:RunClip"
            > > > the "Toppy's Library" opens, but no clip is run.... How can I
            > > > make the "Tester" clip in "Toppy's Library" auto-run please ?
            > > > Thanks a lot in advance ! janderri, Omit the word Runclip as in
            > > > line below, command should work flawlessly. "C:\Program
            > > > Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's Library:Tester"

            > Doesn't work.

            You may need to add the name of an existing document to open, because
            if notetab opens on [Clips], the clip won't run. Might not run in
            other circumstances either, e.g., protected unicode document, etc.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 10, 2007
              janderri wrote:
              > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
              >> janderri wrote:
              >>> Hi, The helpfile didn't help me in my quest to auto-run a
              >> clip from the command-line...
              >>>
              >>> This is the command-line I have :
              >>>
              >>> "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's
              >> Library:RunClip tester"
              >>>
              >>> if I make the command-line like this :
              >>>
              >>> "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's
              >> Library:RunClip"
              >>>
              >>> the "Toppy's Library" opens, but no clip is run....
              >>
              >> janderri,
              >
              > Doesn't work.

              janderri,

              Sorry I haven't answered sooner. Below is your command line that should
              work assuming the path and library/clip names are correct.

              Following that is a command line from my shortcut that is used upon each
              initial restarting of NoteTab.

              Don't forget this is only valid on an initial startup of NoteTab or
              using the modified shortcut each time to open NoteTab even when residing
              in the taskbar.

              I've used my shortcut without fail for several months now. The 2 main
              differences are your path is quoted because of the spaces and your
              library uses an apostrophe.in its name. I don't think either will make
              a difference.

              "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's Library:Tester"

              C:\Fookes\Ntp\NotePro.exe /NS /L="+ecr:HIDE my LIBRARIES"

              ºvº SL-10-79 -created- 2007.10.10 - 18.23.53

              New Beer WARNING Label:
              "The consumption of alcohol
              Is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead."
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • janderri
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 12, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                > janderri wrote:
                > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage hsavage@ wrote:
                > >> clip from the command-line...

                > >> Library:RunClip tester"

                > >> Library:RunClip"

                > >> janderri,
                > >
                > > Doesn't work.
                >
                > janderri,
                >
                > Sorry I haven't answered sooner. Below is your command line that
                should
                > work assuming the path and library/clip names are correct.
                >
                > Following that is a command line from my shortcut that is used upon
                each
                > initial restarting of NoteTab.
                >
                > Don't forget this is only valid on an initial startup of NoteTab or
                > using the modified shortcut each time to open NoteTab even when
                residing
                > in the taskbar.
                >
                > I've used my shortcut without fail for several months now. The 2 main
                > differences are your path is quoted because of the spaces and your
                > library uses an apostrophe.in its name. I don't think either will
                make
                > a difference.
                >

                > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's
                Library:Tester"

                > C:\Fookes\Ntp\NotePro.exe /NS /L="+ecr:HIDE my LIBRARIES"
                >
                > ·············································
                > ºvº SL-10-79 -created- 2007.10.10 - 18.23.53
                >
                > New Beer WARNING Label:
                > "The consumption of alcohol
                > Is the leading cause of inexplicable rug burns on the forehead."
                > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                >

                > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /NS /L="Toppy's
                Library:Tester"

                Well, thanks everyone for all the help, but it just won't work. All it
                does is make a default Windows sound, it switches to the clip as you see
                in the screenshot below, and just does nothing...

                http://i23.tinypic.com/5layk9.jpg <http://i23.tinypic.com/5layk9.jpg>

              • lm_hamilton
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 12, 2007
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

                  > Well, thanks everyone for all the help, but it just won't work. All it
                  > does is make a default Windows sound, it switches to the clip as you
                  > see in the screenshot below, and just does nothing...
                  >
                  > http://i23.tinypic.com/5layk9.jpg

                  This screen shot shows that the Clip Editor is open. Try closing the
                  Clip Editor before you close NoteTab.

                  I suggest that you try it with a known quantity, such as using one of
                  the default libraries.

                  For example, use the path to NoteTab exe and run the Addresses clip in
                  the Samples Library. Using my path to NoteTab as an example, the
                  following works for me.:

                  "C:\NoteTab\NotePro.exe" /L=Samples:Addresses

                  If using a known library works for you, then the problem is in your
                  clip and/or library. If the problem lies there, please post the clip
                  to the clips list and we will be glad to help you there.

                  Larry Hamilton
                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 13, 2007
                    As I said before, you need to add the name of an existing file to be
                    opened along NoteTab and your clip.

                    "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" "C:\Documents and
                    Settings\User\My Documents\runcliptxt.txt" /NS /L="Toppy'sLibrary:RunClip"

                    Alternatively change your NoteTab options so previously loaded
                    documents are not reopened on startup. This is to prevent sometimes
                    starting NoteTab with a document that places NoteTab in a state where
                    clips do not run from the clipbook (e.g., when "[Clips]" is the
                    current document). If you try doing that when NoteTab already open,
                    you get an error "Clip cannot be run while [Clip] editor is active."

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • janderri
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 14, 2007
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                      > As I said before, you need to add the name of an existing file to be
                      > opened along NoteTab and your clip.
                      >
                      > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" "C:\Documents and
                      > Settings\User\My Documents\runcliptxt.txt" /NS /L="Toppy'sLibrary:RunClip"
                      >
                      > Alternatively change your NoteTab options so previously loaded
                      > documents are not reopened on startup. This is to prevent sometimes
                      > starting NoteTab with a document that places NoteTab in a state where
                      > clips do not run from the clipbook (e.g., when "[Clips]" is the
                      > current document). If you try doing that when NoteTab already open,
                      > you get an error "Clip cannot be run while [Clip] editor is active."
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Sheri

                      Well, seems like it works now, I created a blank page, and made sure the option to automatically load previously loaded pages was checked, and now it works every time !

                      Thanks a lot for all the help everyone !

                      Edit : Oh BTW, I've only started making daily use of NoteTab, and I posted another question, I'm still too new to the whole clip programming to get it to work on my own ;-)
                    • janderri
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

                        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > As I said before, you need to add the name of an existing file to be
                        > > opened along NoteTab and your clip.
                        > >
                        > > "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" "C:\Documents and
                        > > Settings\User\My Documents\runcliptxt.txt" /NS /L="Toppy'sLibrary:RunClip"
                        > >
                        > > Alternatively change your NoteTab options so previously loaded
                        > > documents are not reopened on startup. This is to prevent sometimes
                        > > starting NoteTab with a document that places NoteTab in a state where
                        > > clips do not run from the clipbook (e.g., when "[Clips]" is the
                        > > current document). If you try doing that when NoteTab already open,
                        > > you get an error "Clip cannot be run while [Clip] editor is active."
                        > >
                        > > Regards,
                        > > Sheri
                        > >
                        > Well, seems like it works now, I created a blank page, and made sure the option to automatically load previously loaded pages was checked, and now it works every time !
                        >
                        > Thanks a lot for all the help everyone !
                        >
                        > Edit : Oh BTW, I've only started making daily use of NoteTab, and I posted another question, I'm still too new to the whole clip programming to get it to work on my own ;-)

                        I give up on this program, there are too many drawbacks and bugs and it seems development has stopped. I haven't changed any settings or anything else, and now it doesn't load the blank page at startup anymore and again does not run the clip.

                        There are better alternatives who do work as expected, thanks for the help anyway.
                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                          Why leave quietly when you make inaccurate statements on the way out, eh?

                          Good luck. You just missed the best thing since sliced bread. The
                          program is in active development (most recent release is still steaming)
                          despite your comments to the contrary. I say this only so the record is
                          clear should someone happen onto your misguided thread. It's always
                          easiest to blame operator error on something else, in this case the
                          program. While, like any program, there are somethings it won't do, it
                          is the most powerful program I have ever encountered and usually there
                          is actually a way to make it do anything. Sure there are better
                          programs for this and that, but when you want one for everything else,
                          Notetab is the bomb. Oh well, you'll never know.

                          > I give up on this program, there are too many drawbacks and bugs and it seems development has stopped. I haven't changed any settings or anything else, and now it doesn't load the blank page at startup anymore and again does not run the clip.
                          >
                          > There are better alternatives who do work as expected, thanks for the help anyway.
                        • tuttle.grey
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:
                            > I give up on this program, there are too many drawbacks and bugs
                            and it seems
                            > development has stopped. I haven't changed any settings or anything
                            else, and
                            > now it doesn't load the blank page at startup anymore and again
                            does not run the clip.

                            > There are better alternatives who do work as expected, thanks for
                            the help anyway.

                            I cannot agree with you. I am not an expert user of NoteTab as many
                            of this group's members are, but I am quite pleased with the
                            software. NoteTab Pro, which I use, has a lot of functionality, a
                            fast "stripped down" interface, and a very reasonable price.

                            The clips aspect makes NoteTab extensible and customizable. There is
                            a learning curve to writing clips, but folks in the clips discussion
                            group are knowledgeable, helpful and willing to share their time and
                            expertise.

                            I used to design user interfaces, so I would agree that NoteTab has
                            some work to do in some areas. There are functions that are somewhat
                            awkward to use, or which could be made more efficient or logical with
                            a little tweaking. But, contrary to your comment I have found the
                            developers to be interested in user comments and responsive. I made a
                            suggestion to improve a function's interface, and they implemented it
                            in the very next release. That's great service!

                            If you're not happy with NoteTab, then by all means find a tool that
                            suits you. The folks in this group, and many other happy users, can
                            attest that NoteTab is a very good tool.
                          • Sheri
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                              > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@> wrote:
                              > > I haven't changed any
                              > > settings or anything else, and now it doesn't load the blank page
                              > > at startup anymore and again does not run the clip.

                              The name of the document to use must be part of your command line. It
                              must be an existing file. That's the best way.

                              If you insist on using a blank nonexistant document, your NoteTab
                              options must not include any loading or reloading of documents. Those
                              options are on the General tab in options.

                              I use a startup clip along with a startup document on my command line
                              and it never fails. I have it so the clip closes the startup document.
                              If you wanted the clip to use a new document, you could have it close
                              the startup document and create a new document.

                              > > there are too many drawbacks and bugs

                              If you actually find a bug I'm sure the author would be very interested.

                              > > and it seems development has stopped.

                              Most recent release was this very month!

                              Sheri
                            • janderri
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                                > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@> wrote:
                                > > > I haven't changed any
                                > > > settings or anything else, and now it doesn't load the blank page
                                > > > at startup anymore and again does not run the clip.
                                >
                                > The name of the document to use must be part of your command line. It
                                > must be an existing file. That's the best way.
                                >
                                > If you insist on using a blank nonexistant document, your NoteTab
                                > options must not include any loading or reloading of documents. Those
                                > options are on the General tab in options.
                                >
                                > I use a startup clip along with a startup document on my command line
                                > and it never fails. I have it so the clip closes the startup document.
                                > If you wanted the clip to use a new document, you could have it close
                                > the startup document and create a new document.
                                >
                                > > > there are too many drawbacks and bugs
                                >
                                > If you actually find a bug I'm sure the author would be very interested.
                                >
                                > > > and it seems development has stopped.
                                >
                                > Most recent release was this very month!
                                >
                                > Sheri

                                Well too bad, if a program that is primary used for script execution isn't even properly able to understand the command-line arguments, my trust level is down to nothing.

                                From the Helpfile :
                                -------------------

                                /L=LibraryName:RunClip

                                Changes the default Clip library to the one indicated by LibraryName (without extension or path). Optionally use RunClip to specify a Clip to execute once NoteTab is open.

                                First of all they leave the user out cold and bargle something about a RunClip command (correct me if I'm wrong)
                                Then you get to the very first bug, even before NoteTab has even started : It DOESN'T run a clip ...... You need a blank document open ?!? What ? My script will open a blank document by itself, so what's the problem ?

                                Where in the helpfile does it say that running scripts is NOT possible from the command-line if there are no document open by default ?
                              • Brian Mailman
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                                  janderri wrote:

                                  > Well too bad, if a program that is primary used for script execution
                                  > isn't even properly able to understand the command-line arguments, my
                                  > trust level is down to nothing.

                                  Well, perhaps your issue in using clips is that you're not asking about
                                  them on the Clips List. (look below, and in the footer of ever message
                                  you receive)

                                  > The NoteTab Clips List:

                                  B/
                                • Sheri
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                                    janderri wrote:
                                    > Well too bad, if a program that is primary used for script
                                    > execution isn't even properly able to understand the command-line
                                    > arguments, my trust level is down to nothing.

                                    NoteTab is first and foremost a text editor. I doubt many people run
                                    clips from the command line. Clips are generally run from the open window.

                                    > From the Helpfile :
                                    > -------------------
                                    >
                                    >> /L=LibraryName:RunClip
                                    >>
                                    >> Changes the default Clip library to the one indicated by
                                    >> LibraryName (without extension or path). Optionally use RunClip
                                    >> to specify a Clip to execute once NoteTab is open.
                                    >>
                                    >> First of all they leave the user out cold and bargle something
                                    >> about a RunClip command (correct me if I'm wrong)

                                    > Then you get to the very first bug, even before NoteTab has even
                                    > started : It DOESN'T run a clip ...... You need a blank document
                                    > open ?!? What ? My script will open a blank document by itself,
                                    > so what's the problem ?

                                    The documentation for most programs could be improved. In this case
                                    (as it relates to executing a clip from the command line), iIt would
                                    be helpful to add the following to the documentation:

                                    "Command line clips are executed after NoteTab opens. They are
                                    executed from the Clipbook. The user must insure that NoteTab opens in
                                    a state that supports clip execution from the Clipbook. For example,
                                    clips do not run from the Clipbook when [Clip] is the active document."

                                    > Where in the helpfile does it say that running scripts is NOT
                                    > possible from the command-line if there are no document open by
                                    > default ?

                                    That is not the fact of the matter. NoteTab will run the command line
                                    clip provided it gets opened in a state that supports clip execution
                                    from the Clipbook. You can make sure that happens by including an
                                    existing document name on the command line.

                                    Here's another solution. Make yourself a Normal template, and specify
                                    that as your document name. Then you can get a new document and you
                                    don't have to worry about what was the last previously active document.

                                    That is, create a file named Normal.tpl. It should have this line at
                                    the top:

                                    = DocTemplate "NoName%0.3d.txt"

                                    Then use this as your command line:

                                    "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" "C:\Documents and
                                    Settings\Sheri\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates\Normal.tpl" /NS
                                    /L="Toppy'sLibrary:RunClip"

                                    Regards,
                                    Sheri
                                  • lm_hamilton
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

                                      > Well too bad, if a program that is primary used for script execution
                                      > isn't even properly able to understand the command-line arguments,
                                      > my trust level is down to nothing.
                                      <snip>
                                      > Where in the helpfile does it say that running scripts is NOT
                                      possible from the command-line if there are no document open by default ?

                                      You will notice on this list that at least four members of the beta
                                      testing group replied to your messages on this topic. All of us told
                                      you how to make it work, rather than berating you and telling you to
                                      read the manual, as happens on some lists.

                                      As Sheri pointed out, in this case, the help file is not clear.

                                      I would also mention that if you gave us more specifics we could
                                      perhaps be of more assistance.

                                      I too have experienced unclear documentation, with other programs, and
                                      spent a lot of hours figuring out things that should not be so hard.
                                      This list has eliminated your need to get sidetracked by the help file
                                      and told you how to make it work.

                                      Just because it does not work to your expectation, does not mean that
                                      it is buggy, or defective.

                                      I built a clip a few years ago to ease creating command lines for
                                      NoteTab. I do not think it works correctly with version 5 of NoteTab,
                                      but I will be glad to update it and post it on the Clips list, if you
                                      are interested.

                                      BTW, there have been at least 4 updates to NoteTab in 2007. NoteTab
                                      Light was brought to version 5, and has had at least 1 update since
                                      then. This is not a dead product, and Eric will gladly add new
                                      features that add value without adding bloat.

                                      Larry Hamilton