Re: [NTB] Regular Expression Problem

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 4, 2007
      Hi Don,

      Apologies to you and all the others who responded for not getting back
      to you sooner. Other pressures mean I've not been reading this list
      for a few days.

      Thanks so much for this...

      On 29 Sep 07 23:00 "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said:

      > ^([a-z|A-Z|0-9|.|_|\-]+?)@([a-z|A-Z|0-9|.|_|\-]+?)\.([a-z|A-Z|0-9|.|_|\-]{2,4})\t(.*?)\t(.*)
      >
      > missed just three of your examples you sent me directly and for
      > explainable reasons
      > should be 93 characters long

      Yes it certainly would have been a tall order to get it 100% right.

      Most of those who had a go for me (and thanks to all) concentrated too
      much on my attempt at a summary of the typical entry and didn't read
      all my accompanying notes, which did rather alter the problem.

      Checking back, I also realised that in one of my followups I provided
      a conflicting bit of information, so that didn't help.

      You didn't tell me what I should use as a replace string, so I used
      the original one, but that left me with a trailing $6 on the end of
      each entry, so I deleted that and tried again. Also the stuff in
      column three shifted into column two. However, that was easy to sort
      out with a regular search for a ^T and replace with ^T^T.

      After that it was just the three entries you mentioned and the handful
      of entries which by then had the (Comment) as part of the name. It
      certainly saved me a mass of time.

      Thanks again!

      Now I really must set aside some time to work out exactly how that all
      worked!

      Greg