Re: [NTB] Re: Search and Replace broken when string includes carriage return

  • Tuttle Grey
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2007
      On Thu, October 4, 2007 10:36 am, Sheri wrote:
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> I neglected to add that my default is to save files in Unix
      >> format: View | Options | Documents | selected Format Save As
      >> "UNIX". That's because I often create and edit HTML and PHP files
      >> for use on a Unix server. When I used the default setting
      >> (DOS/Windows?) we occasionally had problems with whitespace from
      >> PHP scripts, so my PHP coder advised me to select "Save As UNIX".
      >> That's now left as my default, even when creating text files for
      >> Windows use, so I hope it won't create any local issues for me.
      >

      > Hi Tuttle,
      >
      > If you use the ASCII protocol to FTP your HTML and PHP files to the
      > UNIX server, the line ending get converted to the server's format. I
      > learned that while researching for the Custom FTP clips.
      >
      > See here, for example:
      > http://webtips.dan.info/misc.html
      >
      > or here:
      > http://www.websiterepairguy.com/articles/os/crlf.html
      >
      > So theoretically you could save everything in NoteTab using the
      > "DOS/Windows" format option, and not incur any local issues. Or just
      > use "Original" format option as the default. Then when new documents
      > are saved in NoteTab they will be saved in DOS/Windows format. If you
      > ever happen to edit a UNIX document, it will get saved as a UNIX file.
      > You would rarely be editing UNIX documents because if the document
      > came from the UNIX server using FTP and the ASCII protocol, your local
      > copies would be in DOS/Windows format. And if the document were
      > created locally it would also be in DOS/Windows format.

      Hi Sheri! Thanks for the response. My head is somewhat spinning from all that, but I
      will reread it and check out those links.

      Prior to changing NoteTab's pref to save files in Unix format, we were getting some
      issues with extra whitespace or carriage returns in files that I edited. The files
      were of course FTP'd in ASCII mode, yet we still had some issues. Those files are
      used on the Unix server and are parsed by PHP and an XML module. My Unix/PHP expert
      suggested saving edited files in Unix format, and that seemed to eliminate the
      problem.

      I'm certainly open to reinvestigating this issue.