Re: [NTB] Re: macros versus script (here we go again)

  • q q
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2007
      thanks larry.
      where can i find out more about regexp?
      teach

      lm_hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage wrote:

      > teachyes10 wrote:
      > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "teachyes10" wrote:
      > >> can somebody start this code for me?
      > >> sorry. newbie.
      >
      > teach,
      >
      > If spaces and digits similar to your example start at the left
      > margin execute the following.

      This is so much faster than my old clip, that I will not post it. I
      had a clip I developed in 4.95 that did not use regexp. It took about
      15 minutes on 1000 lines.

      To make a clip work, I found that starting on the right and going left
      was easiest to preserve the position numbers. Going from the left
      required incrementing the length of the line. There were probably
      better ways to do it, but never had the time to refine it.

      I kludged together a perl script that takes a few seconds. I then
      modify the perl script into a new script for each new file I need to
      modify.

      Using the example and regexp here in NoteTab 5.41, 1,000 and 10,000
      lines are changed in a flash.

      I kept going and 100,000 lines took maybe 2 or 3 seconds.

      I then did 1 million lines and it took 19 seconds counting "one
      thousand one", etc.

      I am sure that certain regexp patterns would not be this fast, but I
      see now that I will have to give up on clipcode for some things and
      dig into regexp.

      Larry Hamilton

      Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, q q <teachyes10@...> wrote:

        > thanks larry.
        > where can i find out more about regexp?
        > teach
        >
        > lm_hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage wrote:
        There is the regexp help file included with NoteTab. I believe it
        points to some other resources.

        I am sure a quick Google search will find lots of information.

        There are several good beginner's guides online. I do not have the
        link handy to one I have used. I believe I got the link from one of
        the NoteTab lists.

        Larry Hamilton