Cannot save file

  • joelwgold
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2007
      Hi. New to NoteTab Pro. I've been working on an HTML tutorial and
      tried to save the file. When I try saving, I get this error message:

      Cannot create file "C:\Documents and Settings\Joel Golden\My
      Documents\Starbuzz\index.html". The process cannot access the file
      because it is being used by another process.

      I checked Windows Task Manager and don't even see any weird processes
      running.
      BTW, using NoteTab Pro v. 5.4, Windows XP SP2.
      Any help appreciated.

      I know I can rename it and save as another file, but this is still a
      mystery.

      Thanks.
      Joel
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2007
        "joelwgold" <joelgee@...> said on Sep 22, 2007 16:35 -0400 (in
        part):
        > Hi. New to NoteTab Pro. I've been working on an HTML tutorial and
        > tried to save the file. When I try saving, I get this error message:
        >
        > Cannot create file "C:\Documents and Settings\Joel Golden\My
        > Documents\Starbuzz\index.html". The process cannot access the file
        > because it is being used by another process.
        >
        > I checked Windows Task Manager and don't even see any weird processes
        > running.
        > BTW, using NoteTab Pro v. 5.4, Windows XP SP2.
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > I know I can rename it and save as another file, but this is still a
        > mystery.
        Hi Joel:
        Get this TaskManager replacement:
        > Process Explorer v11.02
        > "Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open?
        > Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about
        > which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.
        >
        > The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top
        > window always shows a list of the currently active processes,
        > including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information
        > displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process
        > Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that
        > the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer
        > is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the
        > process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search
        > capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular
        > handles opened or DLLs loaded.
        >
        > The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for
        > tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide
        > insight into the way Windows and applications work.
        >
        > Process Explorer works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
        > Windows XP, Server 2003, and 64-bit versions of Windows for x64 and
        > IA64 processors, and Windows Vista.
        > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreads/processexplorer.mspx
        You might also find this helpful:
        > UNLOCKER 1.8.5 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB
        > "# Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows?
        >

        > It has many other flavors:
        >
        > Cannot delete file: Access is denied
        > There has been a sharing violation.
        > The source or destination file may be in use.
        > The file is in use by another program or user.
        > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the
        > file is not currently in use.
        >

        > # Unlocker is the solution!
        >
        > 1. Simply right click the folder or file and select Unlocker"
        > http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Bruce Meyers
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2007
          Joel,

          I am not a "pro", but what have you got set as your default html manager?
          If it is IE that may be the "other process" that has control of your file.
          What did you use to open the tutorial? NoteTab or did you just click on the .html file
          and take what you got. The tutorial program might be the "other process" that
          has control.

          In IE use Tools->Internet Options->Programs to set the default html to NoteTab

          I do not know that this will solve your problem, but it can't hurt to check what is the default html opener on your computer.
          Bruce Meyers