Re: "Allow Reordering" of Tabs - setting is not persistent

  • tuttle.grey
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 19, 2007
      On Wed, September 19, 2007 5:50 pm, ebbtidalflats wrote:
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > If you insist on stacked tabs, try this in order:
      >> >
      >> > 1. UNstack the tabs,
      >> > 2. Rearrange
      >> > 3. REStack the tabs.
      >> >
      >> > Note, that you do not need to enable reordering this way.
      >>
      >> That would work, but it is even less convenient that making the
      >> reordering setting persistent. Your method requires more work than
      >> just manually selecting "Allow Reordering" in each session.
      >

      > Pardon me all to hell. I didn't mean to inconvenience you.
      > Since you dind't explain a lot about reording I foolishly envisioned
      > you reordering once, and then be satisfied with the result.
      >
      > Actually, if you want convenient, you should be looking in the clips
      > group. What you want is well within the capability of a special
      clip.
      > Perhaps there is sonmebodyy else who prefers to stack tabs and has
      run
      > into your problem, and solved it.

      One of the problems with on-line discussions is that the reader can't
      see the writer's body language, facial expressions or hear the tone
      in his voice. I was not attempting to be rude to you.

      I was not criticizing you. I was just responding to your suggestion,
      objectively stating that it required more steps than the simple right-
      click to the command "Allow Reordering".

      Your suggestion about asking in the clips group is good. Maybe
      someone has already created a clip for this. I'm hoping that the
      NoteTab developers may, in a future version, create an option to
      allow the default to be overridden so that "Allow Reordering" could
      then be persistent for those who so choose.

      Thanks for your responses and ideas.
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007

          > see the writer's body language, facial expressions or hear the tone
          > in his voice. I was not attempting to be rude to you.

          I did not take your comment as rude.
          However, the term "inconvenient" seem way out of proportion to the
          convenience of a single click to allow persistent reordering, as
          opposed to temporary reordering.

          The reordering part is what _I_ would have deemed incinvenient.

          > ... it required more steps than the simple right-
          > click to the command "Allow Reordering".

          Now you even call your NON-persistent single step
          as more convenient than my persistent single step.

          See, the THREE steps I provided included reordering in the middle,
          a single step to ENABLE reordering (persistently) and LOCKING IN the
          reorder.

          Clearly I'm missing something, if this is still too inconenient.

          Eb
        • tuttle.grey
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
            > > see the writer's body language, facial expressions or hear the
            tone
            > > in his voice. I was not attempting to be rude to you.
            >
            > I did not take your comment as rude.
            > However, the term "inconvenient" seem way out of proportion to the
            > convenience of a single click to allow persistent reordering, as
            > opposed to temporary reordering.

            I guess I think the use of "inconvenient" is more civil than
            your "Pardon me all to hell". I don't wish to start a war here, I
            thought it was just a discussion.

            > The reordering part is what _I_ would have deemed incinvenient.
            >
            > > ... it required more steps than the simple right-
            > > click to the command "Allow Reordering".
            >
            > Now you even call your NON-persistent single step
            > as more convenient than my persistent single step.
            >
            > See, the THREE steps I provided included reordering in the middle,
            > a single step to ENABLE reordering (persistently) and LOCKING IN the
            > reorder.
            >
            > Clearly I'm missing something, if this is still too inconenient.

            The reordering is not a one-time event. I reorder during most editing
            sessions. With your process, I would need to execute those three
            steps each time I want to reorder. It's simpler to do the single step
            of "Allow Reordering".

            In either case, the _result_ of the reordering or restacking is of
            course persistent between sessions. That's where I may not have been
            clear. Whatever sequence the tabs are in will be saved for the next
            session. It's just the "Allow Reordering" state of checked or on that
            is not persistent.

            An addition to the user Options would easily take care of this, by
            allowing override of the default behaviour.
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007
              > Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
              > (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering persistent?
              > You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That way
              > only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have the
              > value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.

              Actually, one very handy shortcut that hasn't been mentioned in this
              thread is a mouse double-click on a document tab. Doing so toggles the
              status of the "Allow Reordering" option. It takes just a fraction of a
              second, and since you have to use the mouse anyway for the operation, it
              is all very seamless.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • tuttle.grey
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007

                > > Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
                > > (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering
                persistent?
                > > You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That
                way
                > > only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have
                the
                > > value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.
                >
                > Actually, one very handy shortcut that hasn't been mentioned in
                this
                > thread is a mouse double-click on a document tab. Doing so toggles
                the
                > status of the "Allow Reordering" option. It takes just a fraction
                of a
                > second, and since you have to use the mouse anyway for the
                operation, it
                > is all very seamless.

                That's a good tip. That is certainly faster than right-clicking to
                reach the command. Until we have an option to make Allow Reordering
                persistent, this mouse double-click is a good technique.

                Thanks Eric!
              • buralex@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007
                  Eric Fookes <egroups@...> said on Sep 21, 2007 11:41 -0400 (in
                  part):
                  >> Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
                  >> > (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering persistent?
                  >> > You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That way
                  >> > only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have the
                  >> > value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.
                  >>

                  > Actually, one very handy shortcut that hasn't been mentioned in this
                  > thread is a mouse double-click on a document tab. Doing so toggles the
                  > status of the "Allow Reordering" option. It takes just a fraction of a
                  > second, and since you have to use the mouse anyway for the operation, it
                  > is all very seamless.
                  Eric - very neat. I never would have thought to try double-clicking on
                  tab. I see it *IS* documented in "Tips and How to..."

                  > When you have several documents open, you can drag-and-drop page tabs
                  > to reorder them any way you like. If the tabs are stacked, you will
                  > first have to enable drag-and-drop by double clicking on the tab
                  > before moving it.
                  Could you perhaps add that to HELP-Keyboard Shortcuts for the next
                  release, maybe increasing the likelihood someone will find it :-)

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                • ebbtidalflats
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 23, 2007
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                    <quote>
                    In either case, the _result_ of the reordering or restacking is of
                    course persistent between sessions. That's where I may not have been
                    clear. Whatever sequence the tabs are in will be saved for the next
                    session. It's just the "Allow Reordering" state of checked or on that
                    is not persistent.</quote>

                    Ahhhh, that makes everything clear. I had already been primed to point
                    out, that the restacked order is persistent on my system.

                    Eb