Re: "Allow Reordering" of Tabs - setting is not persistent

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

      > NoteTab Pro 5.4
      >
      > To reorder document tabs on the Tab Bar, one must right-click the Tab
      > Bar for the command "Allow Reordering". However, after exiting the next

      This is only required, if you use STCKED tabs. If you disable stacked
      tabs, you no longer need to "enable" reordering. Just drage document
      tabs to wherever you want them (though you may have to do this in
      several steps, and scroll the tabs, if there are more than one screen
      width).

      Whatever you change to will be persistent.

      If you insist on stacked tabs, try this in order:

      1. UNstack the tabs,
      2. Rearrange
      3. REStack the tabs.

      Note, that you do not need to enable reordering this way.

      4. close and reload NoteTab t check the result.

      Cheers

      Eb
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
        There is also in Jody's Dir_stuff.clb, a tab ordering clip which closes
        and reopens all tabs alphabetically.

        Jeff

        --

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
        ~~

        Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
        'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
        The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.
      • prog@lomascentral.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
          Standard upgrade from 5.3, no changes to the setup.

          I did reinstall my OS recently. As memory serves I reinstalled the OS,
          reinstalled 4.95 (which was the version I happened to have on disc) and
          upgraded from that to 5.3, then upgraded to 5,4 shortly afterwards.

          However I rebooted into the previous OS which had been upgraded each
          time an upgrade was available for the last 2 or 3 years.

          I don't recall if reordering tabs was enabled on install, it's one of
          those things I don't notice isn't active until I need to use it but I
          enabled and re-enabled 3 or 4 times closing and re-opening (and
          rebooting at one point) to check it.

          I don't have anything fancy installed, to be honest I hardly touch the
          features, it's the ability to load huge text files and edit them
          effortlessly that I use it for, I have a number of 20MB plus files I
          need to deal with on a regular basis.

          Tim

        • buralex@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
            I'd forgotten that default value of Allow Reordering is conditional on
            the value of Use Stacked tabs.

            Personally I wish the value set would stick regardless but vaguely
            remember a discussion long ago about why the non-stickiness of Allow
            dragging when Stacked tabs are on is a FEATURE not a BUG :-) . Maybe
            something about it being confusing if tabs are stacked and dragging
            takes place?

            I have stacked on because once in a while I open a whole bunch of files
            (or work on files that have very long names) and its essential then but
            9 times out of 10 the number of files I have open does NOT cause
            stacking and the only reason I ever want the drag option is so that when
            switching to second-window when debugging a clip I can get the clip on
            the right on and the test data file on the left.

            Glad this came up - I've turned off stacking. Hope I remember where to
            turn it back on from the next time I open 20 or thirty files at once!

            "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> said on Sep 14, 2007 10:30
            -0400 (in part):
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
            >

            >> > NoteTab Pro 5.4
            >> >
            >> > To reorder document tabs on the Tab Bar, one must right-click the Tab
            >> > Bar for the command "Allow Reordering". However, after exiting the next
            >>

            > This is only required, if you use STCKED tabs. If you disable stacked
            > tabs, you no longer need to "enable" reordering. Just drage document
            > tabs to wherever you want them (though you may have to do this in
            > several steps, and scroll the tabs, if there are more than one screen
            > width).

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 15, 2007
              Hi Alec,

              > I'd forgotten that default value of Allow Reordering is conditional on
              > the value of Use Stacked tabs.
              >
              > Personally I wish the value set would stick regardless but vaguely
              > remember a discussion long ago about why the non-stickiness of Allow
              > dragging when Stacked tabs are on is a FEATURE not a BUG :-) . Maybe
              > something about it being confusing if tabs are stacked and dragging
              > takes place?

              That is correct. Many years ago, the option was retained across
              sessions. Unfortunately, users would forget about it and get completely
              confused and annoyed when their tabs lost their position when stacked.
              At the time, Jody had to deal with a lot of support mail on the subject.
              Since limiting the feature to a session, we stopped receiving those
              support mails, which was a good thing <g>.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • tuttle.grey
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 18, 2007
                On Fri, September 14, 2007 10:30 am, ebbtidalflats wrote:
                > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> NoteTab Pro 5.4
                >>
                >> To reorder document tabs on the Tab Bar, one must right-click the
                Tab
                >> Bar for the command "Allow Reordering". However, after exiting the
                next

                > This is only required, if you use STCKED tabs.

                You're right, I just discovered that. It hadn't occurred to me that
                that was a variable affecting reordering, because I always use
                stacked tabs.

                > If you insist on stacked tabs, try this in order:
                >
                > 1. UNstack the tabs,
                > 2. Rearrange
                > 3. REStack the tabs.
                >
                > Note, that you do not need to enable reordering this way.

                That would work, but it is even less convenient that making the
                reordering setting persistent. Your method requires more work than
                just manually selecting "Allow Reordering" in each session.

                Thanks.
                (from Yahoo site - mail reply not working)
              • tuttle.grey
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 18, 2007
                  On Sat, September 15, 2007 12:04 pm, Eric Fookes wrote:

                  >> I'd forgotten that default value of Allow Reordering is
                  conditional on
                  >> the value of Use Stacked tabs.
                  >>
                  >> Personally I wish the value set would stick regardless but vaguely
                  >> remember a discussion long ago about why the non-stickiness of
                  Allow
                  >> dragging when Stacked tabs are on is a FEATURE not a BUG :-) .
                  Maybe
                  >> something about it being confusing if tabs are stacked and dragging
                  >> takes place?
                  >
                  > That is correct. Many years ago, the option was retained across
                  > sessions. Unfortunately, users would forget about it and get
                  completely
                  > confused and annoyed when their tabs lost their position when
                  stacked.
                  > At the time, Jody had to deal with a lot of support mail on the
                  subject.
                  > Since limiting the feature to a session, we stopped receiving those
                  > support mails, which was a good thing <g>.

                  Thanks for the explanation.

                  Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
                  (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering persistent?
                  You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That way
                  only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have the
                  value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 19, 2007
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                    > > If you insist on stacked tabs, try this in order:
                    > >
                    > > 1. UNstack the tabs,
                    > > 2. Rearrange
                    > > 3. REStack the tabs.
                    > >
                    > > Note, that you do not need to enable reordering this way.
                    >
                    > That would work, but it is even less convenient that making the
                    > reordering setting persistent. Your method requires more work than
                    > just manually selecting "Allow Reordering" in each session.

                    Pardon me all to hell. I didn't mean to inconvenience you.
                    Since you dind't explain a lot about reording I foolishly envisioned
                    you reordering once, and then be satisfied with the result.

                    Actually, if you want convenient, you should be looking in the clips
                    group. What you want is well within the capability of a special clip.
                    Perhaps there is sonmebodyy else who prefers to stack tabs and has run
                    into your problem, and solved it.

                    Eb
                  • tuttle.grey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 19, 2007
                      On Wed, September 19, 2007 5:50 pm, ebbtidalflats wrote:
                      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > If you insist on stacked tabs, try this in order:
                      >> >
                      >> > 1. UNstack the tabs,
                      >> > 2. Rearrange
                      >> > 3. REStack the tabs.
                      >> >
                      >> > Note, that you do not need to enable reordering this way.
                      >>
                      >> That would work, but it is even less convenient that making the
                      >> reordering setting persistent. Your method requires more work than
                      >> just manually selecting "Allow Reordering" in each session.
                      >

                      > Pardon me all to hell. I didn't mean to inconvenience you.
                      > Since you dind't explain a lot about reording I foolishly envisioned
                      > you reordering once, and then be satisfied with the result.
                      >
                      > Actually, if you want convenient, you should be looking in the clips
                      > group. What you want is well within the capability of a special
                      clip.
                      > Perhaps there is sonmebodyy else who prefers to stack tabs and has
                      run
                      > into your problem, and solved it.

                      One of the problems with on-line discussions is that the reader can't
                      see the writer's body language, facial expressions or hear the tone
                      in his voice. I was not attempting to be rude to you.

                      I was not criticizing you. I was just responding to your suggestion,
                      objectively stating that it required more steps than the simple right-
                      click to the command "Allow Reordering".

                      Your suggestion about asking in the clips group is good. Maybe
                      someone has already created a clip for this. I'm hoping that the
                      NoteTab developers may, in a future version, create an option to
                      allow the default to be overridden so that "Allow Reordering" could
                      then be persistent for those who so choose.

                      Thanks for your responses and ideas.
                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007

                          > see the writer's body language, facial expressions or hear the tone
                          > in his voice. I was not attempting to be rude to you.

                          I did not take your comment as rude.
                          However, the term "inconvenient" seem way out of proportion to the
                          convenience of a single click to allow persistent reordering, as
                          opposed to temporary reordering.

                          The reordering part is what _I_ would have deemed incinvenient.

                          > ... it required more steps than the simple right-
                          > click to the command "Allow Reordering".

                          Now you even call your NON-persistent single step
                          as more convenient than my persistent single step.

                          See, the THREE steps I provided included reordering in the middle,
                          a single step to ENABLE reordering (persistently) and LOCKING IN the
                          reorder.

                          Clearly I'm missing something, if this is still too inconenient.

                          Eb
                        • tuttle.grey
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007
                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
                            wrote:

                            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@> wrote:
                            > > see the writer's body language, facial expressions or hear the
                            tone
                            > > in his voice. I was not attempting to be rude to you.
                            >
                            > I did not take your comment as rude.
                            > However, the term "inconvenient" seem way out of proportion to the
                            > convenience of a single click to allow persistent reordering, as
                            > opposed to temporary reordering.

                            I guess I think the use of "inconvenient" is more civil than
                            your "Pardon me all to hell". I don't wish to start a war here, I
                            thought it was just a discussion.

                            > The reordering part is what _I_ would have deemed incinvenient.
                            >
                            > > ... it required more steps than the simple right-
                            > > click to the command "Allow Reordering".
                            >
                            > Now you even call your NON-persistent single step
                            > as more convenient than my persistent single step.
                            >
                            > See, the THREE steps I provided included reordering in the middle,
                            > a single step to ENABLE reordering (persistently) and LOCKING IN the
                            > reorder.
                            >
                            > Clearly I'm missing something, if this is still too inconenient.

                            The reordering is not a one-time event. I reorder during most editing
                            sessions. With your process, I would need to execute those three
                            steps each time I want to reorder. It's simpler to do the single step
                            of "Allow Reordering".

                            In either case, the _result_ of the reordering or restacking is of
                            course persistent between sessions. That's where I may not have been
                            clear. Whatever sequence the tabs are in will be saved for the next
                            session. It's just the "Allow Reordering" state of checked or on that
                            is not persistent.

                            An addition to the user Options would easily take care of this, by
                            allowing override of the default behaviour.
                          • Eric Fookes
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007
                              > Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
                              > (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering persistent?
                              > You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That way
                              > only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have the
                              > value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.

                              Actually, one very handy shortcut that hasn't been mentioned in this
                              thread is a mouse double-click on a document tab. Doing so toggles the
                              status of the "Allow Reordering" option. It takes just a fraction of a
                              second, and since you have to use the mouse anyway for the operation, it
                              is all very seamless.

                              Eric Fookes
                              http://www.fookes.com/
                            • tuttle.grey
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007

                                > > Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
                                > > (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering
                                persistent?
                                > > You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That
                                way
                                > > only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have
                                the
                                > > value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.
                                >
                                > Actually, one very handy shortcut that hasn't been mentioned in
                                this
                                > thread is a mouse double-click on a document tab. Doing so toggles
                                the
                                > status of the "Allow Reordering" option. It takes just a fraction
                                of a
                                > second, and since you have to use the mouse anyway for the
                                operation, it
                                > is all very seamless.

                                That's a good tip. That is certainly faster than right-clicking to
                                reach the command. Until we have an option to make Allow Reordering
                                persistent, this mouse double-click is a good technique.

                                Thanks Eric!
                              • buralex@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 21, 2007
                                  Eric Fookes <egroups@...> said on Sep 21, 2007 11:41 -0400 (in
                                  part):
                                  >> Would it be possible, in a future version, to include an option
                                  >> > (in "Options") to make the setting of Allow Reordering persistent?
                                  >> > You could still leave the default as "No" (not persistent). That way
                                  >> > only those users who explicitly chose the behaviour would have the
                                  >> > value saved, which should prevent those needless support mails.
                                  >>

                                  > Actually, one very handy shortcut that hasn't been mentioned in this
                                  > thread is a mouse double-click on a document tab. Doing so toggles the
                                  > status of the "Allow Reordering" option. It takes just a fraction of a
                                  > second, and since you have to use the mouse anyway for the operation, it
                                  > is all very seamless.
                                  Eric - very neat. I never would have thought to try double-clicking on
                                  tab. I see it *IS* documented in "Tips and How to..."

                                  > When you have several documents open, you can drag-and-drop page tabs
                                  > to reorder them any way you like. If the tabs are stacked, you will
                                  > first have to enable drag-and-drop by double clicking on the tab
                                  > before moving it.
                                  Could you perhaps add that to HELP-Keyboard Shortcuts for the next
                                  release, maybe increasing the likelihood someone will find it :-)

                                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                                • ebbtidalflats
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 23, 2007
                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                                    <quote>
                                    In either case, the _result_ of the reordering or restacking is of
                                    course persistent between sessions. That's where I may not have been
                                    clear. Whatever sequence the tabs are in will be saved for the next
                                    session. It's just the "Allow Reordering" state of checked or on that
                                    is not persistent.</quote>

                                    Ahhhh, that makes everything clear. I had already been primed to point
                                    out, that the restacked order is persistent on my system.

                                    Eb