Re: [NTB] NoteTab 5.4 (including NoteTab Light) now released

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 7, 2007
      --- Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > We're pleased to announce the release of NoteTab 5.4, which includes
      > NoteTab Light!

      This is wonderful news! Only problem is that I'm mostly in Ubuntu
      these days and NoteTab doesn't work very well in Wine.

      Is there any chance a Linux compatible version of NoteTab will ever be
      available? PLEASE consider doing so. I would pay dearly for the
      convenience of not having to boot into XP. Thanks.

      sisterscape

      Need a vacation? Get great deals
      to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
      http://travel.yahoo.com/
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 7, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

        > This is wonderful news! Only problem is that I'm mostly in Ubuntu
        > these days and NoteTab doesn't work very well in Wine.
        >
        > Is there any chance a Linux compatible version of NoteTab will ever be
        > available? PLEASE consider doing so. I would pay dearly for the
        > convenience of not having to boot into XP. Thanks.

        I never found a good one, at least for html.

        And for Mac, many people speaks about the Barebone's editor, but I
        can't find my way in this program.

        In linux, there is Gedit, a plain editor with html extensions, comes
        close to NoteTab (if I remember correct), but I didn't manage to get
        it proper working for html.

        Bottomline: Please, give us a Mac-version of NoteTab, and Linux
        aswell. Please!
        And the Mac-market is in an expanding curve anyway :-))
        --
        Adrien
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 7, 2007
          --- Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

          > Bottomline: Please, give us a Mac-version of NoteTab, and Linux
          > aswell. Please!
          > And the Mac-market is in an expanding curve anyway :-))
          > --
          > Adrien

          Linux is also expanding on the desktop now that Dell is offering Ubuntu
          pre-loaded. Also even the thought Vista is driving many (like me) to
          finally make the leap away from Windoze.

          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
        • pcchynoweth
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 9, 2007
            Hi everyone:

            Still having trouble trying to get the option to update NoteTab. I am
            using 5.3. I followed instructions here - Check for Updates, Get
            Headlines and still information about 5.4 is not showing up. I also
            turned Poll for News on and off (as suggested by one reply) and that
            did not help either.

            Any other ideas?

            Peter
          • Bruce Meyers

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 9, 2007
                Bruce Meyers (oldguy1166@...), Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:05 PM

                > When you click on on all of this, minimize NoteTab and you might
                > find the screen you are looking for hidden behind NoteTab. I could
                > not find the update screen until I minimized NoteTab and there it was
                > waiting for me. It does not automatically replace NoteTab, it just
                > sits and waits in behind NoteTab until you clear what is in front of
                > it.

                >> Still having trouble trying to get the option to update NoteTab. I am
                >> using 5.3. I followed instructions here - Check for Updates, Get
                >> Headlines and still information about 5.4 is not showing up. I also
                >> turned Poll for News on and off (as suggested by one reply) and that did
                >> not help either.
                >
                >> Any other ideas?

                Did you (Peter) verify that you have access to the Internet and that your
                firewall allows your version(s) of NoteTab to go there? (Such dialog screens
                could also be hidden behind other windows, increasing the chance that you
                have accidentally answered "no". Do check your firewall log or rules.)

                --
                Chris Laarman
              • pcchynoweth
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 9, 2007
                  Thanks everyone. All is well now. Not a firewall problem as far as I
                  can tell and not a problem with the dialogue box being behind
                  everything else either, but when I came back to the computer at the
                  end of the day, and started up NoteTab, the problem was fixed, and I
                  am now successfully running NoteTab 5.4.

                  Thanks for the ideas, even if I didn't do anything consciously to
                  implement them!

                  Peter

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Laarman" <v.c.laarman@...> wrote:

                  > Bruce Meyers (oldguy1166@...), Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:05 PM
                  >
                  > > When you click on on all of this, minimize NoteTab and you might
                  > > find the screen you are looking for hidden behind NoteTab. I could
                  > > not find the update screen until I minimized NoteTab and there it was
                  > > waiting for me. It does not automatically replace NoteTab, it just
                  > > sits and waits in behind NoteTab until you clear what is in front of
                  > > it.
                  >
                  > >> Still having trouble trying to get the option to update NoteTab.
                  I am
                  > >> using 5.3. I followed instructions here - Check for Updates, Get
                  > >> Headlines and still information about 5.4 is not showing up. I also
                  > >> turned Poll for News on and off (as suggested by one reply) and
                  that did
                  > >> not help either.
                  > >
                  > >> Any other ideas?
                  >
                  > Did you (Peter) verify that you have access to the Internet and that
                  your
                  > firewall allows your version(s) of NoteTab to go there? (Such dialog
                  screens
                  > could also be hidden behind other windows, increasing the chance
                  that you
                  > have accidentally answered "no". Do check your firewall log or rules.)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Chris Laarman

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                    Eric, please comment on NoteTab for Linux.

                    > --- Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bottomline: Please, give us a Mac-version of NoteTab, and Linux
                    > > aswell. Please!
                    > > And the Mac-market is in an expanding curve anyway :-))
                    > > --
                    > > Adrien
                    > >

                    > Linux is also expanding on the desktop now that Dell is offering
                    > Ubuntu
                    > pre-loaded. Also even the thought Vista is driving many (like me) to
                    > finally make the leap away from Windoze.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://farechase.yahoo.com/
                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                      Hi Sisterscape,

                      Here's a quote from the FAQ topic in NoteTab's Help file:

                      Are there plans for a Linux or MAC version of NoteTab?
                      Not at the moment. Note, that NoteTab will run on Intel-based Macs that
                      are running Windows or Wine, and on PowerPC Macs using Virtual PC. It
                      will also run on UNIX/Linux systems with Wine.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/

                      sisterscape wrote:
                      > Eric, please comment on NoteTab for Linux.
                      >

                      > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> --- Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:
                      >>> Bottomline: Please, give us a Mac-version of NoteTab, and Linux
                      >>> aswell. Please!
                      >>> And the Mac-market is in an expanding curve anyway :-))
                      >>> --
                      >>> Adrien
                      >>>
                      >> Linux is also expanding on the desktop now that Dell is offering
                      >> Ubuntu
                      >> pre-loaded. Also even the thought Vista is driving many (like me) to
                      >> finally make the leap away from Windoze.
                    • Lee Underwood
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                        I am running Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and use NoteTabPro 5.0 under Wine. Except for a few minor inconveniences, it pretty much runs like it should. The more people that use it under Wine and request support at the Wine Web site <http://www.winehq.org/>, the quicker we may be able to get the "few minor inconveniences" worked out.

                        Meanwhile, here are a few helpful links:

                        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NotetabOnLinux.php
                        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php

                        They are published by Larry Hamilton, a regular on this list.

                        Perhaps, if there is enough interest, we could even start a NoteTab-Linux-Wine user group (?) here.

                        Lee

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                          Is it possible to get a list of the libraries used in NoteTab Pro?

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                            Is it possible to get a list of the libraries/DLLs used in NoteTab Pro?

                          • buralex@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                              Lee Underwood said the following on 2007/09/17 13:32:
                              > Is it possible to get a list of the libraries/DLLs used in NoteTab Pro?
                              >
                              > Lee
                              >

                              > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:37:47 +0200 Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > | Hi Sisterscape,
                              > |
                              > | Here's a quote from the FAQ topic in NoteTab's Help file:
                              > |
                              > | Are there plans for a Linux or MAC version of NoteTab?
                              > | Not at the moment. Note, that NoteTab will run on Intel-based Macs that
                              > | are running Windows or Wine, and on PowerPC Macs using Virtual PC. It
                              > | will also run on UNIX/Linux systems with Wine.

                              Hi Lee: Have you got: Dependency Walker (depends.exe)
                              http://www.dependencywalker.com/ ?
                              That should answer most of your questions and probably many that you
                              don't care about :-)

                              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                              --
                            • Lee Underwood
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                                On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:21:51 -0400 buralex@... wrote:

                                | Hi Lee: Have you got: Dependency Walker (depends.exe)
                                | http://www.dependencywalker.com/ ?
                                | That should answer most of your questions and probably many that you
                                | don't care about :-)
                                |
                                | Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                                Wow, thanks Alec! That works great!

                                Lee
                              • sisterscape
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                                  I've got NoteTab light running under Wine. It just doesn't work all
                                  that well.

                                  1. Drag and drop doesn't work.

                                  2. I can't highlight large portions of text. Cursor stops at the
                                  bottom of the window.

                                  3. I was having trouble switching libraries. When I clicked a tab, the
                                  library flashed then disappeared. Earlier tonight I discovered that
                                  clicking on tab then moving the cursor off while the button was still
                                  depressed allowed the library to stay open. One problem solved.

                                  4. Also ran into a font problem tonight. I had added new fonts to the
                                  folder in my home directory but doing so totally fubared the fonts in
                                  NoteTab - they were unreadable. It took me quite a while to figure out
                                  that was the cause. If NoteTab is open, I'll have to rename this folder
                                  for the duration.

                                  I'll check over at winhq to see if any of these issues are addressed
                                  but I think a NoteTab Linux list would be a good idea. It should start
                                  with a step by step 'how to install under wine".

                                  --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                                  > I am running Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and use NoteTabPro 5.0 under Wine.
                                  > Except for a few minor inconveniences, it pretty much runs like it
                                  > should. The more people that use it under Wine and request support at
                                  > the Wine Web site <http://www.winehq.org/>, the quicker we may be
                                  > able to get the "few minor inconveniences" worked out.
                                  >
                                  > Meanwhile, here are a few helpful links:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NotetabOnLinux.php
                                  > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php
                                  >
                                  > They are published by Larry Hamilton, a regular on this list.
                                  >
                                  > Perhaps, if there is enough interest, we could even start a
                                  > NoteTab-Linux-Wine user group (?) here.
                                  >
                                  > Lee
                                  >

                                  > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:37:47 +0200 Eric Fookes <egroups@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > | Hi Sisterscape,
                                  > |
                                  > | Here's a quote from the FAQ topic in NoteTab's Help file:
                                  > |
                                  > | Are there plans for a Linux or MAC version of NoteTab?
                                  > | Not at the moment. Note, that NoteTab will run on Intel-based Macs
                                  > that
                                  > | are running Windows or Wine, and on PowerPC Macs using Virtual PC.
                                  > It
                                  > | will also run on UNIX/Linux systems with Wine.

                                  > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Lee Underwood
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 17, 2007
                                    One thing I found it is that in the Wine configuration, under the "Libraries" tab, set the DLL overrides to "*(native, built-in)". That helped clear up many things (e.g., highlighting large portions of text and drag and drop.)

                                    Also, if you add the fonts to the "windows/fonts" directory, it works best. (Just make sure NoteTab is closed.)

                                    I had had problems with switching libraries also. I would just click and then press F-4 but you worked it out. Thanks!

                                    Lee

                                    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:26:11 -0700 (PDT) sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                                    | I've got NoteTab light running under Wine. It just doesn't work all
                                    | that well.
                                    |
                                    | 1. Drag and drop doesn't work.
                                    |
                                    | 2. I can't highlight large portions of text. Cursor stops at the
                                    | bottom of the window.
                                    |
                                    | 3. I was having trouble switching libraries. When I clicked a tab, the
                                    | library flashed then disappeared. Earlier tonight I discovered that
                                    | clicking on tab then moving the cursor off while the button was still
                                    | depressed allowed the library to stay open. One problem solved.
                                    |
                                    | 4. Also ran into a font problem tonight. I had added new fonts to the
                                    | folder in my home directory but doing so totally fubared the fonts in
                                    | NoteTab - they were unreadable. It took me quite a while to figure out
                                    | that was the cause. If NoteTab is open, I'll have to rename this folder
                                    | for the duration.
                                    |
                                    | I'll check over at winhq to see if any of these issues are addressed
                                    | but I think a NoteTab Linux list would be a good idea. It should start
                                    | with a step by step 'how to install under wine".

                                  • Alex Plantema
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                      Op dinsdag 18 september 2007 04:26 schreef sisterscape:

                                      > 2. I can't highlight large portions of text. Cursor stops at the
                                      > bottom of the window.

                                      Did you try shift + arrow keys, shift + page down?

                                      Alex.
                                    • sisterscape
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                        WOW! Drag and drop? Highlighting? Super!! But . . .

                                        You're going to have to help me out here. I didn't set up NoteTab in
                                        Wine myself so not quite sure where to find the Wine configuration or
                                        "Libraries" tab. I poked around a bit but didn't stumble onto it.

                                        I added the fonts to the .font directory so they would be available in
                                        Gimp and other Linux apps. I don't need them for NoteTab or anything
                                        else in Wine so why would I need to add them there? *confused*

                                        Glad I could at least contribute to fixing one glitch. ;)

                                        --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                                        > One thing I found it is that in the Wine configuration, under the
                                        > "Libraries" tab, set the DLL overrides to "*(native, built-in)". That
                                        > helped clear up many things (e.g., highlighting large portions of
                                        > text and drag and drop.)
                                        >
                                        > Also, if you add the fonts to the "windows/fonts" directory, it works
                                        > best. (Just make sure NoteTab is closed.)
                                        >
                                        > I had had problems with switching libraries also. I would just click
                                        > and then press F-4 but you worked it out. Thanks!
                                        >
                                        > Lee
                                        >

                                        > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:26:11 -0700 (PDT) sisterscape
                                        > <sisterscape@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > | I've got NoteTab light running under Wine. It just doesn't work
                                        > all
                                        > | that well.
                                        > |
                                        > | 1. Drag and drop doesn't work.
                                        > |
                                        > | 2. I can't highlight large portions of text. Cursor stops at the
                                        > | bottom of the window.
                                        > |
                                        > | 3. I was having trouble switching libraries. When I clicked a tab,
                                        > the
                                        > | library flashed then disappeared. Earlier tonight I discovered that
                                        > | clicking on tab then moving the cursor off while the button was
                                        > still
                                        > | depressed allowed the library to stay open. One problem solved.
                                        > |
                                        > | 4. Also ran into a font problem tonight. I had added new fonts to
                                        > the
                                        > | folder in my home directory but doing so totally fubared the fonts
                                        > in
                                        > | NoteTab - they were unreadable. It took me quite a while to figure
                                        > out
                                        > | that was the cause. If NoteTab is open, I'll have to rename this
                                        > folder
                                        > | for the duration.
                                        > |
                                        > | I'll check over at winhq to see if any of these issues are
                                        > addressed
                                        > | but I think a NoteTab Linux list would be a good idea. It should
                                        > start
                                        > | with a step by step 'how to install under wine".

                                        > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
                                        >
                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        http://tv.yahoo.com/
                                      • sisterscape
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                          Hey, thanks! That works!!! Almost got it working . . .

                                          --- Alex Plantema <alex.plantema@...> wrote:

                                          > Op dinsdag 18 september 2007 04:26 schreef sisterscape:
                                          >
                                          > > 2. I can't highlight large portions of text. Cursor stops at the
                                          > > bottom of the window.
                                          >
                                          > Did you try shift + arrow keys, shift + page down?
                                          >
                                          > Alex.

                                          > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
                                          >
                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Lee Underwood
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                            The wine set-up should be in your home directory under ".wine". There you should find a directory for your "C" drive and the installed programs, along with a Windows directory.

                                            There should be a small config app called "Wine Configuration". The file itself should be called Winecfg. You can check this: http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main

                                            If you are using the fonts with Wine that's where you would put them. Otherwise, it shouldn't matter.

                                            BTW, what version of Linux are you running?

                                            The main problem I am still having is the cursor movement at the top and bottom of the screen.

                                            Lee

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                              --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                                              > The wine set-up should be in your home directory under ".wine". There
                                              > you should find a directory for your "C" drive and the installed
                                              > programs, along with a Windows directory.
                                              >
                                              > There should be a small config app called "Wine Configuration". The
                                              > file itself should be called Winecfg. You can check this:
                                              > http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main

                                              OK. That page was very helpful (it's winecfg BTW) I found it but there
                                              are some errors:

                                              ~$ winecfg
                                              Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                                              err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
                                              expect problems

                                              Even at that, the GUI opened and I added *(native, built-in) under the
                                              libraries tab as you suggested. Still no drag and drop. Errors or it
                                              might need a restart?

                                              I have to run out now so will have to get back to this later.

                                              > If you are using the fonts with Wine that's where you would put them.
                                              > Otherwise, it shouldn't matter.

                                              That's what I thought. Why did the fonts there mess up the NT fonts so
                                              badly?? That's the mystery.

                                              > BTW, what version of Linux are you running?

                                              Ubuntu Feisty, all up to date.

                                              > The main problem I am still having is the cursor movement at the top
                                              > and bottom of the screen.

                                              Haven't used NT in Wine enough to notice this problem.

                                              Really appreciate your expertise. We're almost there!

                                            • lm_hamilton
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                This is all great information in this thread. I changed the subject
                                                line to help it stand out better.

                                                I will have to try these things out when I get home.

                                                I am not sure we need a new email group just for NoteTab on Linux. I
                                                do think we need a common place to keep such information.

                                                I will be taking these latest tidbits and updating my NoteTab on Linux
                                                pages.

                                                Perhaps an FAQ page for NoteTab on Linux would be enough, if it was
                                                updated with new information regularly. Maybe a list of issues that we
                                                can seek answers for. Tying such information back to the NoteTab entry
                                                at WinHQ.org would be best.

                                                Larry Hamilton

                                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                                                > --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > The wine set-up should be in your home directory under ".wine". There
                                                > > you should find a directory for your "C" drive and the installed
                                                > > programs, along with a Windows directory.
                                                > >
                                                > > There should be a small config app called "Wine Configuration". The
                                                > > file itself should be called Winecfg. You can check this:
                                                > > http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main
                                                > >

                                                > OK. That page was very helpful (it's winecfg BTW) I found it but there
                                                > are some errors:
                                                >
                                                > ~$ winecfg
                                                > Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                                                > err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
                                                > expect problems
                                                >
                                                > Even at that, the GUI opened and I added *(native, built-in) under the
                                                > libraries tab as you suggested. Still no drag and drop. Errors or it
                                                > might need a restart?
                                                >
                                                > I have to run out now so will have to get back to this later.
                                                >

                                                > > If you are using the fonts with Wine that's where you would put them.
                                                > > Otherwise, it shouldn't matter.
                                                > >

                                                > That's what I thought. Why did the fonts there mess up the NT fonts so
                                                > badly?? That's the mystery.
                                                >

                                                > > BTW, what version of Linux are you running?
                                                > >

                                                > Ubuntu Feisty, all up to date.
                                                >
                                                > > The main problem I am still having is the cursor movement at the top
                                                > > and bottom of the screen.
                                                > >

                                                > Haven't used NT in Wine enough to notice this problem.
                                                >
                                                > Really appreciate your expertise. We're almost there!

                                                user panel and lay it on us.

                                              • Lee Underwood
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                  On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:07:01 -0700 (PDT) sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                                                  | ~$ winecfg
                                                  | Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                                                  | err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
                                                  | expect problems
                                                  |
                                                  | Even at that, the GUI opened and I added *(native, built-in) under the
                                                  | libraries tab as you suggested. Still no drag and drop. Errors or it
                                                  | might need a restart?

                                                  In the Wine configuration GUI, what do you have under the "Graphics" tab. (BTW, be sure to click on the NoteTab application on the first tab so that it is highlighted.) I have the first box unchecked, the second checked, and the Direct3D box set to "Hardware", "Allow Pixel Shader".

                                                  | > If you are using the fonts with Wine that's where you would put them.
                                                  | > Otherwise, it shouldn't matter.
                                                  | >

                                                  | That's what I thought. Why did the fonts there mess up the NT fonts so
                                                  | badly?? That's the mystery.

                                                  I have no idea, it's strange.

                                                  | Really appreciate your expertise. We're almost there!

                                                  It comes from Larry Hamilton and others. Believe me, I'm not that smart ... ;->
                                                • sisterscape
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 18, 2007
                                                    --- Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                                                    > In the Wine configuration GUI, what do you have under the "Graphics"
                                                    > tab. (BTW, be sure to click on the NoteTab application on the first
                                                    > tab so that it is highlighted.)

                                                    By first tab, do you mean Applications? The only listing there was
                                                    "default settings". So I added NoteTab.exe on the Applications tab.
                                                    And then in Libraries associated (native, builtin) with NoteTab.exe.

                                                    Still no drag and drop. I must be missing something really obvious.

                                                    I had made the previous changes without the NoteTab association so
                                                    please tell me what they should be for default settings . . . I think I
                                                    might've screwed something else up.

                                                    > I have the first box unchecked, the
                                                    > second checked, and the Direct3D box set to "Hardware", "Allow Pixel
                                                    > Shader".

                                                    Yes, those are the Graphics tab settings.

                                                    > Believe me, I'm not that smart ... ;->

                                                    Could'a fooled me.

                                                    http://tv.yahoo.com/
                                                  • Gerard Huijing
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 19, 2007
                                                      On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 09:07 -0700, sisterscape wrote:

                                                      > ~$ winecfg
                                                      > Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                                                      > err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL,
                                                      > expect problems

                                                      (Quoting only what is relevant to this reaction):

                                                      This type of error rather seems to point to how your videocard is
                                                      (mis)configured under Linux.

                                                      You may be tweaking NTB+wine till kingdom come without result if this is
                                                      indeed the root of the problem.

                                                      Just google "opengl linux" or "opengl ubuntu" and you will find loads of
                                                      stuff, a.o. with this type of error message relating to quite different
                                                      applications.

                                                      Unfortunately, this makes the issue a lot more complicated, and well out
                                                      of bounds of the NTB boards.

                                                      Cheers,
                                                      Gerard

                                                      --