[NTB] Re: Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

      > I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final
      step though.

      > You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces
      the USB flash
      > drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you
      need to place a
      > shortcut on each PC?

      The shortcut on a desktop is ONLY for PCs that have the batchfile
      installed on them.

      If you don't know which PC that is going to be, you will have to place
      the batchfile on the USB stick, and run it by finding it in the
      Windows Explorer.

      By the way, I routinely run into problems running software directly
      from a USB stick, EXE file OR batchfile.

      Cheers,

      Eb
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

        > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon,
        shortcut, file,
        > something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed.
        I'll click that
        > to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I
        don't want to have
        > to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it
        won't work on other
        > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
        assigned a different
        > letter.
        >
        > Can you offer any solution to do that?

        PMFJI,

        Anything you do, that would install an icon on the PC where you plug
        in your USB stick will have to involve executing a program.

        You might as well run the btachfile directly, using an autorun.inf
        file, that runs your batchfile or even NoteTab directly.

        But autorun may be deactivated (as it is on any of my PCs), or may
        even result in the entire drive being quarrantined because the
        anti-virus software could interpret such an execution as an attack.

        If you're not familiar with autorun, just look at your typical
        installation CD, to see how they structure it.

        Cheers,

        Eb
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
          Tuttle Grey wrote:
          > Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh
          > ini file. I had thought to save time by reusing mine from my
          > main system drive, but it's too much trouble.
          >
          > Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that
          > had been documented in the help files, it would have saved
          > a lot of time. :)
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an
          > icon, shortcut, file, something *on the same USB flash drive*
          > where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that to launch NoteTab
          > on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to
          > have to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then
          > obviously it won't work on other
          > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
          > assigned a different letter.
          >
          > Can you offer any solution to do that?

          Tuttle,

          The easiest and most trouble-free method I've found is, install NoteTab
          on the USB and create a batchfile in the root folder of the USB. I have
          a 2 line batchfile finds and starts NoteTab initially. You should set
          the USB install to;

          'View > Options > View > Icon in System Tray' and
          'View > Options > View > Close to System Tray'.

          This way, on subsequent starts there will be an icon in the System Tray
          to start NoteTab.
          ------ 2 line batchfile --------
          @Echo OFF
          For %%d in (d e f g h i j k l m o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist
          "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

          Place this batchfile in the root folder of usb, edit the path examples
          to match yours, save file and double-click it to start first time. It
          will leave an open dos box/window the first time, close it and use the
          systray icon to restart NoteTab if needed.

          ºvº SL-8--1700 -created- 2007.08.14 - 11.33.25

          Classic Clothing:
          "Wearing Outfits You Already Have."