[NTB] Re: Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
      Judging from the length of this and similar threads, the
      drive letter/datapath of NoteTab is still a mess.

      I don't knwo if this is the solution, but summarizing what
      I have read and experienced in my own installations,
      here is what I would try next:

      1. creat a NoteTab path on the USB drive
      2. create an EMPTY NotePro.INI file in this folder.
      3. Install NoteTab INTO THIS SAME folder

      Now create a shortcut to the executable on the USB stick,
      using the Windows start command:

      start X:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USB

      where "X" is the drive letter of the USB stick.

      This drive letter will not change on the current machine
      (probably) but will likely be different on any other machine.

      This is the problem the /USB switch is supposed to solve,
      but doesn't completely.

      I found it necessary to create the following batchfile
      to set the same driveletter for the USB drive, wherever
      I stick the USB stick:
      -------->8---------------
      @echo off
      rem Use the /USB switch to start NoteTab on USB drive.
      title NoteTab X USB
      FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NotePro.ini set
      SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
      echo.
      echo Sneaker Net NOT FOUND!
      echo.
      pause
      goto DONE

      :FOUND
      echo.
      echo.
      IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
      subst X: %SneakerNet%\
      echo.
      echo WAIT for this Window to close
      echo.
      rem start NTP with USB switch
      start /WAIT X:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USB

      :DONE
      IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
      -------->8---------------

      If you're interested in what the various commands do,
      here's an outline:

      First find the location of the USB stick by searching for
      the NotePro.ini file in a ?:\NTP\ folder using a FOR loop
      (my choice for the location of NoteTab on USB).

      Next create an alias for the actual drive, called "X:"
      using SUBST

      Then run NoteTab.

      After ntp exits, remove the alias.

      Finally, create a shortcut on each PC where I use this stick,
      pointing it to ?:\NTP\MySneakernet.bat
      where the "?" is replaced by the actual drive letter.

      The main reason for this Firlefanz is the need to preserve
      hard links in several HTML files, which NoteTab cannot control.
      Side benefit -- you no longer have discardable favorites files,
      as they will always point to the X: drive, not some drive on
      a different machine.

      Cheers

      Eb
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
        Hi,

        The part that is messing up the /USB feature in your case is the
        following line in your NotePro.ini file:

        UseProfileFolder=1

        Remove it or set it to UseProfileFolder=0 and NoteTab will no longer use
        the Application Data folder when you specify the /USB switch.

        Note that if you had installed NoteTab on the USB key without the INI
        file, it would have worked correctly from the start with the /USB switch.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        Tuttle Grey wrote:
        > Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
        >
        > On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
        >> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
        >>
        >> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
        >> drive letter of the USB drive,
        >
        > Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in this
        > first block of values?:
        >
        > [Application]
        > MainDirectory=
        > Version=5300
        > UseRegistry=0
        > CloseToTray=0
        > DisactivateToTray=0
        > IconInTray=0
        > PollForNews=0
        > UseProfileFolder=1
        > LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
        > LastNews=2007/07/06
        > LastNewsSig=1236051467
        > LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07
      • Tuttle Grey
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
          I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final step though.

          You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces the USB flash
          drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you need to place a
          shortcut on each PC?

          The PCs to which I insert this USB flash drive won't regularly be used by me. In
          fact I may use a particular PC only once (borrowed at a library, cybercafe, etc.)
          What I'm hoping to find is a solution that allows me to create an icon, shortcut,
          file, something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed. I'll click
          that to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch.

          Can your solution be used to do that?

        • Tuttle Grey
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
            Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh ini file. I had thought
            to save time by reusing mine from my main system drive, but it's too much trouble.

            Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that had been documented in
            the help files, it would have saved a lot of time. :)

            Thanks.

            I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon, shortcut, file,
            something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that
            to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to have
            to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it won't work on other
            PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is assigned a different
            letter.

            Can you offer any solution to do that?

            On Mon, August 13, 2007 5:08 pm, Eric Fookes wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > The part that is messing up the /USB feature in your case is the
            > following line in your NotePro.ini file:
            >
            > UseProfileFolder=1
            >
            > Remove it or set it to UseProfileFolder=0 and NoteTab will no longer use
            > the Application Data folder when you specify the /USB switch.
            >
            > Note that if you had installed NoteTab on the USB key without the INI
            > file, it would have worked correctly from the start with the /USB switch.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Eric Fookes
            > http://www.fookes.com/
            >

            > Tuttle Grey wrote:
            >> Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
            >>
            >> On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
            >>> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
            >>>
            >>> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
            >>> drive letter of the USB drive,
            >>
            >> Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in
            >> this
            >> first block of values?:
            >>
            >> [Application]
            >> MainDirectory=
            >> Version=5300
            >> UseRegistry=0
            >> CloseToTray=0
            >> DisactivateToTray=0
            >> IconInTray=0
            >> PollForNews=0
            >> UseProfileFolder=1
            >> LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
            >> LastNews=2007/07/06
            >> LastNewsSig=1236051467
            >> LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

              > I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final
              step though.

              > You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces
              the USB flash
              > drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you
              need to place a
              > shortcut on each PC?

              The shortcut on a desktop is ONLY for PCs that have the batchfile
              installed on them.

              If you don't know which PC that is going to be, you will have to place
              the batchfile on the USB stick, and run it by finding it in the
              Windows Explorer.

              By the way, I routinely run into problems running software directly
              from a USB stick, EXE file OR batchfile.

              Cheers,

              Eb
            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon,
                shortcut, file,
                > something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed.
                I'll click that
                > to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I
                don't want to have
                > to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it
                won't work on other
                > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
                assigned a different
                > letter.
                >
                > Can you offer any solution to do that?

                PMFJI,

                Anything you do, that would install an icon on the PC where you plug
                in your USB stick will have to involve executing a program.

                You might as well run the btachfile directly, using an autorun.inf
                file, that runs your batchfile or even NoteTab directly.

                But autorun may be deactivated (as it is on any of my PCs), or may
                even result in the entire drive being quarrantined because the
                anti-virus software could interpret such an execution as an attack.

                If you're not familiar with autorun, just look at your typical
                installation CD, to see how they structure it.

                Cheers,

                Eb
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                  Tuttle Grey wrote:
                  > Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh
                  > ini file. I had thought to save time by reusing mine from my
                  > main system drive, but it's too much trouble.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that
                  > had been documented in the help files, it would have saved
                  > a lot of time. :)
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an
                  > icon, shortcut, file, something *on the same USB flash drive*
                  > where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that to launch NoteTab
                  > on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to
                  > have to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then
                  > obviously it won't work on other
                  > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
                  > assigned a different letter.
                  >
                  > Can you offer any solution to do that?

                  Tuttle,

                  The easiest and most trouble-free method I've found is, install NoteTab
                  on the USB and create a batchfile in the root folder of the USB. I have
                  a 2 line batchfile finds and starts NoteTab initially. You should set
                  the USB install to;

                  'View > Options > View > Icon in System Tray' and
                  'View > Options > View > Close to System Tray'.

                  This way, on subsequent starts there will be an icon in the System Tray
                  to start NoteTab.
                  ------ 2 line batchfile --------
                  @Echo OFF
                  For %%d in (d e f g h i j k l m o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist
                  "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

                  Place this batchfile in the root folder of usb, edit the path examples
                  to match yours, save file and double-click it to start first time. It
                  will leave an open dos box/window the first time, close it and use the
                  systray icon to restart NoteTab if needed.

                  ºvº SL-8--1700 -created- 2007.08.14 - 11.33.25

                  Classic Clothing:
                  "Wearing Outfits You Already Have."