Re: [NTB] Re: Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB key ?

  • Tuttle Grey
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
      On Sun, August 12, 2007 1:56 pm, hsavage wrote:
      > Tuttle Grey wrote:
      > > Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
      > >
      > > On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
      > >> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
      > >>
      > >> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to
      > >> the current drive letter of the USB drive,
      > >
      > > Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I
      > > should edit something in this first block of values?:
      > >
      > > [Application]
      > > MainDirectory=
      > > Version=5300
      > > UseRegistry=0
      > >
      > >> The shortcut's target line should point to the drive letter
      > >> of the USB drive, followed by /USB.
      > >>
      > >> Here is what I use for my shortcut:
      > >>
      > >> G:\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /ini=NotePro.INI /USB
      > >
      > > Based on your advice, I tried this:
      > >
      > > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /ini=NotePro.ini /USB
      > >
      > > When I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive using that shortcut,
      > > it is still using and writing to the NotePro.ini file in the
      > > Application Data directory of my main system drive. NoteTab Pro is
      > > installed on that main drive, but I want this second copy on the
      > > USB key so I can take it with me to use on other PCs I may work
      > > on as a guest.
      > >
      > > I want the NoteTab application on
      > > the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB flash
      > > drive, so I can take my user-defined Options
      > >
      > > It seems to me that I should be able somehow to tell the NoteTab
      > > application on the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on
      > > that same USB flash drive.
      > >
      > > Any other ideas I should try? Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > > BTW, will this still work when my USB flash drive is plugged into a
      > > computer on which the USB flash drive gets assigned a drive letter
      > > other than the "E:" that is assigned by my computer?
      >
      > I made a usb installation after following this thread. This is the path
      > used in the /usb shortcut;
      >
      > "E:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

      That's what mine looks like:
      "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

      > I discovered the main NoteTab installation must be completely shut down,
      > alternately, you can checkmark menu item 'View > Multiple Instances'.

      I have Multiple Instances checked.

      > My testing has shown if the NoteTab main is not in memory the /usb
      > install works, using it own support files.

      I have launched NoteTab by double-clicking the new Shortcut that is itself on the
      USB flash drive. It still uses and alters the NotePro.ini file on the main C drive.

      > Of course, in the clipbooks you must edit out references to clips in the
      > main install. I did not have to edit the NoteTab or NoteTab Pro ini files.

      Can you please explain? What do I need to edit?

      I really only need HTML.clb, CSS1.clb, and NotePro.ini on the USB drive, as each of
      those has my own customizations and preferences. So, I want to place those three
      files onto the USB drive and make the USB NoteTab installation use those files off
      the USB. Would it help if I deleted the other files off the USB flash drive?

      > Unfortunately, the /usb switch does not compensate for USB drive letter
      > changes, but, once the shortcut is altered to reflect the correct drive
      > letter everything seems to work as it should.

      Is there any way to write the command line so that it is relative to the location of
      the shortcut, rather than an absolute reference starting from a specific drive
      letter? e.g
      " \NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

      Or, is there some other way to run a command line to do what I want? The only way I
      knew was to create a Shortcut icon on the same USB flash drive where to which I had
      copied the NoteTab executable and files. Please tell me if there is a better way.

      I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm missing something
      that no one has mentioned because to everyone else it's obvious.

      Thanks for any help.
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
        --- Tuttle Grey <tuttle@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm
        > missing something that no one has mentioned because to everyone
        else
        > it's obvious.

        Try putting the complete command line in "" not just the command to
        run the program but also the info the program needs to run.

        fw
      • Tuttle Grey
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
          On Sun, August 12, 2007 7:41 pm, fw7oaks wrote:

          > --- Tuttle Grey <tuttle@...> wrote:
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          >> I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm
          >> missing something that no one has mentioned because to everyone
          > else
          >> it's obvious.
          >
          > Try putting the complete command line in "" not just the command to
          > run the program but also the info the program needs to run.

          Was that just a guess? Because that generates an error message:

          The name ... specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and
          filename are correct.

          It seems that those switches are not allowed between the quotation marks.
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
            I'm not sure that I agree with your conclusion, that the switches are
            not allowed within the command line quotation marks.

            I note that you did not *install* NTP to the USB drive but copied the
            files from the directory over. What happened to the orginal files
            that were on the hard disk ? Is it possible that they have been
            deleted, in which case you will get the file name error ?

            fw

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

            > On Sun, August 12, 2007 7:41 pm, fw7oaks wrote:
            > >
            > > --- Tuttle Grey <tuttle@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > [snip]
            > >
            > >> I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm
            > >> missing something that no one has mentioned because to everyone
            > > else
            > >> it's obvious.
            > >
            > > Try putting the complete command line in "" not just the command
            > > run the program but also the info the program needs to run.
            >
            > Was that just a guess? Because that generates an error message:
            >
            > The name ... specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure
            the path and
            > filename are correct.
            >

            > It seems that those switches are not allowed between the quotation
            marks.

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
              Judging from the length of this and similar threads, the
              drive letter/datapath of NoteTab is still a mess.

              I don't knwo if this is the solution, but summarizing what
              I have read and experienced in my own installations,
              here is what I would try next:

              1. creat a NoteTab path on the USB drive
              2. create an EMPTY NotePro.INI file in this folder.
              3. Install NoteTab INTO THIS SAME folder

              Now create a shortcut to the executable on the USB stick,
              using the Windows start command:

              start X:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USB

              where "X" is the drive letter of the USB stick.

              This drive letter will not change on the current machine
              (probably) but will likely be different on any other machine.

              This is the problem the /USB switch is supposed to solve,
              but doesn't completely.

              I found it necessary to create the following batchfile
              to set the same driveletter for the USB drive, wherever
              I stick the USB stick:
              -------->8---------------
              @echo off
              rem Use the /USB switch to start NoteTab on USB drive.
              title NoteTab X USB
              FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NotePro.ini set
              SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
              echo.
              echo Sneaker Net NOT FOUND!
              echo.
              pause
              goto DONE

              :FOUND
              echo.
              echo.
              IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
              subst X: %SneakerNet%\
              echo.
              echo WAIT for this Window to close
              echo.
              rem start NTP with USB switch
              start /WAIT X:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USB

              :DONE
              IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
              -------->8---------------

              If you're interested in what the various commands do,
              here's an outline:

              First find the location of the USB stick by searching for
              the NotePro.ini file in a ?:\NTP\ folder using a FOR loop
              (my choice for the location of NoteTab on USB).

              Next create an alias for the actual drive, called "X:"
              using SUBST

              Then run NoteTab.

              After ntp exits, remove the alias.

              Finally, create a shortcut on each PC where I use this stick,
              pointing it to ?:\NTP\MySneakernet.bat
              where the "?" is replaced by the actual drive letter.

              The main reason for this Firlefanz is the need to preserve
              hard links in several HTML files, which NoteTab cannot control.
              Side benefit -- you no longer have discardable favorites files,
              as they will always point to the X: drive, not some drive on
              a different machine.

              Cheers

              Eb
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                Hi,

                The part that is messing up the /USB feature in your case is the
                following line in your NotePro.ini file:

                UseProfileFolder=1

                Remove it or set it to UseProfileFolder=0 and NoteTab will no longer use
                the Application Data folder when you specify the /USB switch.

                Note that if you had installed NoteTab on the USB key without the INI
                file, it would have worked correctly from the start with the /USB switch.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                Tuttle Grey wrote:
                > Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
                >
                > On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
                >> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
                >>
                >> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
                >> drive letter of the USB drive,
                >
                > Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in this
                > first block of values?:
                >
                > [Application]
                > MainDirectory=
                > Version=5300
                > UseRegistry=0
                > CloseToTray=0
                > DisactivateToTray=0
                > IconInTray=0
                > PollForNews=0
                > UseProfileFolder=1
                > LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
                > LastNews=2007/07/06
                > LastNewsSig=1236051467
                > LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07
              • Tuttle Grey
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                  I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final step though.

                  You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces the USB flash
                  drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you need to place a
                  shortcut on each PC?

                  The PCs to which I insert this USB flash drive won't regularly be used by me. In
                  fact I may use a particular PC only once (borrowed at a library, cybercafe, etc.)
                  What I'm hoping to find is a solution that allows me to create an icon, shortcut,
                  file, something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed. I'll click
                  that to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch.

                  Can your solution be used to do that?

                • Tuttle Grey
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                    Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh ini file. I had thought
                    to save time by reusing mine from my main system drive, but it's too much trouble.

                    Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that had been documented in
                    the help files, it would have saved a lot of time. :)

                    Thanks.

                    I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon, shortcut, file,
                    something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that
                    to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to have
                    to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it won't work on other
                    PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is assigned a different
                    letter.

                    Can you offer any solution to do that?

                    On Mon, August 13, 2007 5:08 pm, Eric Fookes wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > The part that is messing up the /USB feature in your case is the
                    > following line in your NotePro.ini file:
                    >
                    > UseProfileFolder=1
                    >
                    > Remove it or set it to UseProfileFolder=0 and NoteTab will no longer use
                    > the Application Data folder when you specify the /USB switch.
                    >
                    > Note that if you had installed NoteTab on the USB key without the INI
                    > file, it would have worked correctly from the start with the /USB switch.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Eric Fookes
                    > http://www.fookes.com/
                    >

                    > Tuttle Grey wrote:
                    >> Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
                    >>
                    >> On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
                    >>> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
                    >>>
                    >>> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
                    >>> drive letter of the USB drive,
                    >>
                    >> Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in
                    >> this
                    >> first block of values?:
                    >>
                    >> [Application]
                    >> MainDirectory=
                    >> Version=5300
                    >> UseRegistry=0
                    >> CloseToTray=0
                    >> DisactivateToTray=0
                    >> IconInTray=0
                    >> PollForNews=0
                    >> UseProfileFolder=1
                    >> LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
                    >> LastNews=2007/07/06
                    >> LastNewsSig=1236051467
                    >> LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07

                  • ebbtidalflats
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                      > I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final
                      step though.

                      > You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces
                      the USB flash
                      > drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you
                      need to place a
                      > shortcut on each PC?

                      The shortcut on a desktop is ONLY for PCs that have the batchfile
                      installed on them.

                      If you don't know which PC that is going to be, you will have to place
                      the batchfile on the USB stick, and run it by finding it in the
                      Windows Explorer.

                      By the way, I routinely run into problems running software directly
                      from a USB stick, EXE file OR batchfile.

                      Cheers,

                      Eb
                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                        > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon,
                        shortcut, file,
                        > something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed.
                        I'll click that
                        > to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I
                        don't want to have
                        > to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it
                        won't work on other
                        > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
                        assigned a different
                        > letter.
                        >
                        > Can you offer any solution to do that?

                        PMFJI,

                        Anything you do, that would install an icon on the PC where you plug
                        in your USB stick will have to involve executing a program.

                        You might as well run the btachfile directly, using an autorun.inf
                        file, that runs your batchfile or even NoteTab directly.

                        But autorun may be deactivated (as it is on any of my PCs), or may
                        even result in the entire drive being quarrantined because the
                        anti-virus software could interpret such an execution as an attack.

                        If you're not familiar with autorun, just look at your typical
                        installation CD, to see how they structure it.

                        Cheers,

                        Eb
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                          Tuttle Grey wrote:
                          > Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh
                          > ini file. I had thought to save time by reusing mine from my
                          > main system drive, but it's too much trouble.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that
                          > had been documented in the help files, it would have saved
                          > a lot of time. :)
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an
                          > icon, shortcut, file, something *on the same USB flash drive*
                          > where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that to launch NoteTab
                          > on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to
                          > have to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then
                          > obviously it won't work on other
                          > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
                          > assigned a different letter.
                          >
                          > Can you offer any solution to do that?

                          Tuttle,

                          The easiest and most trouble-free method I've found is, install NoteTab
                          on the USB and create a batchfile in the root folder of the USB. I have
                          a 2 line batchfile finds and starts NoteTab initially. You should set
                          the USB install to;

                          'View > Options > View > Icon in System Tray' and
                          'View > Options > View > Close to System Tray'.

                          This way, on subsequent starts there will be an icon in the System Tray
                          to start NoteTab.
                          ------ 2 line batchfile --------
                          @Echo OFF
                          For %%d in (d e f g h i j k l m o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist
                          "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

                          Place this batchfile in the root folder of usb, edit the path examples
                          to match yours, save file and double-click it to start first time. It
                          will leave an open dos box/window the first time, close it and use the
                          systray icon to restart NoteTab if needed.

                          ºvº SL-8--1700 -created- 2007.08.14 - 11.33.25

                          Classic Clothing:
                          "Wearing Outfits You Already Have."