Re: [NTB] Re: Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB key ?

  • Tuttle Grey
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
      Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:

      On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
      > The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
      >
      > Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
      > drive letter of the USB drive,

      Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in this
      first block of values?:

      [Application]
      MainDirectory=
      Version=5300
      UseRegistry=0
      CloseToTray=0
      DisactivateToTray=0
      IconInTray=0
      PollForNews=0
      UseProfileFolder=1
      LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
      LastNews=2007/07/06
      LastNewsSig=1236051467
      LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07

      > The shortcut's target line should point to the drive letter of the USB
      > drive, followed by /USB.
      >
      > Here is what I use for my shortcut:
      >
      > G:\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /ini=NotePro.INI /USB

      Based on your advice, I tried this:

      "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /ini=NotePro.ini /USB

      When I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive using that shortcut, it is still
      using and writing to the NotePro.ini file in the Application Data directory of my
      main system drive. NoteTab Pro is installed on that main drive, but I want this
      second copy on the USB key so I can take it with me to use on other PCs I may work
      on as a guest.

      The only reason I want a shortcut at the top-level directory of the USB flash drive
      is for convenience in launching. I could, however, drill down into the NoteTab
      installation directory on that USB flash drive and launch NoteTab by directly
      clicking NotePro.exe if that would be more successful. I want the NoteTab
      application on the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB
      flash drive, so I can take my user-defined Options with me when I work on other
      computers that don't have NoteTab.

      It seems to me that I should be able somehow to tell the NoteTab application on the
      USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB flash drive. But, it
      isn't working. Even though I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive with the new
      shortcut, any changes I make to Options result in changes to the values in the
      NotePro.ini on my main system drive rather than on the USB flash drive.

      Any other ideas I should try? Thanks for any help.

      BTW, will this still work when my USB flash drive is plugged into a computer on
      which the USB flash drive gets assigned a drive letter other than the "E:" that is
      assigned by my computer?

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I copied the NoteTab Pro 5.3 directories to a USB flash drive. I want
      >> to run NoteTab Pro from that drive, along with my preferences
      >> (NotePro.ini) and my modified clipbook libraries of HTML.clb and
      >> CSS1.clb.
      >>
      >> How to I do this? The help file says to use command parameter /USB, but
      >> I don't know where to put that. I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the
      >> USB key, and edited the Properties of that shortcut to add the command
      >> parameter /USB like so:
      >>
      >> "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB
      >>
      >> It doesn't work. The application on the USB key launches, but any
      >> changes I make to clipbooks or to preferences (NoteTab.ini) then change
      >> those files on my main hard drive. That indicates to me that it is not
      >> accessing those files on the USB key.
      >>
      >> How and where do I use this command parameter to force everthing to be
      >> done on the USB drive?

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
        Tuttle Grey wrote:
        > Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
        >
        > On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
        >> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
        >>
        >> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to
        >> the current drive letter of the USB drive,
        >
        > Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I
        > should edit something in this first block of values?:
        >
        > [Application]
        > MainDirectory=
        > Version=5300
        > UseRegistry=0
        >
        >> The shortcut's target line should point to the drive letter
        >> of the USB drive, followed by /USB.
        >>
        >> Here is what I use for my shortcut:
        >>
        >> G:\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /ini=NotePro.INI /USB
        >
        > Based on your advice, I tried this:
        >
        > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /ini=NotePro.ini /USB
        >
        > When I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive using that shortcut,
        > it is still using and writing to the NotePro.ini file in the
        > Application Data directory of my main system drive. NoteTab Pro is
        > installed on that main drive, but I want this second copy on the
        > USB key so I can take it with me to use on other PCs I may work
        > on as a guest.
        >
        > I want the NoteTab application on
        > the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB flash
        > drive, so I can take my user-defined Options
        >
        > It seems to me that I should be able somehow to tell the NoteTab
        > application on the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on
        > that same USB flash drive.
        >
        > Any other ideas I should try? Thanks for any help.
        >
        > BTW, will this still work when my USB flash drive is plugged into a
        > computer on which the USB flash drive gets assigned a drive letter
        > other than the "E:" that is assigned by my computer?

        I made a usb installation after following this thread. This is the path
        used in the /usb shortcut;

        "E:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

        I discovered the main NoteTab installation must be completely shut down,
        alternately, you can checkmark menu item 'View > Multiple Instances'.

        My testing has shown if the NoteTab main is not in memory the /usb
        install works, using it own support files.

        Additionally, if you checkmark 'Multiple Instances' the /usb install
        will use it own support files even if NoteTab main is running.

        Of course, in the clipbooks you must edit out references to clips in the
        main install. I did not have to edit the NoteTab or NoteTab Pro ini files.

        Unfortunately, the /usb switch does not compensate for USB drive letter
        changes, but, once the shortcut is altered to reflect the correct drive
        letter everything seems to work as it should.

        ºvº SL-8--1700 -created- 2007.08.12 - 11.22.55

        Bathroom Etiquette I:
        "Men Need Space in the Bathroom Cabinet Too."
      • Tuttle Grey
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
          On Sun, August 12, 2007 1:56 pm, hsavage wrote:
          > Tuttle Grey wrote:
          > > Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
          > >
          > > On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
          > >> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
          > >>
          > >> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to
          > >> the current drive letter of the USB drive,
          > >
          > > Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I
          > > should edit something in this first block of values?:
          > >
          > > [Application]
          > > MainDirectory=
          > > Version=5300
          > > UseRegistry=0
          > >
          > >> The shortcut's target line should point to the drive letter
          > >> of the USB drive, followed by /USB.
          > >>
          > >> Here is what I use for my shortcut:
          > >>
          > >> G:\NoteTab5\NotePro.exe /ini=NotePro.INI /USB
          > >
          > > Based on your advice, I tried this:
          > >
          > > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /ini=NotePro.ini /USB
          > >
          > > When I launch NoteTab from the USB flash drive using that shortcut,
          > > it is still using and writing to the NotePro.ini file in the
          > > Application Data directory of my main system drive. NoteTab Pro is
          > > installed on that main drive, but I want this second copy on the
          > > USB key so I can take it with me to use on other PCs I may work
          > > on as a guest.
          > >
          > > I want the NoteTab application on
          > > the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on that same USB flash
          > > drive, so I can take my user-defined Options
          > >
          > > It seems to me that I should be able somehow to tell the NoteTab
          > > application on the USB flash drive to use the NotePro.ini file on
          > > that same USB flash drive.
          > >
          > > Any other ideas I should try? Thanks for any help.
          > >
          > > BTW, will this still work when my USB flash drive is plugged into a
          > > computer on which the USB flash drive gets assigned a drive letter
          > > other than the "E:" that is assigned by my computer?
          >
          > I made a usb installation after following this thread. This is the path
          > used in the /usb shortcut;
          >
          > "E:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

          That's what mine looks like:
          "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

          > I discovered the main NoteTab installation must be completely shut down,
          > alternately, you can checkmark menu item 'View > Multiple Instances'.

          I have Multiple Instances checked.

          > My testing has shown if the NoteTab main is not in memory the /usb
          > install works, using it own support files.

          I have launched NoteTab by double-clicking the new Shortcut that is itself on the
          USB flash drive. It still uses and alters the NotePro.ini file on the main C drive.

          > Of course, in the clipbooks you must edit out references to clips in the
          > main install. I did not have to edit the NoteTab or NoteTab Pro ini files.

          Can you please explain? What do I need to edit?

          I really only need HTML.clb, CSS1.clb, and NotePro.ini on the USB drive, as each of
          those has my own customizations and preferences. So, I want to place those three
          files onto the USB drive and make the USB NoteTab installation use those files off
          the USB. Would it help if I deleted the other files off the USB flash drive?

          > Unfortunately, the /usb switch does not compensate for USB drive letter
          > changes, but, once the shortcut is altered to reflect the correct drive
          > letter everything seems to work as it should.

          Is there any way to write the command line so that it is relative to the location of
          the shortcut, rather than an absolute reference starting from a specific drive
          letter? e.g
          " \NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

          Or, is there some other way to run a command line to do what I want? The only way I
          knew was to create a Shortcut icon on the same USB flash drive where to which I had
          copied the NoteTab executable and files. Please tell me if there is a better way.

          I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm missing something
          that no one has mentioned because to everyone else it's obvious.

          Thanks for any help.
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
            --- Tuttle Grey <tuttle@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm
            > missing something that no one has mentioned because to everyone
            else
            > it's obvious.

            Try putting the complete command line in "" not just the command to
            run the program but also the info the program needs to run.

            fw
          • Tuttle Grey
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
              On Sun, August 12, 2007 7:41 pm, fw7oaks wrote:

              > --- Tuttle Grey <tuttle@...> wrote:
              >
              > [snip]
              >
              >> I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm
              >> missing something that no one has mentioned because to everyone
              > else
              >> it's obvious.
              >
              > Try putting the complete command line in "" not just the command to
              > run the program but also the info the program needs to run.

              Was that just a guess? Because that generates an error message:

              The name ... specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and
              filename are correct.

              It seems that those switches are not allowed between the quotation marks.
            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 12, 2007
                I'm not sure that I agree with your conclusion, that the switches are
                not allowed within the command line quotation marks.

                I note that you did not *install* NTP to the USB drive but copied the
                files from the directory over. What happened to the orginal files
                that were on the hard disk ? Is it possible that they have been
                deleted, in which case you will get the file name error ?

                fw

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, August 12, 2007 7:41 pm, fw7oaks wrote:
                > >
                > > --- Tuttle Grey <tuttle@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > [snip]
                > >
                > >> I've never used command lines before. I have the feeling that I'm
                > >> missing something that no one has mentioned because to everyone
                > > else
                > >> it's obvious.
                > >
                > > Try putting the complete command line in "" not just the command
                > > run the program but also the info the program needs to run.
                >
                > Was that just a guess? Because that generates an error message:
                >
                > The name ... specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure
                the path and
                > filename are correct.
                >

                > It seems that those switches are not allowed between the quotation
                marks.

              • ebbtidalflats
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                  Judging from the length of this and similar threads, the
                  drive letter/datapath of NoteTab is still a mess.

                  I don't knwo if this is the solution, but summarizing what
                  I have read and experienced in my own installations,
                  here is what I would try next:

                  1. creat a NoteTab path on the USB drive
                  2. create an EMPTY NotePro.INI file in this folder.
                  3. Install NoteTab INTO THIS SAME folder

                  Now create a shortcut to the executable on the USB stick,
                  using the Windows start command:

                  start X:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USB

                  where "X" is the drive letter of the USB stick.

                  This drive letter will not change on the current machine
                  (probably) but will likely be different on any other machine.

                  This is the problem the /USB switch is supposed to solve,
                  but doesn't completely.

                  I found it necessary to create the following batchfile
                  to set the same driveletter for the USB drive, wherever
                  I stick the USB stick:
                  -------->8---------------
                  @echo off
                  rem Use the /USB switch to start NoteTab on USB drive.
                  title NoteTab X USB
                  FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L) DO if exist %%I:\NTP\NotePro.ini set
                  SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
                  echo.
                  echo Sneaker Net NOT FOUND!
                  echo.
                  pause
                  goto DONE

                  :FOUND
                  echo.
                  echo.
                  IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
                  subst X: %SneakerNet%\
                  echo.
                  echo WAIT for this Window to close
                  echo.
                  rem start NTP with USB switch
                  start /WAIT X:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USB

                  :DONE
                  IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
                  -------->8---------------

                  If you're interested in what the various commands do,
                  here's an outline:

                  First find the location of the USB stick by searching for
                  the NotePro.ini file in a ?:\NTP\ folder using a FOR loop
                  (my choice for the location of NoteTab on USB).

                  Next create an alias for the actual drive, called "X:"
                  using SUBST

                  Then run NoteTab.

                  After ntp exits, remove the alias.

                  Finally, create a shortcut on each PC where I use this stick,
                  pointing it to ?:\NTP\MySneakernet.bat
                  where the "?" is replaced by the actual drive letter.

                  The main reason for this Firlefanz is the need to preserve
                  hard links in several HTML files, which NoteTab cannot control.
                  Side benefit -- you no longer have discardable favorites files,
                  as they will always point to the X: drive, not some drive on
                  a different machine.

                  Cheers

                  Eb
                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                    Hi,

                    The part that is messing up the /USB feature in your case is the
                    following line in your NotePro.ini file:

                    UseProfileFolder=1

                    Remove it or set it to UseProfileFolder=0 and NoteTab will no longer use
                    the Application Data folder when you specify the /USB switch.

                    Note that if you had installed NoteTab on the USB key without the INI
                    file, it would have worked correctly from the start with the /USB switch.

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/

                    Tuttle Grey wrote:
                    > Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
                    >
                    > On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
                    >> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
                    >>
                    >> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
                    >> drive letter of the USB drive,
                    >
                    > Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in this
                    > first block of values?:
                    >
                    > [Application]
                    > MainDirectory=
                    > Version=5300
                    > UseRegistry=0
                    > CloseToTray=0
                    > DisactivateToTray=0
                    > IconInTray=0
                    > PollForNews=0
                    > UseProfileFolder=1
                    > LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
                    > LastNews=2007/07/06
                    > LastNewsSig=1236051467
                    > LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07
                  • Tuttle Grey
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                      I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final step though.

                      You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces the USB flash
                      drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you need to place a
                      shortcut on each PC?

                      The PCs to which I insert this USB flash drive won't regularly be used by me. In
                      fact I may use a particular PC only once (borrowed at a library, cybercafe, etc.)
                      What I'm hoping to find is a solution that allows me to create an icon, shortcut,
                      file, something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed. I'll click
                      that to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch.

                      Can your solution be used to do that?

                    • Tuttle Grey
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh ini file. I had thought
                        to save time by reusing mine from my main system drive, but it's too much trouble.

                        Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that had been documented in
                        the help files, it would have saved a lot of time. :)

                        Thanks.

                        I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon, shortcut, file,
                        something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that
                        to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to have
                        to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it won't work on other
                        PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is assigned a different
                        letter.

                        Can you offer any solution to do that?

                        On Mon, August 13, 2007 5:08 pm, Eric Fookes wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > The part that is messing up the /USB feature in your case is the
                        > following line in your NotePro.ini file:
                        >
                        > UseProfileFolder=1
                        >
                        > Remove it or set it to UseProfileFolder=0 and NoteTab will no longer use
                        > the Application Data folder when you specify the /USB switch.
                        >
                        > Note that if you had installed NoteTab on the USB key without the INI
                        > file, it would have worked correctly from the start with the /USB switch.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Eric Fookes
                        > http://www.fookes.com/
                        >

                        > Tuttle Grey wrote:
                        >> Thanks for the reply. Comments and questions in-line:
                        >>
                        >> On Sat, August 11, 2007 5:38 pm, lm_hamilton wrote:
                        >>> The notetab.ini is pointing to the drive on the main PC.
                        >>>
                        >>> Either edit the notetab.ini on the USB drive to point to the current
                        >>> drive letter of the USB drive,
                        >>
                        >> Which values should I edit in that file? Do you mean I should edit something in
                        >> this
                        >> first block of values?:
                        >>
                        >> [Application]
                        >> MainDirectory=
                        >> Version=5300
                        >> UseRegistry=0
                        >> CloseToTray=0
                        >> DisactivateToTray=0
                        >> IconInTray=0
                        >> PollForNews=0
                        >> UseProfileFolder=1
                        >> LastNewsPoll=10/Aug/07
                        >> LastNews=2007/07/06
                        >> LastNewsSig=1236051467
                        >> LastNewsDate=10/Aug/07

                      • ebbtidalflats
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                          > I am interested in your solution. I'm somewhat confused by the final
                          step though.

                          > You begin by creating a file that, if I understand it, always forces
                          the USB flash
                          > drive to be assigned drive "X"? If that's the case, why would you
                          need to place a
                          > shortcut on each PC?

                          The shortcut on a desktop is ONLY for PCs that have the batchfile
                          installed on them.

                          If you don't know which PC that is going to be, you will have to place
                          the batchfile on the USB stick, and run it by finding it in the
                          Windows Explorer.

                          By the way, I routinely run into problems running software directly
                          from a USB stick, EXE file OR batchfile.

                          Cheers,

                          Eb
                        • ebbtidalflats
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tuttle Grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

                            > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an icon,
                            shortcut, file,
                            > something *on the same USB flash drive* where NoteTab is installed.
                            I'll click that
                            > to launch NoteTab on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I
                            don't want to have
                            > to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then obviously it
                            won't work on other
                            > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
                            assigned a different
                            > letter.
                            >
                            > Can you offer any solution to do that?

                            PMFJI,

                            Anything you do, that would install an icon on the PC where you plug
                            in your USB stick will have to involve executing a program.

                            You might as well run the btachfile directly, using an autorun.inf
                            file, that runs your batchfile or even NoteTab directly.

                            But autorun may be deactivated (as it is on any of my PCs), or may
                            even result in the entire drive being quarrantined because the
                            anti-virus software could interpret such an execution as an attack.

                            If you're not familiar with autorun, just look at your typical
                            installation CD, to see how they structure it.

                            Cheers,

                            Eb
                          • hsavage
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 14, 2007
                              Tuttle Grey wrote:
                              > Yes, I've discovered that it's better to start with a fresh
                              > ini file. I had thought to save time by reusing mine from my
                              > main system drive, but it's too much trouble.
                              >
                              > Thanks for the information about UseProfileFolder. If that
                              > had been documented in the help files, it would have saved
                              > a lot of time. :)
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > I'm hoping to find a solution that allows me to create an
                              > icon, shortcut, file, something *on the same USB flash drive*
                              > where NoteTab is installed. I'll click that to launch NoteTab
                              > on the USB drive along with the /USB switch. I don't want to
                              > have to "hard code" a drive letter in that, because then
                              > obviously it won't work on other
                              > PCs unless I edit the drive letter each time the USB drive is
                              > assigned a different letter.
                              >
                              > Can you offer any solution to do that?

                              Tuttle,

                              The easiest and most trouble-free method I've found is, install NoteTab
                              on the USB and create a batchfile in the root folder of the USB. I have
                              a 2 line batchfile finds and starts NoteTab initially. You should set
                              the USB install to;

                              'View > Options > View > Icon in System Tray' and
                              'View > Options > View > Close to System Tray'.

                              This way, on subsequent starts there will be an icon in the System Tray
                              to start NoteTab.
                              ------ 2 line batchfile --------
                              @Echo OFF
                              For %%d in (d e f g h i j k l m o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist
                              "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" "%%d:\Fookes\Note Tab\NotePro.exe" /usb

                              Place this batchfile in the root folder of usb, edit the path examples
                              to match yours, save file and double-click it to start first time. It
                              will leave an open dos box/window the first time, close it and use the
                              systray icon to restart NoteTab if needed.

                              ºvº SL-8--1700 -created- 2007.08.14 - 11.33.25

                              Classic Clothing:
                              "Wearing Outfits You Already Have."