Re: [NTB] Undo in outline files using NoteTab Pro

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      derekcornishuk wrote:

      > I am evaluating NoteTab Pro, and have a question about working with
      > outline files.
      >
      > Am I right in thinking that the undo feature only works within
      > specific sections of an outline file? I rashly cut a paragraph from
      > one section's content editor page and then forgot to paste it
      > immediately in another. Later I cut some text when working in another
      > program, and this, of course wrote over the Windows clipboard. When I
      > went back to the original outline section from which the first
      > clipping had been taken and tried to undo the text I had previously
      > cut from it, the undo button was greyed out.
      >
      > I assume from this that, like bookmarks, "undos" do not persist once
      > one has moved out of the outline section in question and into another.
      > Is this right?
      >
      > I had been using another NoteTab file as a Paste Board to avoid these
      > little disasters, but somehow this stopped working. I think this may
      > have been caused by using another program's (Zoot) web-clipping
      > feature. This also uses the Windows clipboard.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Derek

      I did a bit of experimenting, and here, with a Paste Board file in
      NTBPro and my Clipboard manager (Yankee Clipper X) running concurrently,
      there were no problems. I.e., NTB Paste Board and Yankee Clipper both
      picked up cuts I made in several outlines.
      I could indeed not go from one outline to another and return and undo
      straight away (AFAIK one can *never* do that), but both NTB Paste Board
      and Yankee Clipper had retained the cuts I had made, so I could easily
      restore them.

      My guess is that Undo was greyed out because the Autosave feature in NTB
      was on, and the modified file was saved as it was after the cuts.

      Gerard

      --
      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

        > I did a bit of experimenting, and here, with a Paste Board file in
        > NTBPro and my Clipboard manager (Yankee Clipper X) running
        concurrently,
        > there were no problems. I.e., NTB Paste Board and Yankee Clipper both
        > picked up cuts I made in several outlines.
        > I could indeed not go from one outline to another and return and undo
        > straight away (AFAIK one can *never* do that), but both NTB Paste Board
        > and Yankee Clipper had retained the cuts I had made, so I could easily
        > restore them.
        >
        > My guess is that Undo was greyed out because the Autosave feature in
        NTB
        > was on, and the modified file was saved as it was after the cuts.
        >

        > Gerard
        >

        > --
        > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        > 2312 ZD Leiden
        > Netherlands
        > inboxgen@...

        Hello, Gerald,

        Thank you for checking on this. Something definitely caused Paste
        Board to stop working on my system, but I'm now using Clipcache
        (another clipboard extender) instead until I have finished my current
        project. I hope it gets on with Zoot :-). Later, I'll do some more
        experimenting with Zoot and NoteTab together. One thing I noticed was
        that the problem did not occur immediately I began using Zoot, but
        only after working for quite a while. So maybe it was something else...

        As for the undo issue, I only autosave every 10 minutes; and I tried
        to undo the "cut" well before that kicked in, I think. And in any case
        I have "Undo After Save" checked. Maybe my inability to "undo" after
        moving away and then back to an outline section is one of the costs of
        using an outline file rather than just one simple text one.

        Derek
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
          On Thursday 02 August 2007 15:02, derekcornishuk wrote:
          > Maybe my inability to "undo" after
          > moving away and then back to an outline section is one of the costs of
          > using an outline file rather than just one simple text one.

          Yes, Derek.
          My post was just to let you know that it is not impossible to use NTB,
          including PasteBoard feature and Outlines, and a separate Clipboard manager.
          It would be a pity if it was really impossible to use all these nice
          possibilities all at once.

          Cheers,
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
            On Thursday, August 02, 2007 2:22 PM, Gerard Huijing wrote
            > My post was just to let you know that it is not impossible to
            > use NTB, including PasteBoard feature and Outlines, and a
            > separate Clipboard manager.
            > It would be a pity if it was really impossible to use all
            > these nice possibilities all at once.

            Thank you very much, Gerald. That was indeed reassuring to know. I'll be
            registering NTB, especially knowing there are such helpful mailing-list
            members :-).

            All the best,
            Derek

            rns.groups.yahoo.com >
            > On Thursday 02 August 2007 15:02, derekcornishuk wrote:
            > > Maybe my inability to "undo" after
            > > moving away and then back to an outline section is one of
            > the costs of
            > > using an outline file rather than just one simple text one.
            >
            > Yes, Derek.
            > My post was just to let you know that it is not impossible to
            > use NTB, including PasteBoard feature and Outlines, and a
            > separate Clipboard manager.
            > It would be a pity if it was really impossible to use all
            > these nice possibilities all at once.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Gerard
            >
            > --
            > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            > 2312 ZD Leiden
            > Netherlands
            > inboxgen@...

            > The NoteTab Off Topic List:
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              Derek,

              There are several things you can do with NTP to enhance the ability to
              undo stuff.

              1. In configuration (View menu --> options --> files tab) there is an
              option to undo after save. Sorry, I don't know how far back this will
              let you uindo, if you only use a .bak extension.

              2. In backups, you can create backup files with incremental numbers.
              On the one hand this creates a lot of files, but on the other, if you
              accedentally delete important data, you can open up these multiple
              backup files and retrieve the lost data.

              As to the pasteboard stopping to work, I have experienced problems
              with the pateboard in combination with unicode files, because I have
              the "protect unicode files" option checked. I think unchecking
              read-only in the document menu _temoporarily_ lets you continue
              capturing to the pasteboard (until you reload the pasteboard file).

              Eb

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

                > Derek,
                >
                > There are several things you can do with NTP to enhance the ability to
                > undo stuff.
                >
                > 1. In configuration (View menu --> options --> files tab) there is an
                > option to undo after save. Sorry, I don't know how far back this will
                > let you uindo, if you only use a .bak extension.
                >
                > 2. In backups, you can create backup files with incremental numbers.
                > On the one hand this creates a lot of files, but on the other, if you
                > accedentally delete important data, you can open up these multiple
                > backup files and retrieve the lost data.
                >
                > As to the pasteboard stopping to work, I have experienced problems
                > with the pateboard in combination with unicode files, because I have
                > the "protect unicode files" option checked. I think unchecking
                > read-only in the document menu _temoporarily_ lets you continue
                > capturing to the pasteboard (until you reload the pasteboard file).

                Thanks very much, Eb. I already had the "undo after save" option
                checked, but I missed the option to do incremental saves. That will be
                very useful. I use FileHamster, too, so I hope I will be better
                protected next time.

                I'll try your solution to the Paste Board problem, too. In fact, I'm
                not sure that I use unicode files much if ever, so I might be able to
                leave the option you mention unchecked routinely.

                Derek