Re: [NTB] NoteTab working under Wine!

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
      --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

      > NTFS-3G is very nice and all, BUT keep in mind that NTFS is not fully
      > documented by Microsoft. So, NTFS-3G and similar drivers were
      > developed
      > by reverse-engineering the inner workings of NTFS. So, full
      > compatibility can't be assured. There is always a (hopefully very
      > small)
      > risk of disk corruption when writing to an NTFS partition. It's fine
      > for
      > occasional use, but I wouldn't do it in a regular basis, like keeping
      >
      > my documents folder in the NTFS partition. If you really need to
      > have
      > easy write-access all the time from both Windows and Linux, it's
      > safer
      > to keep a FAT32 partition.
      >
      > As a precaution, NTFS-3G won't mount a partition flagged as "dirty;"
      > you
      > probably will have to dual-boot into Windows in order to run CHKDSK,
      > boot in Windows a SECOND TIME to clear the "dirty" flag and then boot
      > back into Linux to mount the partition. This stumped me a bit when I
      > was trying to make NTFS-3G run in a just-installed Linux -- the Linux
      > repartitioning tools can shrink a NTFS partition in order to make
      > room
      > for Linux, BUT they will set the "dirty" flag. So, you have to boot a
      > couple times in Windows after installing Linux before NTFS-3G will
      > work
      > normally.
      >
      > Marcelo

      Thanks for the warning. I have not tried to write to XP yet. I'll keep
      plenty of disk images around to save the day! The reason I want to use
      NTFS is because many of my video files are over the FAT32 size limit.

      Ubuntu complained when it tried to mount my partitioned backup drive
      but eventually Windows ran ckdisk on both partitions and now all is well.

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
        OK. Here's an update. Once I really got serious about updating some
        files, I discovered that drag and drop doesn't work under Wine! That
        alone is a deal breaker. Drats!

        As to the NTFS stuff . . . I have copied some text and pdf files to XP
        without a problem. Just hoping the wheels continue to stay attached.

        Sister

        that gives answers, not web links.
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

          > After months of talking a lot about it, my Linux project finally got
          > completed!!! I now have a new 250GB hard drive (partitioned and dual
          > booting Ubuntu with XP) and an internal serial modem (the USR 5610c)
          > that worked right out of the box.
          >
          > Though I haven't really done a lot of coding since installing, I'd like
          > to report that NoteTab Light and Tidy seem to function pretty well
          > under Wine. Keeping fingers crossed . . .

          Great to hear! I am using NoteTab Pro 5.0 on Ubuntu 7.04. I was
          wondering if you had run into the same problems I had (and if you did,
          were you abel to correct them?):

          * When the cursor scrolls to the top or bottom of the screen, it jumps
          back 2 lines.
          * Using "Save As..." Takes a l----o---n---g time.
          * When pasting into a document, punctuation is changed to unicode.
          * (can't remember any other right now.)

          Otherwise, it works fine, for the most part. If I could just take care
          of these minor things.

          Lee
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2007
            * I can't drag and drop! That's a deal breaker.

            * The libraries can only be switched with a nudge from F4.

            It looks like Quanta + will provide a workable substitute for the basic
            web design work that I do. (Or I can just boot into XP and get stuff
            done there the old fashioned way. I'm not doing much coding at all
            these days.)