NoteTab working under Wine!

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2007
      After months of talking a lot about it, my Linux project finally got
      completed!!! I now have a new 250GB hard drive (partitioned and dual
      booting Ubuntu with XP) and an internal serial modem (the USR 5610c)
      that worked right out of the box.

      Got the desktop theme customized etc. and everything looks great! I
      can also mount (and write to) the XP partition and the partitions on
      the secondary drives.

      Though I haven't really done a lot of coding since installing, I'd like
      to report that NoteTab Light and Tidy seem to function pretty well
      under Wine. Keeping fingers crossed . . .

      There are still a few kinks to work out - there always are with Linux -
      but that's part of the fun of learning new things (like CLI). The best
      part is that someday soon I can hopefully pull the plug on Redmond for
      good.

      I'm sooo happy!!!!

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
        sisterscape wrote:

        > After months of talking a lot about it, my Linux project finally got
        > completed!!! I now have a new 250GB hard drive (partitioned and dual
        > booting Ubuntu with XP) and an internal serial modem (the USR 5610c)
        > that worked right out of the box.
        >
        > Got the desktop theme customized etc. and everything looks great! I
        > can also mount (and write to) the XP partition and the partitions on
        > the secondary drives.
        >
        > Though I haven't really done a lot of coding since installing, I'd like
        > to report that NoteTab Light and Tidy seem to function pretty well
        > under Wine. Keeping fingers crossed . . .
        >
        > There are still a few kinks to work out - there always are with Linux -
        > but that's part of the fun of learning new things (like CLI). The best
        > part is that someday soon I can hopefully pull the plug on Redmond for
        > good.
        >
        > I'm sooo happy!!!!

        Congratulations!

        I noticed you set Ubuntu Linux to write to NTFS. That is not a wise
        thing to do (or is it now "was" for some distributions?).

        NTB has indeed always worked for me too with wine.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
          --- Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

          > I noticed you set Ubuntu Linux to write to NTFS. That is not a wise
          > thing to do (or is it now "was" for some distributions?).

          Yes, it is possible to so now! That's one reason I decided to finally
          move forward with Linux as my primary OS (after many years of
          dabbling).

          From the Wikipedia:

          "NTFS-3G is an open source, freely available NTFS driver for Linux, Mac
          OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, BeOS and Haiku. It is licensed under the GNU
          General Public License.

          The first stable version of NTFS-3G was released on February 21, 2007
          as version 1.0.

          Unlike the NTFS driver included in the Linux kernel, its support for
          writing files has very few limitations: files of any size can be
          created, modified, renamed, moved, or deleted on NTFS partitions, with
          the exception of compressed and encrypted files. NTFS-3G cannot yet
          modify access control lists and permissions. NTFS partitions are
          mounted using the FUSE user space file system framework."

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_3G

        • Gerard Huijing
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
            sisterscape wrote:

            > Yes, it is possible to so now! That's one reason I decided to finally
            > move forward with Linux as my primary OS (after many years of
            > dabbling).
            >
            > From the Wikipedia:
            >
            > "NTFS-3G is an open source, freely available NTFS driver for Linux, Mac
            > OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, BeOS and Haiku. It is licensed under the GNU
            > General Public License.
            >
            > The first stable version of NTFS-3G was released on February 21, 2007
            > as version 1.0.
            >
            > Unlike the NTFS driver included in the Linux kernel, its support for
            > writing files has very few limitations: files of any size can be
            > created, modified, renamed, moved, or deleted on NTFS partitions, with
            > the exception of compressed and encrypted files. NTFS-3G cannot yet
            > modify access control lists and permissions. NTFS partitions are
            > mounted using the FUSE user space file system framework."
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_3G <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_3G>

            Thank you for the info + link. I knew about the existence of that
            driver, but I thought it was still in a very early stage of development.

            Gerard

            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
              On the last exciting episode, aired on 29/7/2007 11:36, sisterscape
              invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
              > --- Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I noticed you set Ubuntu Linux to write to NTFS. That is not a wise
              >> thing to do (or is it now "was" for some distributions?).
              >>

              > Yes, it is possible to so now! That's one reason I decided to finally
              > move forward with Linux as my primary OS (after many years of
              > dabbling).

              NTFS-3G is very nice and all, BUT keep in mind that NTFS is not fully
              documented by Microsoft. So, NTFS-3G and similar drivers were developed
              by reverse-engineering the inner workings of NTFS. So, full
              compatibility can't be assured. There is always a (hopefully very small)
              risk of disk corruption when writing to an NTFS partition. It's fine for
              occasional use, but I wouldn't do it in a regular basis, like keeping
              my documents folder in the NTFS partition. If you really need to have
              easy write-access all the time from both Windows and Linux, it's safer
              to keep a FAT32 partition.

              As a precaution, NTFS-3G won't mount a partition flagged as "dirty;" you
              probably will have to dual-boot into Windows in order to run CHKDSK,
              boot in Windows a SECOND TIME to clear the "dirty" flag and then boot
              back into Linux to mount the partition. This stumped me a bit when I
              was trying to make NTFS-3G run in a just-installed Linux -- the Linux
              repartitioning tools can shrink a NTFS partition in order to make room
              for Linux, BUT they will set the "dirty" flag. So, you have to boot a
              couple times in Windows after installing Linux before NTFS-3G will work
              normally.

              Marcelo
              -=-=-
              ------ if you cut here, you'll probably destroy your monitor -------
              * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.2
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2007
                --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

                > NTFS-3G is very nice and all, BUT keep in mind that NTFS is not fully
                > documented by Microsoft. So, NTFS-3G and similar drivers were
                > developed
                > by reverse-engineering the inner workings of NTFS. So, full
                > compatibility can't be assured. There is always a (hopefully very
                > small)
                > risk of disk corruption when writing to an NTFS partition. It's fine
                > for
                > occasional use, but I wouldn't do it in a regular basis, like keeping
                >
                > my documents folder in the NTFS partition. If you really need to
                > have
                > easy write-access all the time from both Windows and Linux, it's
                > safer
                > to keep a FAT32 partition.
                >
                > As a precaution, NTFS-3G won't mount a partition flagged as "dirty;"
                > you
                > probably will have to dual-boot into Windows in order to run CHKDSK,
                > boot in Windows a SECOND TIME to clear the "dirty" flag and then boot
                > back into Linux to mount the partition. This stumped me a bit when I
                > was trying to make NTFS-3G run in a just-installed Linux -- the Linux
                > repartitioning tools can shrink a NTFS partition in order to make
                > room
                > for Linux, BUT they will set the "dirty" flag. So, you have to boot a
                > couple times in Windows after installing Linux before NTFS-3G will
                > work
                > normally.
                >
                > Marcelo

                Thanks for the warning. I have not tried to write to XP yet. I'll keep
                plenty of disk images around to save the day! The reason I want to use
                NTFS is because many of my video files are over the FAT32 size limit.

                Ubuntu complained when it tried to mount my partitioned backup drive
                but eventually Windows ran ckdisk on both partitions and now all is well.

              • sisterscape
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
                  OK. Here's an update. Once I really got serious about updating some
                  files, I discovered that drag and drop doesn't work under Wine! That
                  alone is a deal breaker. Drats!

                  As to the NTFS stuff . . . I have copied some text and pdf files to XP
                  without a problem. Just hoping the wheels continue to stay attached.

                  Sister

                  that gives answers, not web links.
                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                    > After months of talking a lot about it, my Linux project finally got
                    > completed!!! I now have a new 250GB hard drive (partitioned and dual
                    > booting Ubuntu with XP) and an internal serial modem (the USR 5610c)
                    > that worked right out of the box.
                    >
                    > Though I haven't really done a lot of coding since installing, I'd like
                    > to report that NoteTab Light and Tidy seem to function pretty well
                    > under Wine. Keeping fingers crossed . . .

                    Great to hear! I am using NoteTab Pro 5.0 on Ubuntu 7.04. I was
                    wondering if you had run into the same problems I had (and if you did,
                    were you abel to correct them?):

                    * When the cursor scrolls to the top or bottom of the screen, it jumps
                    back 2 lines.
                    * Using "Save As..." Takes a l----o---n---g time.
                    * When pasting into a document, punctuation is changed to unicode.
                    * (can't remember any other right now.)

                    Otherwise, it works fine, for the most part. If I could just take care
                    of these minor things.

                    Lee
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 15, 2007
                      * I can't drag and drop! That's a deal breaker.

                      * The libraries can only be switched with a nudge from F4.

                      It looks like Quanta + will provide a workable substitute for the basic
                      web design work that I do. (Or I can just boot into XP and get stuff
                      done there the old fashioned way. I'm not doing much coding at all
                      these days.)