Re: [NTB] Added /usb command-line switch. Use it when you want to run NoteTab from a USB k

  • Jono
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 25 11:43 AM
      Hi Eric,

      I have installed NoteTab Pro 5.3 on my USB thumb drive. I created
      the following batch file to launch NoteTab:

      @echo off
      NotePro.exe /usb
      Exit

      When I launch the app with this batch file, it still creates a folder
      called in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data that
      includes these folders and files:

      /Favorites/
      /Libraries/
      /Spelling/
      /Templates/
      /NotePro.ini
      /NotePro.fpr
      /cntp5.nws

      I copied the NotePro.ini to the installation directory on the thumb
      drive, but it still uses the one on the C: drive.

      I would like to make sure that everything stays on the thumb drive
      with nothing being copied or created to the C: drive of the host
      computer. Is that possible? Please explain how I can do this. I
      have read through this thread and I am not at all clear on how to do
      this. Just copying the NotePro.ini doesn't work.

      Another thing I tried was to use the /user instead of the /usb as
      someone suggested. That didn't seem to make any difference either.

      Thanks for your help.

      Jono

      > Hi Jono,
      >
      > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
      > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
      (same
      > folder as NotePro.exe).
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Eric Fookes
      > http://www.fookes.com/
      >
      > Jono wrote:
      > > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a
      directory
      > > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
      > > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and
      the
      > > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
      > >
      > > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive
      ok,
      > > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from
      the
      > > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
      > >
      > > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
      > > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on
      the
      > > host computer?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Jono Martin
      > >

      > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
      > >> Hi LadyCK3,
      > >>
      > >> Here's an extract from the Help file:
      > >>
      > >> If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
      > > it,
      > >> file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may
      have
      > >> incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
      > > launching
      > >> NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
      > > This
      > >> will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if
      it
      > >> doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
      > > causes
      > >> NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
      > >>
      > >> NotePro.exe /usb

      > > is
      > > special
      > > regex
      > > syndrome)

      > >> --
      > >> Regards,
      > >>
      > >> Eric Fookes
      > >> http://www.fookes.com/

    • Jono
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 25 12:25 PM
        Eric - Please disregard my last post. I was copying a previous
        NotePro.ini file to the USB drive which somehow told the app to
        create the folder structure on the C: drive. After deleting the file
        and allowing the new NotePro.ini file to stay in place, and then just
        resetting the settings, it works great. I haven't seen any problems
        at all.

        Thanks for a great app!

        Jono