Re: Bug Report

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10 4:48 AM
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Ugly Person" <ugly@...> wrote:
      > Why do a goofy little thing like that? I tried installing some
      Microsoft thing they calle the .net framework. I could't install
      version 3 because it requires Windoze XP.

      GROAN, you're not a Mac/Linux Nazi, are you?
      Is that why are you using Windows?

      > Oh yeah, I have also found unfortunately that NoteTab is still
      setting some of my files on "read only" status behind my back. That's
      still an issue.

      If you're not concerned with Unicode, try clearing the NoteTab option
      "Protect unicode files".
      That solved this problem for me.

      Not sure what happens to "unprotected unicode" files. Perhaps they get
      converted to Ansi.

      Eb
    • ms79065
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
        Hello.

        I recently submitted a bug report, and frankly, was not
        satisfied with the answer given. (file types you make
        no difference at all in my thinking).

        I rely on the Search Disk feature quite heavily, and only
        after upgrading to the latest version
        did I start having problems.

        Is there a planned fix for this?

        Many thanks for reading.

        --
        Later on,
        Mike

        www.zenosys.com

        >Hi
        >
        >The Search Disk feature is really intended for use on Windows files, or
        >at least files that contain the Windows line-break format. I suggest you
        >open your files in NoteTab and then use the regular Replace feature
        >which should produce the required results.
        >
        >--
        >Regards,
        >
        >Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
        >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/
        >

        >Michael Sanders wrote:
        >> Extra details: windows=WinXP; error=none
        >>
        >> When using 'Search Disk' and finding and replacing text (at least on Unix files),
        >> garage text is left at the end of the file. Almost as if the string is not being
        >> cleared on each iteration.
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ms79065" <mike@...> wrote:

          > Hello.
          >
          > I recently submitted a bug report, and frankly, was not satisfied
          > with the answer given. (file types you make no difference at all
          > in my thinking).
          >
          > I rely on the Search Disk feature quite heavily, and only after
          > upgrading to the latest version did I start having problems.
          >
          > Is there a planned fix for this?
          >
          > Many thanks for reading.
          >
          > --
          > Later on,
          > Mike
          >
          > www.zenosys.com
          >

          > >Hi
          > >
          > >The Search Disk feature is really intended for use on Windows
          > >files, or at least files that contain the Windows line-break
          > >format. I suggest you open your files in NoteTab and then use the
          > >regular Replace feature which should produce the required
          > >results.
          > >
          > >--
          > >Regards,
          > >
          > >Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
          > >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/
          > >

          > >Michael Sanders wrote:
          > >> Extra details: windows=WinXP; error=none
          > >>
          > >> When using 'Search Disk' and finding and replacing text (at least
          > >> on Unix files), garage text is left at the end of the file.
          > >> Almost as if the string is not being cleared on each iteration.

          You haven't given enough details to help you much. But in my experience Unix files work fine as long as they don't have unicode in them. The token ^P, if used, means windows line break in the S/R text boxes. ^C means mac style and ^L means Unix style. Those codes are even documented on the Search Disk page in the help file, so the response you got was incorrect.

          From help:

          > Unlike documents open in NoteTab, which always have the Windows
          > line-break format (CRLF), files on disk may have other formats
          > like UNIX or Mac line breaks. As a result, the ^P token will only
          > work on files that have the Windows line-break format. If you
          > seach UNIX/Linux files, use the ^L token instead, and use the ^C
          > token for Mac files.
          >
          > Important: The above tokens are not valid when you perform
          > regular expression searches. If you want to match any line-break
          > format, use the \R regular expression token.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Michael S. Sanders
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
            > You haven't given enough details to help you much.
            > But in my experience Unix files work fine as long
            > as they don't have unicode in them. The token ^P,
            > if used, means windows line break in the S/R text boxes.
            > ^C means mac style and ^L means Unix style. Those codes
            > are even documented on the Search Disk page in the help file,
            > so the response you got was incorrect.

            Hi Sheri, nice to meet you. Yes the response was umm...
            not so well thought out (we've all done that before so
            I understand), but back to the matter at hand. Also,
            previous versions do not display this anomaly.

            Use I understand ^P/C/L. The particularly vexing thing is
            I applied these changes to 40+ files, which took quite
            awhile to straighten back out. No regex used either btw...

            This I'm sure, Eric will fix, its an internal issue, it seems.

            --
            Later on,
            Mike
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Michael S. Sanders <mike@...> wrote:

              > > You haven't given enough details to help you much.
              > > But in my experience Unix files work fine as long
              > > as they don't have unicode in them. The token ^P,
              > > if used, means windows line break in the S/R text boxes.
              > > ^C means mac style and ^L means Unix style. Those codes
              > > are even documented on the Search Disk page in the help file,
              > > so the response you got was incorrect.
              >
              > Hi Sheri, nice to meet you. Yes the response was umm...
              > not so well thought out (we've all done that before so
              > I understand), but back to the matter at hand. Also,
              > previous versions do not display this anomaly.
              >
              > Use I understand ^P/C/L. The particularly vexing thing is
              > I applied these changes to 40+ files, which took quite
              > awhile to straighten back out. No regex used either btw...

              Yes, well when making mass changes like that, backups are essential because it is so easy to make a mistake in the S/R to be done. 20/20 hindsight :D

              > This I'm sure, Eric will fix, its an internal issue, it seems.

              That can only happen when there is a problem that can be replicated. Perhaps you could post a sample file in the Yahoo group files with instructions on exactly how the problem can be replicated.

              Regards,
              Sheri