Bug Report

  • Ugly Person
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
      Here's a fancy little error I just received:

      Access violation at address 00409F67 in module 'NotePro.exe'. Read of address 00000000

      So what did I do? I tried to save a text file with the first character in the file name as a period.

      Why do a goofy little thing like that? I tried installing some Microsoft thing they calle the .net framework. I could't install version 3 because it requires Windoze XP.

      So the memo I wrote to myself started with

      .net

      Apparently the current NoteTab doesn't like that.

      Oh yeah, I have also found unfortunately that NoteTab is still setting some of my files on "read only" status behind my back. That's still an issue.

      And what do I do? Send these bug reports or stop complaining? Anyhow I just thought I'd say something.

      -Sean

    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
        Hi Seann

        > Here's a fancy little error I just received:
        >
        > Access violation at address 00409F67 in module 'NotePro.exe'. Read of address 00000000
        >
        > So what did I do? I tried to save a text file with the first character in the file name as a period.
        >
        > Why do a goofy little thing like that? I tried installing some Microsoft thing they calle the .net framework. I could't install version 3 because it requires Windoze XP.
        >
        > So the memo I wrote to myself started with
        >
        > .net

        The best place to send bug reports is through the Support page:
        http://www.notetab.com/support.php

        Which version of NoteTab Pro are you using? I tried saving a new file
        called ".net" in NoteTab Pro 5.3 and had no error. It worked fine.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Ugly Person" <ugly@...> wrote:
          > Why do a goofy little thing like that? I tried installing some
          Microsoft thing they calle the .net framework. I could't install
          version 3 because it requires Windoze XP.

          GROAN, you're not a Mac/Linux Nazi, are you?
          Is that why are you using Windows?

          > Oh yeah, I have also found unfortunately that NoteTab is still
          setting some of my files on "read only" status behind my back. That's
          still an issue.

          If you're not concerned with Unicode, try clearing the NoteTab option
          "Protect unicode files".
          That solved this problem for me.

          Not sure what happens to "unprotected unicode" files. Perhaps they get
          converted to Ansi.

          Eb
        • ms79065
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
            Hello.

            I recently submitted a bug report, and frankly, was not
            satisfied with the answer given. (file types you make
            no difference at all in my thinking).

            I rely on the Search Disk feature quite heavily, and only
            after upgrading to the latest version
            did I start having problems.

            Is there a planned fix for this?

            Many thanks for reading.

            --
            Later on,
            Mike

            www.zenosys.com

            >Hi
            >
            >The Search Disk feature is really intended for use on Windows files, or
            >at least files that contain the Windows line-break format. I suggest you
            >open your files in NoteTab and then use the regular Replace feature
            >which should produce the required results.
            >
            >--
            >Regards,
            >
            >Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
            >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/
            >

            >Michael Sanders wrote:
            >> Extra details: windows=WinXP; error=none
            >>
            >> When using 'Search Disk' and finding and replacing text (at least on Unix files),
            >> garage text is left at the end of the file. Almost as if the string is not being
            >> cleared on each iteration.
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ms79065" <mike@...> wrote:

              > Hello.
              >
              > I recently submitted a bug report, and frankly, was not satisfied
              > with the answer given. (file types you make no difference at all
              > in my thinking).
              >
              > I rely on the Search Disk feature quite heavily, and only after
              > upgrading to the latest version did I start having problems.
              >
              > Is there a planned fix for this?
              >
              > Many thanks for reading.
              >
              > --
              > Later on,
              > Mike
              >
              > www.zenosys.com
              >

              > >Hi
              > >
              > >The Search Disk feature is really intended for use on Windows
              > >files, or at least files that contain the Windows line-break
              > >format. I suggest you open your files in NoteTab and then use the
              > >regular Replace feature which should produce the required
              > >results.
              > >
              > >--
              > >Regards,
              > >
              > >Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
              > >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/
              > >

              > >Michael Sanders wrote:
              > >> Extra details: windows=WinXP; error=none
              > >>
              > >> When using 'Search Disk' and finding and replacing text (at least
              > >> on Unix files), garage text is left at the end of the file.
              > >> Almost as if the string is not being cleared on each iteration.

              You haven't given enough details to help you much. But in my experience Unix files work fine as long as they don't have unicode in them. The token ^P, if used, means windows line break in the S/R text boxes. ^C means mac style and ^L means Unix style. Those codes are even documented on the Search Disk page in the help file, so the response you got was incorrect.

              From help:

              > Unlike documents open in NoteTab, which always have the Windows
              > line-break format (CRLF), files on disk may have other formats
              > like UNIX or Mac line breaks. As a result, the ^P token will only
              > work on files that have the Windows line-break format. If you
              > seach UNIX/Linux files, use the ^L token instead, and use the ^C
              > token for Mac files.
              >
              > Important: The above tokens are not valid when you perform
              > regular expression searches. If you want to match any line-break
              > format, use the \R regular expression token.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Michael S. Sanders
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
                > You haven't given enough details to help you much.
                > But in my experience Unix files work fine as long
                > as they don't have unicode in them. The token ^P,
                > if used, means windows line break in the S/R text boxes.
                > ^C means mac style and ^L means Unix style. Those codes
                > are even documented on the Search Disk page in the help file,
                > so the response you got was incorrect.

                Hi Sheri, nice to meet you. Yes the response was umm...
                not so well thought out (we've all done that before so
                I understand), but back to the matter at hand. Also,
                previous versions do not display this anomaly.

                Use I understand ^P/C/L. The particularly vexing thing is
                I applied these changes to 40+ files, which took quite
                awhile to straighten back out. No regex used either btw...

                This I'm sure, Eric will fix, its an internal issue, it seems.

                --
                Later on,
                Mike
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Michael S. Sanders <mike@...> wrote:

                  > > You haven't given enough details to help you much.
                  > > But in my experience Unix files work fine as long
                  > > as they don't have unicode in them. The token ^P,
                  > > if used, means windows line break in the S/R text boxes.
                  > > ^C means mac style and ^L means Unix style. Those codes
                  > > are even documented on the Search Disk page in the help file,
                  > > so the response you got was incorrect.
                  >
                  > Hi Sheri, nice to meet you. Yes the response was umm...
                  > not so well thought out (we've all done that before so
                  > I understand), but back to the matter at hand. Also,
                  > previous versions do not display this anomaly.
                  >
                  > Use I understand ^P/C/L. The particularly vexing thing is
                  > I applied these changes to 40+ files, which took quite
                  > awhile to straighten back out. No regex used either btw...

                  Yes, well when making mass changes like that, backups are essential because it is so easy to make a mistake in the S/R to be done. 20/20 hindsight :D

                  > This I'm sure, Eric will fix, its an internal issue, it seems.

                  That can only happen when there is a problem that can be replicated. Perhaps you could post a sample file in the Yahoo group files with instructions on exactly how the problem can be replicated.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri