[NTB] Hyperlinks

  • Wren McMains
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 1998
      How do you specify a search instead of a link to a
      header when referencing a .otl file from another file?

      I'm a little confused because the hyperlinks don't
      seem to work consistently inside vs. across files.

      Assume you have afile.olt which contains 8 hyperlinks
      and looks as follows:

      ---Snip to afile.otl---
      = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

      H="String 1"
      Text
      Link 1 [afile.otl::String 2]
      Text
      Link 2 [afile.otl::String 2]
      Text
      Link 3 [afile.otl::String 3]
      Text

      H="String 2"
      Text
      Link 4 [afile.otl::String 3^b]
      Link 5 [afile.otl::String 3]
      Link 6 [afile.otl::String 4^t]
      Link 7 [afile.otl::String 4]
      Text
      Link 8 [afile.otl::String 1^b]
      Link 9 [afile.otl::String 1]
      Link 10 [String 1]
      Text with String 4
      ---End of Snip---

      If you are inside afile.otl
      Clicking on the first [ ] takes you to the second.
      Clicking on the third [ ] takes you to the fourth.
      Clicking on the fourth [ ] takes you to the third.
      Clicking on the 2nd, and 5th and 8th take you nowhere.
      Clicking on the 9th takes you to the 10th.
      Only the 10th takes you to a HEADING.
      Clicking on the 6th takes you to the 7th.
      Clicking on the 7th takes you to the "Text with String 4"
      line (At first I expected it to take me nowhere -- I
      had though searchs were only inside [ ]'s unless you
      specfied ^t, now I understand that the ^t means a sub-string
      and without the ^t you much match complete words.) I seem
      to remember some discussion of capitol letters vs. lower case.
      Is there any difference between ^B/^b, ^T/^t and ^I/^i or
      any other special characters which go here?

      If you put these links in another file the first 2
      take you to HEADING 2, the 8th and 9th take you to
      HEADING 1. The rest go nowhere.

      Can any body help me out? Is there any way to jump
      to text other than a HEADER in another .otl file?

      Also, when you are inside a file a search seems to
      always be relative to where you are. Is there a way to
      make it start at the top? or bottom for a reverse search?
      (I assume it always starts at the top or bottom if you
      reference from outside the file (even if the referenced
      file is open?) is this true?)

      Thanks, Wren

    • Jody Adair
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 1998
        Hi Wren

        >Can any body help me out? Is there any way to jump
        >to text other than a HEADER in another .otl file?

        Go to [ this text in this outline. ]

        From ReadMe.otl under hyperlinks:

        * If you want to apply the search criteria type of hyperlink
        on the active document, just omit the file name. For example,
        [::NoteTab] will find the next occurrence of the name NoteTab.
        Since the double colon does not necessarily look very nice in
        this case, the following format with a blank space on each side
        of the search criteria is also valid: [ NoteTab ]....And [readme.txt::NoteTab^B] will find the last occurrence of the
        word "NoteTab" in the Readme.txt file.

        >Also, when you are inside a file a search seems to
        >always be relative to where you are. Is there a way to
        >make it start at the top? or bottom for a reverse search?

        Not that I know of. [ tab::5^L] That didn't work for me.

      • Kay Roath
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 1998
          02.09.1998 2:13 PM Wren McMains wrote

          > How do you specify a search instead of a link to a
          > header when referencing a .otl file from another file?
          It always looks for a header when you include the name
          of an otl file. If you have a hyperlink inside the otl,
          [findit] will look for a header & [ findit] or [::findit]
          will look for text.

          > Is there any difference between ^B/^b, ^T/^t and ^I/^i or
          > any other special characters which go here?
          It's all case insensitive.

          > Can any body help me out? Is there any way to jump
          > to text other than a HEADER in another .otl file?
          Not at the present time.

          > Also, when you are inside a file a search seems to
          > always be relative to where you are. Is there a way to
          > make it start at the top? or bottom for a reverse search?
          Not at the present time.

          > (I assume it always starts at the top or bottom if you
          > reference from outside the file (even if the referenced
          > file is open?) is this true?)
          Seems to start from top.

          --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
          notetab-tips-subscribe@...
          **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
          http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9