NoteTab Pro 5.3 and NoteTab Std 5.3 released!

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      We're pleased to announce the release of NoteTab Pro 5.3 and NoteTab Std
      5.3! This update is free for NoteTab 5.x customers.

      You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
      Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
      see the version 5.3 info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
      click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog box to
      refresh the list.

      Improvements since previous update:
      -----------------------------------

      * Improved "Replace Notepad" feature under Windows 2000, 2003, and XP.
      Feature not available under Windows Vista.

      * File Associations set through NoteTab now work under Windows XP with a
      user "Limited Account" and under Windows Vista.

      * Added /RESETWND command-line switch, which resets the NoteTab window
      position and size at startup. This switch is useful if the NoteTab
      window does not show up when you start the program.

      * Fixed issue with some system dialogs opening offscreen on
      multi-monitor systems.

      * Fixed issue with Clip-wizard labels not appearing under Windows Vista.

      * Fixed issue with header/footer text not always appearing when printing
      documents.

      * Fixed issue causing a long delay when opening a file from a shared
      drive (e.g. \\Vista-central\public\file.txt).

      * Fixed sorting issue with ^$GetFileFirst$ Clip function.

      * Fixed Vista compatibility issue with ^!Keyboard Clip command.

      * Updated the regular expressions engine to the latest release, which is
      based on PCRE 7.2. See the following document for a list of improvements:
      http://www.pcre.org/changelog.txt

      * Updated the print engine to the latest release.

      * Added ^$GetWinVersion$ function to return the version of Windows that
      is running NoteTab. Possible values are: Win95, Win98, WinME, NT4,
      WinXP, Win2000, Win2003, Vista, Longhorn, Unknown.

      * Improved ^!SetDebug Clip command. Now has the capability of storing
      debug information in a log file. Simply specify a filename as the
      parameter. If no pathname is specified, the log file is saved under the
      "Application Data\NoteTab\Libraries" folder. Example:
      ^!SetDebug Log.txt

      * Many other minor improvements and bug fixes.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
        Op 7-jul-07, om 00:01 heeft Eric Fookes het volgende geschreven:

        > You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
        > Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
        > see the version 5.3 info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
        > click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog
        > box to
        > refresh the list.

        I click "Get Headlines" and still there is only 5.2.
        Is this because I'm still working with version 5.O? Must I first
        upgrade to 5.2 and than download 5.3?
        --
        Adrien Verlee
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
          > I click "Get Headlines" and still there is only 5.2.
          > Is this because I'm still working with version 5.O? Must I first
          > upgrade to 5.2 and than download 5.3?
          I used help --> check for updates (about 2nd or third line down is
          download 5.3). Updated flawlessly for me.
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
            Op 7-jul-07, om 16:03 heeft Don - HtmlFixIt.com het volgende geschreven:

            > I used help --> check for updates (about 2nd or third line down is
            > download 5.3). Updated flawlessly for me.

            I did Don. And a moment a go, again, with the same 5.2 version.
            --
            Adrien Verlee - www.leerquoten.nl
            www.marxists.org/nederlands/
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
              Try as I did - moving the download location to the Notetab directory
              (instead of Temp file) and execute the setup file with NoteTab closed
              from Windows Explorer.

              Jeff
            • Adrien Verlee
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                Op 7-jul-07, om 16:25 heeft Jeff Scism het volgende geschreven:

                > Try as I did - moving the download location to the Notetab directory
                > (instead of Temp file) and execute the setup file with NoteTab closed
                > from Windows Explorer.

                The problem is I can't see 5.3.
                On http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.php
                I read: "Important: Some download managers may take over this
                download process and interfere with normal operations. When this
                happens, temporarily turn off your download manager and try again.
                Another frequent problem is that a firewall is blocking NoteTab's
                access to the news server on the Internet."

                I'm running NoteTab on a iMac in a virtualmachine (Parallels). I
                turnend of the windows firewall, and no differences, I turnend off
                the stealthmode in iMac also, no differences. I gues I have to wait
                for an answer by Eric or Sheri, if I must first download download
                5.2, and than 5.3.
                --
                Adrien Verlee
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                  Hi
                  would it not be easier to run on windows machine download under the help
                  drop down menu and then run on Mac
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  > Op 7-jul-07, om 16:25 heeft Jeff Scism het volgende geschreven:
                  >
                  >> Try as I did - moving the download location to the Notetab directory
                  >> (instead of Temp file) and execute the setup file with NoteTab closed
                  >> from Windows Explorer.
                  >
                  > The problem is I can't see 5.3.
                  > On http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.php
                  > I read: "Important: Some download managers may take over this
                  > download process and interfere with normal operations. When this
                  > happens, temporarily turn off your download manager and try again.
                  > Another frequent problem is that a firewall is blocking NoteTab's
                  > access to the news server on the Internet."
                  >
                  > I'm running NoteTab on a iMac in a virtualmachine (Parallels). I
                  > turnend of the windows firewall, and no differences, I turnend off
                  > the stealthmode in iMac also, no differences. I gues I have to wait
                  > for an answer by Eric or Sheri, if I must first download download
                  > 5.2, and than 5.3.
                  > --
                  > Adrien Verlee

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Adrien Verlee
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                    Op 7-jul-07, om 17:27 heeft Dave het volgende geschreven:

                    > would it not be easier to run on windows machine download under the
                    > help
                    > drop down menu and then run on Mac

                    Sure. But I can't. I'm switched from Linux (the computer was
                    becomming to old) to Mac, so I have not a dualboot. Only a virtual
                    machine.

                    Thanks.
                    --
                    Adrien Verlee
                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:
                      > I'm running NoteTab on a iMac in a virtualmachine (Parallels). I
                      > turnend of the windows firewall, and no differences, I turnend off
                      > the stealthmode in iMac also, no differences. I gues I have to wait
                      > for an answer by Eric or Sheri, if I must first download download
                      > 5.2, and than 5.3.

                      I don't know the answer, just another user myself. I would probably
                      try downloading and installing 5.2 if you haven't already, just to see
                      if the News changes once you're running 5.2.

                      Regards,
                      Sheri
                    • Ugly Person
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                          Hi,

                          On 07 Jul 07 21:38 "Ugly Person" <ugly@...> said:
                          > it worked for SOMEBODY

                          Me too!

                          It upgraded flawlessly from NoteTab Pro v5.0 to v5.3 using the Help
                          Menu option "Check for Updates". The second item in the "Fookes
                          SOftware News and Updates" window even says: "2007/07/06 Click to
                          download version 5.3 again"

                          Greg
                        • Adrien Verlee
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                            Op 7-jul-07, om 20:21 heeft Sheri het volgende geschreven:

                            > try downloading and installing 5.2 if you haven't already, just to see
                            > if the News changes once you're running 5.2.

                            It did change. In fact, it couldn't harm to upgrade to 5.2 anyway.
                            5.3 is for tomorrow.
                            --
                            adrien
                          • Laura Dolson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 7, 2007
                              Just another data point - I upgraded from 5.1 to 5.3 without problems.
                              (Windows XP)

                              Laura