Speeding up NoteTab

  • Erik Moeller
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 1998
      When NoteTab starts, it (by default) reopens all previously open files.
      This is quite clever and I like it. Unfortunately (and understandably),
      with about 20 files, it gets very slow. My idea is as simple as this: A
      new feature that says "load on demand". When you start up NoteTab, only
      the previously *displayed* file is really opened, the other files are
      internally flagged as "not open". When you click the tab of a file
      that's flagged like this, it is opened.

      This is a mix between the Favorites menu, which I find a bit slow in
      access, and the old tab switching. Once the file is opened, it does of
      course not need to be reopened and you would therefore have the old
      speed. Those who do only have 5 files open at a time will turn this
      feature off, others like me who sometimes have three rows of tabs will
      probably welcome it.

      Tell me what you think.

      Best Regards,
      Erik Moeller
      --
      Scientific Reviewer, Freelancer, Humanist - Reichshof/Germany
      Phone: +49-2296-991034 - Web: http://www.excelsior.org/~erik

    • Ken Jarvis
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 1998
        Suggestion -
        Ask others what word processor do they use,
        and how many files it automatically opens.

        I use MSWorks.

        I have a file, I call it ToDo.
        =====================
        Sept. - Monday - Labor Day

        Sept. 6 - Sunday - Jimmy & Judy are getting married.
        September - 6 - Ken & Joye's Anniversary - 89 - dinner at Plaza

        September - 7 - Saturday - Bert(36) & Tommy's(46) Birthday

        September - Sunday - 15 - John & Pam's Anniversary - 90

        September - 15 - Bob & Bert's Anniversary - 80

        16 - TRASH

        Sept. 18 to 27 - FREE Preview of Showtime and Movie Channel 51 &52

        September - 19 - Thursday - Pete's Birthday - 47

        September - 21 - Bud's Matthew's Birthday - 65

        30 - TRASH

        RENT

        October - 1 - Wednesday - Gene's Birthday

        October - 2 - Thursday - Margaret's Birthday
        ==============================
        It is a list of birthdays, anniversaries, events, etc.
        I run it like a wheel.
        Cutting the event from the top, as the date passes, and pasting it at the
        bottom.

        I have it load when the computer turns on.
        It is the first thing I see.
        Works great.

        I have been thinking of writing to you to see if there is a way to do it
        like a spreadsheet.
        Maybe, use line numbers, so I can move it up, and not have to cut and
        paste.
        Is that doable?

        Keep up the good works.
        Ken

        --
        Thanks, and more later.
        Ken

      • Jay F.
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 1998
          Eric,

          I have upgraded my IdealWare 4.011 version without any problems, but when I
          go to spell check a file and make changes or even add words to dictionary,
          it will lock up NTP and NTP will not show up when I try to switch tasks. I
          end up having to end task (CTRL-ALT-DEL) on NTP and then restarting. I
          thought that maybe the .dct files were corrupted so I downloaded a new copy
          from the ntp web page and it still happens.

          Any ideas?

        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 1998
            Hi Jay,

            >I have upgraded my IdealWare 4.011 version without any problems, but when I
            >go to spell check a file and make changes or even add words to dictionary,
            >it will lock up NTP and NTP will not show up when I try to switch tasks. I
            >end up having to end task (CTRL-ALT-DEL) on NTP and then restarting. I
            >thought that maybe the .dct files were corrupted so I downloaded a new copy
            >from the ntp web page and it still happens.

            It might be best to delete the Spell.cfg file that you will find in the
            NoteTab directory and reconfigure your dictionaries and other settings in
            the Spell-Checker Options (NoteTab must be closed when you delete the
            file). Please tell me if this solves the problem.

            Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
            Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
            and the 1998 People's Choice Award

          • djust@netvision.net.il
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 1998
              Were any changes made in html.clb between NTP 4.011 and
              4.5?
              I had made some of my own changes, and the easiest way to
              incorporate them would be to replace the new file with the old
              one, but first I'd like to know if I'd be losing anything.

              Thanks,
              David.

            • Jody Adair
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 1998
                Hi David,

                >Were any changes made in html.clb between NTP 4.011 and
                >4.5?

                There was at least a change made to the color one. It was a
                minor thing that had to do with typing the color name in and
                where quotations marks were put. Other than that I don't know.
                For just the one you could "Add from clipboard" and when it
                says to overwrite it say yes. Or, focus that one and select
                "Copy Clip" (I think is the name of the menu item) and then
                "Edit Clip..." in the new, select all, and paste.

                Happy NoteTabbin',
                Jody
                http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm