Re: [NTB] Added /usb command-line switch. Use it when you want to run NoteTab fr

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi Eric,
      PMFBI

      You pushing the /USB switch over the /USER switch reminds me of the
      problems I encountered with the /USB, when I tried it.

      On Windows 2000, data AND the program on the USB stick:

      WITH /USB, running FROM the USB stick,

      1 Quick List, files mode (shows hard disk data path as ONLY option)

      2 clear the path window

      3 quit Notetab

      4 restart

      5 Quicklist shows hard disk NoteTab path and *.txt files,
      WITHOUT intervening backslash !!

      With the /USER switch, running from the desktop, does NOT exhibit this
      problem.

      This brings up several questions:

      So where does the quick list get its filenames from?

      Where (& why) does it lose its backslash?

      Why doesn't it conform to the NoteTab norm of ALWAYS ending paths with
      a backslash?

      Why is it still getting files from the hard disk path, when running
      from the USB drive?

      and one question, only semi-related, which I've been meaning to ask:
      Why doesn't the NoteTab installation offer to run as administrator for
      this one process, INSTEAD of REQUIRING to SWITCH to the Administrator
      account?

      This (User Account management) is NOT just a Vista feature, but is
      supported at least as far back as Windows 2000.

      Eb

      > Hi Jono,
      >
      > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
      > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
      (same
      > folder as NotePro.exe).

    • Jono
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 25, 2007
        Hi Eric,

        I have installed NoteTab Pro 5.3 on my USB thumb drive. I created
        the following batch file to launch NoteTab:

        @echo off
        NotePro.exe /usb
        Exit

        When I launch the app with this batch file, it still creates a folder
        called in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data that
        includes these folders and files:

        /Favorites/
        /Libraries/
        /Spelling/
        /Templates/
        /NotePro.ini
        /NotePro.fpr
        /cntp5.nws

        I copied the NotePro.ini to the installation directory on the thumb
        drive, but it still uses the one on the C: drive.

        I would like to make sure that everything stays on the thumb drive
        with nothing being copied or created to the C: drive of the host
        computer. Is that possible? Please explain how I can do this. I
        have read through this thread and I am not at all clear on how to do
        this. Just copying the NotePro.ini doesn't work.

        Another thing I tried was to use the /user instead of the /usb as
        someone suggested. That didn't seem to make any difference either.

        Thanks for your help.

        Jono

        > Hi Jono,
        >
        > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
        > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
        (same
        > folder as NotePro.exe).
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        >
        > Eric Fookes
        > http://www.fookes.com/
        >
        > Jono wrote:
        > > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a
        directory
        > > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
        > > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and
        the
        > > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
        > >
        > > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive
        ok,
        > > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from
        the
        > > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
        > >
        > > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
        > > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on
        the
        > > host computer?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Jono Martin
        > >

        > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
        > >> Hi LadyCK3,
        > >>
        > >> Here's an extract from the Help file:
        > >>
        > >> If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
        > > it,
        > >> file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may
        have
        > >> incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
        > > launching
        > >> NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
        > > This
        > >> will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if
        it
        > >> doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
        > > causes
        > >> NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
        > >>
        > >> NotePro.exe /usb

        > > is
        > > special
        > > regex
        > > syndrome)

        > >> --
        > >> Regards,
        > >>
        > >> Eric Fookes
        > >> http://www.fookes.com/

      • Jono
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 25, 2007
          Eric - Please disregard my last post. I was copying a previous
          NotePro.ini file to the USB drive which somehow told the app to
          create the folder structure on the C: drive. After deleting the file
          and allowing the new NotePro.ini file to stay in place, and then just
          resetting the settings, it works great. I haven't seen any problems
          at all.

          Thanks for a great app!

          Jono