Re: [NTB] Added /usb command-line switch. Use it when you want to run NoteTab from a USB k

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hi Jono,

      If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
      drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it (same
      folder as NotePro.exe).

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1 8:01 AM
        Hi Eric,
        PMFBI

        You pushing the /USB switch over the /USER switch reminds me of the
        problems I encountered with the /USB, when I tried it.

        On Windows 2000, data AND the program on the USB stick:

        WITH /USB, running FROM the USB stick,

        1 Quick List, files mode (shows hard disk data path as ONLY option)

        2 clear the path window

        3 quit Notetab

        4 restart

        5 Quicklist shows hard disk NoteTab path and *.txt files,
        WITHOUT intervening backslash !!

        With the /USER switch, running from the desktop, does NOT exhibit this
        problem.

        This brings up several questions:

        So where does the quick list get its filenames from?

        Where (& why) does it lose its backslash?

        Why doesn't it conform to the NoteTab norm of ALWAYS ending paths with
        a backslash?

        Why is it still getting files from the hard disk path, when running
        from the USB drive?

        and one question, only semi-related, which I've been meaning to ask:
        Why doesn't the NoteTab installation offer to run as administrator for
        this one process, INSTEAD of REQUIRING to SWITCH to the Administrator
        account?

        This (User Account management) is NOT just a Vista feature, but is
        supported at least as far back as Windows 2000.

        Eb

        > Hi Jono,
        >
        > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
        > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
        (same
        > folder as NotePro.exe).

      • Jono
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 25 11:43 AM
          Hi Eric,

          I have installed NoteTab Pro 5.3 on my USB thumb drive. I created
          the following batch file to launch NoteTab:

          @echo off
          NotePro.exe /usb
          Exit

          When I launch the app with this batch file, it still creates a folder
          called in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data that
          includes these folders and files:

          /Favorites/
          /Libraries/
          /Spelling/
          /Templates/
          /NotePro.ini
          /NotePro.fpr
          /cntp5.nws

          I copied the NotePro.ini to the installation directory on the thumb
          drive, but it still uses the one on the C: drive.

          I would like to make sure that everything stays on the thumb drive
          with nothing being copied or created to the C: drive of the host
          computer. Is that possible? Please explain how I can do this. I
          have read through this thread and I am not at all clear on how to do
          this. Just copying the NotePro.ini doesn't work.

          Another thing I tried was to use the /user instead of the /usb as
          someone suggested. That didn't seem to make any difference either.

          Thanks for your help.

          Jono

          > Hi Jono,
          >
          > If you want NoteTab to save all settings and favorites on your USB
          > drive, you should also place a copy of your NotePro.ini file on it
          (same
          > folder as NotePro.exe).
          >
          > --
          > Regards,
          >
          > Eric Fookes
          > http://www.fookes.com/
          >
          > Jono wrote:
          > > Hi - Even using the USB parameter, NotePro.exe creates a
          directory
          > > under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data. It
          > > includes folders Favorites, Libraries, Spelling, Templates, and
          the
          > > files cntp5.nws and NotePro.ini.
          > >
          > > All my settings are being read from the ini file on the USB drive
          ok,
          > > but the favorites (and I don't know what else) is being read from
          the
          > > HDD, meaning no favorites at all.
          > >
          > > How can I get NoteTabPro to use the Favorites folder from the app
          > > directory on the USB drive and to not leave anything behind on
          the
          > > host computer?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jono Martin
          > >

          > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
          > >> Hi LadyCK3,
          > >>
          > >> Here's an extract from the Help file:
          > >>
          > >> If your USB key doesn't have a permanent drive letter assigned
          > > it,
          > >> file references saved in NoteTab's INI and Favorites lists may
          have
          > >> incorrect drive information. You can solve this problem by
          > > launching
          > >> NoteTab with the /usb command-line switch (new in version 5.2).
          > > This
          > >> will instruct NoteTab to look for the file on the USB drive if
          it
          > >> doesn't exist at the specified location. Using this switch also
          > > causes
          > >> NoteTab to store all its settings on the USB key. Example:
          > >>
          > >> NotePro.exe /usb

          > > is
          > > special
          > > regex
          > > syndrome)

          > >> --
          > >> Regards,
          > >>
          > >> Eric Fookes
          > >> http://www.fookes.com/

        • Jono
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 25 12:25 PM
            Eric - Please disregard my last post. I was copying a previous
            NotePro.ini file to the USB drive which somehow told the app to
            create the folder structure on the C: drive. After deleting the file
            and allowing the new NotePro.ini file to stay in place, and then just
            resetting the settings, it works great. I haven't seen any problems
            at all.

            Thanks for a great app!

            Jono