Re: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename] Reload it?

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14 4:59 PM
      Hi Will,

      On 15 Jun 07 00:18 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
      said:
      > Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
      > That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
      > background.

      Sounds a very likely candidate!

      > Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over"
      > a file or what?

      "Reload" will replace the old version currently shown in the NoteTab
      window with the later version that's been edited by the other program.

      It will depend whether it's important to keep a copy of the version of
      the file as it was when NoteTab first loaded it, or whether you intend
      to edit further the current version of the file as generated by the
      other program.

      Greg
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 15 6:51 AM
        Hi
        It may also be that you have opened the same file twice it worth checking.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2007
          It's generally safest to just go ahead and re-load.

          There are several possibilities.

          If you get the warning immediately on starting up NoteTab, it just
          means that a tab is pointing to a file which has been updated by some
          other program since you last had this copy of NoteTab open. If you
          update, nothing (of your changes) are likely to be lost, and it will
          insure you are working with the latest copy of the file.

          If the warning arrives while you are editing a file, updating will
          likely lose your most recent changes (since your last save), but it
          is still the safest procedure, since the alternative will be to have
          two different copies of the same file to confuse you or another
          program in future. If you don't re-load, you may wind up with at
          least two copies of the file which must be resolved at some point.
          Or, there is also the possibility that you will overwrite some
          legitimate changes made by another program (when you do a future
          save)-- confusing that program.

          Have fun; and welcome to the (asynchronous) world of multi-threading
          and multi-processing.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in