Skip to search.

Re: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename] Reload it?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
      I get the message when I download another copy of a file I have already
      been working on. I think the machine compares dates. Could it be that
      something you have running is backing up the copy periodically? That
      would do it probably. I would say no unless someone else is changing it
      to avoid losing your information that you already changed in the file.
      > FWIW: I normally see that message only when I'm changing one of the
      > loaded files with another program :-)
      >
      > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
    • Clueless in Seattle
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

        > If you are not deliberately editing a file in another program then,
        > almost certainly, the message appears because you have an INI, CFG or
        > other similar file open in NoteTab that is the configuration file used
        > by another program that is currently running.
        >
        > NoteTab checks periodically to see if its open files are still the
        > current version. That's why you get the message.

        Hi Greg!

        Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
        That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
        background.

        Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over" a
        file or what?

        Will in Seattle
        a.k.a. "Clueless"
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
          Hi Will,

          On 15 Jun 07 00:18 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
          said:
          > Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
          > That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
          > background.

          Sounds a very likely candidate!

          > Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over"
          > a file or what?

          "Reload" will replace the old version currently shown in the NoteTab
          window with the later version that's been edited by the other program.

          It will depend whether it's important to keep a copy of the version of
          the file as it was when NoteTab first loaded it, or whether you intend
          to edit further the current version of the file as generated by the
          other program.

          Greg
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
            Hi
            It may also be that you have opened the same file twice it worth checking.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2007
              It's generally safest to just go ahead and re-load.

              There are several possibilities.

              If you get the warning immediately on starting up NoteTab, it just
              means that a tab is pointing to a file which has been updated by some
              other program since you last had this copy of NoteTab open. If you
              update, nothing (of your changes) are likely to be lost, and it will
              insure you are working with the latest copy of the file.

              If the warning arrives while you are editing a file, updating will
              likely lose your most recent changes (since your last save), but it
              is still the safest procedure, since the alternative will be to have
              two different copies of the same file to confuse you or another
              program in future. If you don't re-load, you may wind up with at
              least two copies of the file which must be resolved at some point.
              Or, there is also the possibility that you will overwrite some
              legitimate changes made by another program (when you do a future
              save)-- confusing that program.

              Have fun; and welcome to the (asynchronous) world of multi-threading
              and multi-processing.

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in