Re: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename] Reload it?

  • Jim Eoff
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
      buralex@... wrote on Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:47:35 -0400:
      > Otherwise, at least until you figure out what is
      > going on, I'd suggest responding No, then saving your current version
      > under a new name (or Copy ALL to a new buffer and then manually
      > reloading the changed version and doing a compare to see what the
      > changes are. (If you haven't already got a file compare program I'd
      > suggest googling open-source WinMerge)

      Hmmm a possible feature to be added to NoteTab Pro?
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
        I get the message when I download another copy of a file I have already
        been working on. I think the machine compares dates. Could it be that
        something you have running is backing up the copy periodically? That
        would do it probably. I would say no unless someone else is changing it
        to avoid losing your information that you already changed in the file.
        > FWIW: I normally see that message only when I'm changing one of the
        > loaded files with another program :-)
        >
        > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
      • Clueless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

          > If you are not deliberately editing a file in another program then,
          > almost certainly, the message appears because you have an INI, CFG or
          > other similar file open in NoteTab that is the configuration file used
          > by another program that is currently running.
          >
          > NoteTab checks periodically to see if its open files are still the
          > current version. That's why you get the message.

          Hi Greg!

          Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
          That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
          background.

          Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over" a
          file or what?

          Will in Seattle
          a.k.a. "Clueless"
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
            Hi Will,

            On 15 Jun 07 00:18 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
            said:
            > Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
            > That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
            > background.

            Sounds a very likely candidate!

            > Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over"
            > a file or what?

            "Reload" will replace the old version currently shown in the NoteTab
            window with the later version that's been edited by the other program.

            It will depend whether it's important to keep a copy of the version of
            the file as it was when NoteTab first loaded it, or whether you intend
            to edit further the current version of the file as generated by the
            other program.

            Greg
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
              Hi
              It may also be that you have opened the same file twice it worth checking.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2007
                It's generally safest to just go ahead and re-load.

                There are several possibilities.

                If you get the warning immediately on starting up NoteTab, it just
                means that a tab is pointing to a file which has been updated by some
                other program since you last had this copy of NoteTab open. If you
                update, nothing (of your changes) are likely to be lost, and it will
                insure you are working with the latest copy of the file.

                If the warning arrives while you are editing a file, updating will
                likely lose your most recent changes (since your last save), but it
                is still the safest procedure, since the alternative will be to have
                two different copies of the same file to confuse you or another
                program in future. If you don't re-load, you may wind up with at
                least two copies of the file which must be resolved at some point.
                Or, there is also the possibility that you will overwrite some
                legitimate changes made by another program (when you do a future
                save)-- confusing that program.

                Have fun; and welcome to the (asynchronous) world of multi-threading
                and multi-processing.

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in