Re: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename] Reload it?

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
      Hi Will,

      On 14 Jun 07 05:46 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
      said:
      > > When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has
      > in someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to
      > reload
      > the changes into my open copy of the file as well.
      >
      > Whoa! That's pretty spooky!
      >
      > I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
      > at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of
      > my apartment.

      If you are not deliberately editing a file in another program then,
      almost certainly, the message appears because you have an INI, CFG or
      other similar file open in NoteTab that is the configuration file used
      by another program that is currently running.

      NoteTab checks periodically to see if its open files are still the
      current version. That's why you get the message.

      Whether it is appropriate to answer yes or no depends on the
      circumstances. I simply find the message a useful reminder that I
      should have closed the program in question, before attempting to edit
      its INI file.

      Greg
    • Jim Eoff
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
        buralex@... wrote on Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:47:35 -0400:
        > Otherwise, at least until you figure out what is
        > going on, I'd suggest responding No, then saving your current version
        > under a new name (or Copy ALL to a new buffer and then manually
        > reloading the changed version and doing a compare to see what the
        > changes are. (If you haven't already got a file compare program I'd
        > suggest googling open-source WinMerge)

        Hmmm a possible feature to be added to NoteTab Pro?
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
          I get the message when I download another copy of a file I have already
          been working on. I think the machine compares dates. Could it be that
          something you have running is backing up the copy periodically? That
          would do it probably. I would say no unless someone else is changing it
          to avoid losing your information that you already changed in the file.
          > FWIW: I normally see that message only when I'm changing one of the
          > loaded files with another program :-)
          >
          > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
        • Clueless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

            > If you are not deliberately editing a file in another program then,
            > almost certainly, the message appears because you have an INI, CFG or
            > other similar file open in NoteTab that is the configuration file used
            > by another program that is currently running.
            >
            > NoteTab checks periodically to see if its open files are still the
            > current version. That's why you get the message.

            Hi Greg!

            Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
            That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
            background.

            Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over" a
            file or what?

            Will in Seattle
            a.k.a. "Clueless"
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
              Hi Will,

              On 15 Jun 07 00:18 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
              said:
              > Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
              > That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
              > background.

              Sounds a very likely candidate!

              > Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over"
              > a file or what?

              "Reload" will replace the old version currently shown in the NoteTab
              window with the later version that's been edited by the other program.

              It will depend whether it's important to keep a copy of the version of
              the file as it was when NoteTab first loaded it, or whether you intend
              to edit further the current version of the file as generated by the
              other program.

              Greg
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
                Hi
                It may also be that you have opened the same file twice it worth checking.
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                >> When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has in
                >> someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to reload the
                >> changes into my open copy of the file as well.
                >
                > Whoa! That's pretty spooky!
                >
                > I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
                > at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of my
                > apartment.
                >
                > So, what's the best choice when NTP asks me if I want to "reload" the
                > file? Should I say "no"?
                >
                > Will in Seattle
                > a.k.a. "Clueless"

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • normfsime
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2007
                  It's generally safest to just go ahead and re-load.

                  There are several possibilities.

                  If you get the warning immediately on starting up NoteTab, it just
                  means that a tab is pointing to a file which has been updated by some
                  other program since you last had this copy of NoteTab open. If you
                  update, nothing (of your changes) are likely to be lost, and it will
                  insure you are working with the latest copy of the file.

                  If the warning arrives while you are editing a file, updating will
                  likely lose your most recent changes (since your last save), but it
                  is still the safest procedure, since the alternative will be to have
                  two different copies of the same file to confuse you or another
                  program in future. If you don't re-load, you may wind up with at
                  least two copies of the file which must be resolved at some point.
                  Or, there is also the possibility that you will overwrite some
                  legitimate changes made by another program (when you do a future
                  save)-- confusing that program.

                  Have fun; and welcome to the (asynchronous) world of multi-threading
                  and multi-processing.

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in