Another application has modified [filename] Reload it?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
      I'm still getting strange messages from Notetab Pro 4.95 when I use it
      to modify files stored on networked computer.

      From time to time I'll get a message saying: "Another application has
      modified [filename] Reload it?"

      I'm not sure what this means.

      And so I'm not sure whether I want to "reload" the file.

      What is the meaning of that message and what is the appropriate response?

      Will in Seattle
      a.k.a. "Clueless"
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
        Hi,

        When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has in
        someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to reload the
        changes into my open copy of the file as well.

        This can be a tricky situation to be in because if two people are working on
        the same file at the same time, who's changes are going to be saved? I know
        there are ways to work on the same file at the same time and all changes are
        merged, or ways to check out files, prohibiting anyone else from working on
        it until it's checked back in, but I haven't found a simple way (for me)
        around this dilemma yet.

        Best,
        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> wrote:

          > When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has in
          > someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to reload the
          > changes into my open copy of the file as well.

          Whoa! That's pretty spooky!

          I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
          at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of my
          apartment.

          So, what's the best choice when NTP asks me if I want to "reload" the
          file? Should I say "no"?

          Will in Seattle
          a.k.a. "Clueless"
        • buralex@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
            "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...> said on 06/14/2007
            12:46:06 AM -0400
            >> When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has in
            >> > someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to reload the
            >> > changes into my open copy of the file as well.
            >>

            > Whoa! That's pretty spooky!
            >
            > I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
            > at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of my
            > apartment.
            >
            > So, what's the best choice when NTP asks me if I want to "reload" the
            > file? Should I say "no"?
            If you KNOW you haven't made any changes since last save, it would be
            safe to reply yes. Otherwise, at least until you figure out what is
            going on, I'd suggest responding No, then saving your current version
            under a new name (or Copy ALL to a new buffer and then manually
            reloading the changed version and doing a compare to see what the
            changes are. (If you haven't already got a file compare program I'd
            suggest googling open-source WinMerge)

            FWIW: I normally see that message only when I'm changing one of the
            loaded files with another program :-)

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • Bob McAllister
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
              On 6/14/07, Clueless in Seattle <will_aka_clueless@...> wrote:

              > > When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has in
              > > someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to reload the
              > > changes into my open copy of the file as well.
              >
              > Whoa! That's pretty spooky!
              >
              > I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
              > at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of my
              > apartment.

              Sometimes that "other person" can be you using another application.

              For example, when I edit a HTML file in NoteTab I use a clip to
              validate my code. That clip actually starts another program which runs
              on the file I have open. If that second program makes a change (such
              as correcting an error) NoteTab senses that the open copy of the file
              no longer matches the version saved to disk and warns me accordingly.

              Bob
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                Hi Will,

                On 14 Jun 07 05:46 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
                said:
                > > When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has
                > in someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to
                > reload
                > the changes into my open copy of the file as well.
                >
                > Whoa! That's pretty spooky!
                >
                > I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
                > at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of
                > my apartment.

                If you are not deliberately editing a file in another program then,
                almost certainly, the message appears because you have an INI, CFG or
                other similar file open in NoteTab that is the configuration file used
                by another program that is currently running.

                NoteTab checks periodically to see if its open files are still the
                current version. That's why you get the message.

                Whether it is appropriate to answer yes or no depends on the
                circumstances. I simply find the message a useful reminder that I
                should have closed the program in question, before attempting to edit
                its INI file.

                Greg
              • Jim Eoff
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                  buralex@... wrote on Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:47:35 -0400:
                  > Otherwise, at least until you figure out what is
                  > going on, I'd suggest responding No, then saving your current version
                  > under a new name (or Copy ALL to a new buffer and then manually
                  > reloading the changed version and doing a compare to see what the
                  > changes are. (If you haven't already got a file compare program I'd
                  > suggest googling open-source WinMerge)

                  Hmmm a possible feature to be added to NoteTab Pro?
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                    I get the message when I download another copy of a file I have already
                    been working on. I think the machine compares dates. Could it be that
                    something you have running is backing up the copy periodically? That
                    would do it probably. I would say no unless someone else is changing it
                    to avoid losing your information that you already changed in the file.
                    > FWIW: I normally see that message only when I'm changing one of the
                    > loaded files with another program :-)
                    >
                    > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
                  • Clueless in Seattle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

                      > If you are not deliberately editing a file in another program then,
                      > almost certainly, the message appears because you have an INI, CFG or
                      > other similar file open in NoteTab that is the configuration file used
                      > by another program that is currently running.
                      >
                      > NoteTab checks periodically to see if its open files are still the
                      > current version. That's why you get the message.

                      Hi Greg!

                      Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
                      That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
                      background.

                      Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over" a
                      file or what?

                      Will in Seattle
                      a.k.a. "Clueless"
                    • Greg Chapman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                        Hi Will,

                        On 15 Jun 07 00:18 "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...>
                        said:
                        > Could it be my "Pasteboard" file that is generating these messages?
                        > That's the only other file I have open that is being changed in the
                        > background.

                        Sounds a very likely candidate!

                        > Also, what exactly does "reload" mean? Does it mean to "write over"
                        > a file or what?

                        "Reload" will replace the old version currently shown in the NoteTab
                        window with the later version that's been edited by the other program.

                        It will depend whether it's important to keep a copy of the version of
                        the file as it was when NoteTab first loaded it, or whether you intend
                        to edit further the current version of the file as generated by the
                        other program.

                        Greg
                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
                          Hi
                          It may also be that you have opened the same file twice it worth checking.
                          THANKYOU DAVE M

                          >> When I get that message on our LAN, it means that someone else has in
                          >> someway changed the file in question, and it is offering to reload the
                          >> changes into my open copy of the file as well.
                          >
                          > Whoa! That's pretty spooky!
                          >
                          > I live alone, and so there's no-one else who could be making changes
                          > at the other computer; it's just down the hall at the other end of my
                          > apartment.
                          >
                          > So, what's the best choice when NTP asks me if I want to "reload" the
                          > file? Should I say "no"?
                          >
                          > Will in Seattle
                          > a.k.a. "Clueless"

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • normfsime
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 13, 2007
                            It's generally safest to just go ahead and re-load.

                            There are several possibilities.

                            If you get the warning immediately on starting up NoteTab, it just
                            means that a tab is pointing to a file which has been updated by some
                            other program since you last had this copy of NoteTab open. If you
                            update, nothing (of your changes) are likely to be lost, and it will
                            insure you are working with the latest copy of the file.

                            If the warning arrives while you are editing a file, updating will
                            likely lose your most recent changes (since your last save), but it
                            is still the safest procedure, since the alternative will be to have
                            two different copies of the same file to confuse you or another
                            program in future. If you don't re-load, you may wind up with at
                            least two copies of the file which must be resolved at some point.
                            Or, there is also the possibility that you will overwrite some
                            legitimate changes made by another program (when you do a future
                            save)-- confusing that program.

                            Have fun; and welcome to the (asynchronous) world of multi-threading
                            and multi-processing.

                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in