Re: [NTB] Pasteboard Feature Stops Working

  • Jim Eoff
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      buralex@... wrote on Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:48:03 -0400:

      > > Jim Eoff <oaf@...> said on 06/09/2007 10:15:44 PM -0400
      > > I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on. At some
      > > point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does continue to
      > > function). Closing and reopening the program restores proper
      > > functioning of the Pasteboard feature.
      > >
      > > I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior. I run a
      > > number of utilities so it could be caused by another program but I
      > > haven't been able to predict when it will happen.
      > >
      > Checkout this from Thornsoft (maker of Clipmate) :
      > > Clipboard Information For Developers - Clipboard Viewers, Common
      > > Mistakes, etc.
      > > "This page is intended to promote interoperability and harmony between
      > > various applications. It is for developers of other software products
      > > to learn about how to make their application work better with
      > > ClipMate, avoid common clipboard coding problems. "
      > > http://www.thornsoft.com/developer.htm
      > All programs that work with the clipboard have to cooperate with each
      > other. One of yours is probably mis-behaving :-(
      >
      > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      Interesting, especially since I just started playing with Clipmate
      since I wanted something to keep copies of graphics copied to the
      Clipboard. However, the behavior I noted predated my use of Clipmate.
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        Jim Eoff <oaf@...> said on 06/10/2007 10:38:42 PM -0400
        > Interesting, especially since I just started playing with Clipmate
        > since I wanted something to keep copies of graphics copied to the
        > Clipboard. However, the behavior I noted predated my use of Clipmate.
        Not surprising - Clipmate is going to be almost certainly blameless in
        any such clipboard chain problem. I usually quote the author's article
        since it (and pages linked from it) provide a pretty good (in my
        layman's opinion) summary of what the potential problems are, though as
        the title indicates they are aimed more at developers than users.

        From one of the linked pages:
        > There is a demo application called the Clipboard Viewer / Ignore Demo,
        > which handles both sides of this situation. It can send text to the
        > clipboard, both with and without the CF_CLIPBOARD_VIEWER_IGNORE
        > format, so that you can test your apps. It also is a Viewer, which
        > implements the "ignoring", so that you can see the behavior. It logs
        > clipboard messages as well, so that you can troubleshoot certain
        > situations, such as when applications send multiple updates in a row.
        > Finally, it's a darn good example of a clipboard viewer, so you can
        > base clipboard viewer designs from it. There is a complete Delphi4
        > project, and the main program - IgnoreDemoForm.PAS is suitable as
        > pseudo-code for VB and C++ programmers. And there is a compiled
        > executable, if you just want to play. Get the demo here:
        > http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/techsupport/ignoredemo.zip
        I haven't looked at this in a long time but it *might* be possible to
        use it to determine which of your other running aps (ie. presumably
        other than Notetab or Clipmate) is not playing nice with others!

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Alex Wenzel
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

          > I, too, see this periodically. I've attributed it to some minor
          software
          > conflict. Luckily I had built a short series of 5 clips to do
          these actions;

          > • switch the Pasteboard to any other currently focused file
          > • turn the Pasteboard ON when OFF
          > • turn the Pasteboard OFF when ON
          > • toggle the Pasteboard, whichever state it's in,
          > OFF when ON or ON when OFF
          > • to CLOSE, then RELOAD the Pasteboard whenever run
          >
          > The last clip might be helpful to all of you, when my pasteboard
          gets
          > clogged, closing and reopening usually restores function.
          >
          > I always keep my pasteboard in the first tab position, the clip is
          > designed to maintain the tab position regardless of other open
          files, It
          > closes/reopens the pasteboard and all other open files and when
          finished
          > restores the cursor to the file and position it was in before
          running
          > the clip.
          >
          > I always keep the pasteboard file for Pro named NTP_paste.txt, for
          > Standard the pasteboard file is named NTS_paste. You can rewrite
          the
          > clip to use a different name, won't be difficult, if you prefer.
          >
          > This is the clip below. If any problems post them.
          >
          > H="pb_CLOSERELOAD"
          > ; • Modified-Updated~Created_20070328
          > ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:16:56p
          > ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          > ^!Jump LINE_START
          > ^!Set %pb_closereload%=^##
          > ^!Set %cursor%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
          > ^!Set %view%=^$Calc(^$GetRow$-10)$:^$GetCol$
          > ^!Close "^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt" SAVE
          > ^!SaveFavorites pb_closereload
          > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
          > ; may have to change folder for the sound source
          > ^!Sound C:\Misc Tools\Sounds\system.wav
          > ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt
          > ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+P
          > ^!Sound ^$GetSoundPath$PasteBoard On
          > ^!Jump ^$GetLineCount$
          > ^!OpenFavorites pb_closereload
          > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%pb_closereload%)$
          > ^!SetView ^%view%
          > ^!SetCursor ^%cursor%
          > ^!DeleteFile ^$GetFavoritePath$pb_closereload.fvr

          I'm late to reply, but I just stumbled upon this thread and I have
          the same problem (I'm using the free version, as I have to go with
          UltraEdit for the main part of my editor work due to some missing
          features in NoteTab).
          I tried your clip, and I have the problem that it keeps writing the
          line
          H="pb_CLOSERELOAD"
          to whatever position it is in the currently open document and then
          prompts me to save that document. Other than that, it seems to work
          as intended.
          I don't have any knowledge about clips, unfortunately, so all I could
          do was copy the clip from here and paste it into a new clip.
        • Alex Wenzel
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 23, 2007
            Now that I posted it, I noticed that all I had to do was delete the
            first line from the clip.
            Still have no idea what the line was for (some kind of header?), but
            the problem is gone now.
            Thank you for the clip.
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2007
              Alex Wenzel wrote:
              > Now that I posted it, I noticed that all I had to do was
              > delete the first line from the clip. Still have no idea
              > what the line was for (some kind of header?), but the problem
              > is gone now.
              > Thank you for the clip.

              Alex,

              H="pb_CLOSERELOAD" is the name/title of the clip, all clips have a title
              line which is what you click to run the clip.

              In transferring the clip to your clipbook you must have given it another
              name, which would then be the first line, essentially turning the
              original title into just another text line and that causes that line to
              print into whichever document is focused at the time.

              ºvº SL-6-198 -created- 2007.06.25 - 16.15.10

              "Overcoming Anal Retentive Behavior:
              Leaving the Towels on the Floor."
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...