Pasteboard Feature Stops Working

  • Jim Eoff
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
      I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on. At some
      point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does continue to
      function). Closing and reopening the program restores proper
      functioning of the Pasteboard feature.

      I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior. I run a
      number of utilities so it could be caused by another program but I
      haven't been able to predict when it will happen.
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
        > Jim Eoff <oaf@...> said on 06/09/2007 10:15:44 PM -0400
        > I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on. At some
        > point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does continue to
        > function). Closing and reopening the program restores proper
        > functioning of the Pasteboard feature.
        >
        > I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior. I run a
        > number of utilities so it could be caused by another program but I
        > haven't been able to predict when it will happen.

        Checkout this from Thornsoft (maker of Clipmate) :
        > Clipboard Information For Developers - Clipboard Viewers, Common
        > Mistakes, etc.
        > "This page is intended to promote interoperability and harmony between
        > various applications. It is for developers of other software products
        > to learn about how to make their application work better with
        > ClipMate, avoid common clipboard coding problems. "
        > http://www.thornsoft.com/developer.htm
        All programs that work with the clipboard have to cooperate with each
        other. One of yours is probably mis-behaving :-(

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
        --
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2007
          Jim Eoff wrote:
          YES, it happens in NoteTab Std as well.

          > I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on. At some
          > point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does continue to
          > function). Closing and reopening the program restores proper
          > functioning of the Pasteboard feature.
          >
          > I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior. I run a
          > number of utilities so it could be caused by another program but I
          > haven't been able to predict when it will happen.

        • Hugh Coyle
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
            Yes, I find it quite annoying to have to exit, re-open just to
            re-establish the Pasteboard. It has been happening on all my systems
            for some time now, both with STD and Pro. I don't know when it
            started, bun I haven't done anything different to NTP itself, so it
            must be outside influences -- New OS, Upgrades, whatever.

            At 10:15 PM 6/9/2007, Jim Eoff wrote:

            >I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on. At some
            >point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does continue to
            >function). Closing and reopening the program restores proper
            >functioning of the Pasteboard feature.
            >
            >I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior. I run a
            >number of utilities so it could be caused by another program but I
            >haven't been able to predict when it will happen.

            Hugh C
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
              Hugh Coyle wrote:
              > Yes, I find it quite annoying to have to exit,
              > re-open just to re-establish the Pasteboard. It
              > has been happening on all my systems for some time
              > now, both with STD and Pro. I don't know when it started,
              > bun I haven't done anything different to NTP itself, so it
              > must be outside influences -- New OS, Upgrades, whatever.
              >
              > At 10:15 PM 6/9/2007, Jim Eoff wrote:
              >
              >> I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on.
              >> At some point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does
              >> continue to function). Closing and reopening the program
              >> restores proper functioning of the Pasteboard feature.
              >>
              >> I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this
              >> behavior. I run a number of utilities so it could be
              >> caused by another program but I haven't been able to
              >> predict when it will happen.
              >
              > Hugh C

              Jim, Alec, Jeff, Hugh,

              I, too, see this periodically. I've attributed it to some minor software
              conflict. Luckily I had built a short series of 5 clips to do these actions;

              • switch the Pasteboard to any other currently focused file
              • turn the Pasteboard ON when OFF
              • turn the Pasteboard OFF when ON
              • toggle the Pasteboard, whichever state it's in,
              OFF when ON or ON when OFF
              • to CLOSE, then RELOAD the Pasteboard whenever run

              The last clip might be helpful to all of you, when my pasteboard gets
              clogged, closing and reopening usually restores function.

              I always keep my pasteboard in the first tab position, the clip is
              designed to maintain the tab position regardless of other open files, It
              closes/reopens the pasteboard and all other open files and when finished
              restores the cursor to the file and position it was in before running
              the clip.

              I always keep the pasteboard file for Pro named NTP_paste.txt, for
              Standard the pasteboard file is named NTS_paste. You can rewrite the
              clip to use a different name, won't be difficult, if you prefer.

              This is the clip below. If any problems post them.

              H="pb_CLOSERELOAD"
              ; • Modified-Updated~Created_20070328
              ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:16:56p
              ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
              ^!Jump LINE_START
              ^!Set %pb_closereload%=^##
              ^!Set %cursor%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
              ^!Set %view%=^$Calc(^$GetRow$-10)$:^$GetCol$
              ^!Close "^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt" SAVE
              ^!SaveFavorites pb_closereload
              ^!Close ALL,SAVE
              ; may have to change folder for the sound source
              ^!Sound C:\Misc Tools\Sounds\system.wav
              ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt
              ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+P
              ^!Sound ^$GetSoundPath$PasteBoard On
              ^!Jump ^$GetLineCount$
              ^!OpenFavorites pb_closereload
              ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%pb_closereload%)$
              ^!SetView ^%view%
              ^!SetCursor ^%cursor%
              ^!DeleteFile ^$GetFavoritePath$pb_closereload.fvr

              ºvº SL-6-78 -created- 2007.06.10 - 15.44.17

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              "Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire"
              ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
            • Jim Eoff
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                Thanks

                hsavage wrote on Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:25:16 -0500:
> [...]
                > ^!Jump LINE_START
                > ^!Set %pb_closereload%=^##
                > ^!Set %cursor%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                > ^!Set %view%=^$Calc(^$GetRow$-10)$:^$GetCol$
                > ^!Close "^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt" SAVE
                > ^!SaveFavorites pb_closereload
                > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                > ; may have to change folder for the sound source
                > ^!Sound C:\Misc Tools\Sounds\system.wav
                > ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt
                > ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+P
                > ^!Sound ^$GetSoundPath$PasteBoard On
                > ^!Jump ^$GetLineCount$
                > ^!OpenFavorites pb_closereload
                > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%pb_closereload%)$
                > ^!SetView ^%view%
                > ^!SetCursor ^%cursor%
                > ^!DeleteFile ^$GetFavoritePath$pb_closereload.fvr
                >

                > ºvº SL-6-78 -created- 2007.06.10 - 15.44.17
                >
                > Newspaper HeadLine...
                > "Arson Suspect is Held in Massachusetts Fire"

              • Jim Eoff
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                  buralex@... wrote on Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:48:03 -0400:

                  > > Jim Eoff <oaf@...> said on 06/09/2007 10:15:44 PM -0400
                  > > I always have Notetab Pro's Pasteboard feature turned on. At some
                  > > point it stops working (the Window's Clipboard does continue to
                  > > function). Closing and reopening the program restores proper
                  > > functioning of the Pasteboard feature.
                  > >
                  > > I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this behavior. I run a
                  > > number of utilities so it could be caused by another program but I
                  > > haven't been able to predict when it will happen.
                  > >
                  > Checkout this from Thornsoft (maker of Clipmate) :
                  > > Clipboard Information For Developers - Clipboard Viewers, Common
                  > > Mistakes, etc.
                  > > "This page is intended to promote interoperability and harmony between
                  > > various applications. It is for developers of other software products
                  > > to learn about how to make their application work better with
                  > > ClipMate, avoid common clipboard coding problems. "
                  > > http://www.thornsoft.com/developer.htm
                  > All programs that work with the clipboard have to cooperate with each
                  > other. One of yours is probably mis-behaving :-(
                  >
                  > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                  Interesting, especially since I just started playing with Clipmate
                  since I wanted something to keep copies of graphics copied to the
                  Clipboard. However, the behavior I noted predated my use of Clipmate.
                • buralex@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                    Jim Eoff <oaf@...> said on 06/10/2007 10:38:42 PM -0400
                    > Interesting, especially since I just started playing with Clipmate
                    > since I wanted something to keep copies of graphics copied to the
                    > Clipboard. However, the behavior I noted predated my use of Clipmate.
                    Not surprising - Clipmate is going to be almost certainly blameless in
                    any such clipboard chain problem. I usually quote the author's article
                    since it (and pages linked from it) provide a pretty good (in my
                    layman's opinion) summary of what the potential problems are, though as
                    the title indicates they are aimed more at developers than users.

                    From one of the linked pages:
                    > There is a demo application called the Clipboard Viewer / Ignore Demo,
                    > which handles both sides of this situation. It can send text to the
                    > clipboard, both with and without the CF_CLIPBOARD_VIEWER_IGNORE
                    > format, so that you can test your apps. It also is a Viewer, which
                    > implements the "ignoring", so that you can see the behavior. It logs
                    > clipboard messages as well, so that you can troubleshoot certain
                    > situations, such as when applications send multiple updates in a row.
                    > Finally, it's a darn good example of a clipboard viewer, so you can
                    > base clipboard viewer designs from it. There is a complete Delphi4
                    > project, and the main program - IgnoreDemoForm.PAS is suitable as
                    > pseudo-code for VB and C++ programmers. And there is a compiled
                    > executable, if you just want to play. Get the demo here:
                    > http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/techsupport/ignoredemo.zip
                    I haven't looked at this in a long time but it *might* be possible to
                    use it to determine which of your other running aps (ie. presumably
                    other than Notetab or Clipmate) is not playing nice with others!

                    Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                  • Alex Wenzel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 23, 2007
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                      > I, too, see this periodically. I've attributed it to some minor
                      software
                      > conflict. Luckily I had built a short series of 5 clips to do
                      these actions;

                      > • switch the Pasteboard to any other currently focused file
                      > • turn the Pasteboard ON when OFF
                      > • turn the Pasteboard OFF when ON
                      > • toggle the Pasteboard, whichever state it's in,
                      > OFF when ON or ON when OFF
                      > • to CLOSE, then RELOAD the Pasteboard whenever run
                      >
                      > The last clip might be helpful to all of you, when my pasteboard
                      gets
                      > clogged, closing and reopening usually restores function.
                      >
                      > I always keep my pasteboard in the first tab position, the clip is
                      > designed to maintain the tab position regardless of other open
                      files, It
                      > closes/reopens the pasteboard and all other open files and when
                      finished
                      > restores the cursor to the file and position it was in before
                      running
                      > the clip.
                      >
                      > I always keep the pasteboard file for Pro named NTP_paste.txt, for
                      > Standard the pasteboard file is named NTS_paste. You can rewrite
                      the
                      > clip to use a different name, won't be difficult, if you prefer.
                      >
                      > This is the clip below. If any problems post them.
                      >
                      > H="pb_CLOSERELOAD"
                      > ; • Modified-Updated~Created_20070328
                      > ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:16:56p
                      > ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
                      > ^!Jump LINE_START
                      > ^!Set %pb_closereload%=^##
                      > ^!Set %cursor%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                      > ^!Set %view%=^$Calc(^$GetRow$-10)$:^$GetCol$
                      > ^!Close "^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt" SAVE
                      > ^!SaveFavorites pb_closereload
                      > ^!Close ALL,SAVE
                      > ; may have to change folder for the sound source
                      > ^!Sound C:\Misc Tools\Sounds\system.wav
                      > ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$^$GetEditorType$_paste.txt
                      > ^!KeyBoard Shift+Ctrl+P
                      > ^!Sound ^$GetSoundPath$PasteBoard On
                      > ^!Jump ^$GetLineCount$
                      > ^!OpenFavorites pb_closereload
                      > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(^%pb_closereload%)$
                      > ^!SetView ^%view%
                      > ^!SetCursor ^%cursor%
                      > ^!DeleteFile ^$GetFavoritePath$pb_closereload.fvr

                      I'm late to reply, but I just stumbled upon this thread and I have
                      the same problem (I'm using the free version, as I have to go with
                      UltraEdit for the main part of my editor work due to some missing
                      features in NoteTab).
                      I tried your clip, and I have the problem that it keeps writing the
                      line
                      H="pb_CLOSERELOAD"
                      to whatever position it is in the currently open document and then
                      prompts me to save that document. Other than that, it seems to work
                      as intended.
                      I don't have any knowledge about clips, unfortunately, so all I could
                      do was copy the clip from here and paste it into a new clip.
                    • Alex Wenzel
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 23, 2007
                        Now that I posted it, I noticed that all I had to do was delete the
                        first line from the clip.
                        Still have no idea what the line was for (some kind of header?), but
                        the problem is gone now.
                        Thank you for the clip.
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 25, 2007
                          Alex Wenzel wrote:
                          > Now that I posted it, I noticed that all I had to do was
                          > delete the first line from the clip. Still have no idea
                          > what the line was for (some kind of header?), but the problem
                          > is gone now.
                          > Thank you for the clip.

                          Alex,

                          H="pb_CLOSERELOAD" is the name/title of the clip, all clips have a title
                          line which is what you click to run the clip.

                          In transferring the clip to your clipbook you must have given it another
                          name, which would then be the first line, essentially turning the
                          original title into just another text line and that causes that line to
                          print into whichever document is focused at the time.

                          ºvº SL-6-198 -created- 2007.06.25 - 16.15.10

                          "Overcoming Anal Retentive Behavior:
                          Leaving the Towels on the Floor."
                          ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...