"Size does not match" Error when trying to save file on network

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
      My niece recently gave me her old laptop so I am now able to work in
      bed, where I spend a lot of time these days due to chronic health
      problems.

      I've got the laptop connected to my my old hand-me-down desktop
      computer via a Windows 2000 peer-to-peer connection.

      I keep all of my data files on the desktop computer, and just run
      software like NTP 4.95 on the laptop computer.

      So, from the laptop, I'll open a file stored on the desktop computer
      to edit it. But when I try to save it I get this error message:

      [path\filename\] was not correctly saved to disk. Size does not match
      (difference of [XXXX] bytes).

      I click "OK" and then see the familiar "Save As" Window where I click
      the "Save" button, and then get a second error message:

      [path\filename] already exists. Do you want to replace it?

      I click "Yes" and it seems to save the file.

      But then I get a third error message saying: Another application has
      modified "[path\filename]". Reload it?

      So I click "Yes"

      Is there any way to tweak NTP so I don't have to go through those
      error messages when I want to save a file?

      Will in Seattle
      a.k.a. "Clueless"
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
        Do you have the same problem if you edit the file in Notepad (or any
        other text editors you happen to have on the laptop)?

        > "Clueless in Seattle" <will_aka_clueless@...> said on 12/31/1969
        7:00:00 PM -0500
        > My niece recently gave me her old laptop so I am now able to work in
        > bed, where I spend a lot of time these days due to chronic health
        > problems.
        >
        > I've got the laptop connected to my my old hand-me-down desktop
        > computer via a Windows 2000 peer-to-peer connection.
        >
        > I keep all of my data files on the desktop computer, and just run
        > software like NTP 4.95 on the laptop computer.
        >
        > So, from the laptop, I'll open a file stored on the desktop computer
        > to edit it. But when I try to save it I get this error message:
        >
        > [path\filename\] was not correctly saved to disk. Size does not match
        > (difference of [XXXX] bytes).
        >
        > I click "OK" and then see the familiar "Save As" Window where I click
        > the "Save" button, and then get a second error message:
        >
        > [path\filename] already exists. Do you want to replace it?
        >
        > I click "Yes" and it seems to save the file.
        >
        > But then I get a third error message saying: Another application has
        > modified "[path\filename]". Reload it?
        >
        > So I click "Yes"
        >
        > Is there any way to tweak NTP so I don't have to go through those
        > error messages when I want to save a file?

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
        --
      • Clueless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

          > Do you have the same problem if you edit the file in Notepad (or any
          > other text editors you happen to have on the laptop)?

          That's a very good question. I just opened, modified, and saved the
          same file using Notepad without any problem.

          And I've been using MS Word and Excel 2003 from the laptop to work on
          files stored on the desktop computer without any problems either.

          So, it looks to me like it's probably some issue with NTP, perhaps
          something in its configuration.

          Will in Seattle
          a.k.a. "Clueless"
        • lm_hamilton
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2007
            Will,

            Are you using \\computername\directory\textfile.txt, or have you
            mapped a drive letter so that it is x:\directory\textfile.txt?

            NoteTab, especially version 4.x, seems to be sensitive to that
            difference in a network environment.

            Larry Hamilton
            Kairos Computer Solutions
            http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in Seattle"

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
              "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> said on 06/05/2007 11:01:28
              PM -0400
              > Are you using \\computername\directory\textfile.txt, or have you
              > mapped a drive letter so that it is x:\directory\textfile.txt?
              >
              > NoteTab, especially version 4.x, seems to be sensitive to that
              > difference in a network environment.
              Clueless: Larry beat me to it: I remembered a very long discussion on
              the Notetab Offtopic list. In it the problem was slow opening rather
              than problems saving but the eventual solution was to map the network
              folders ("map folder" is the topic to search for in Help (at least WinXP
              - probably Win2K as well)

              If you're interested in the gory details here's the link to top of
              thread in Notetab-Off-Topic:
              it goes on for more than 60 messages over 6 months :-( with the
              resolution here and following:

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
              --
            • Clueless in Seattle
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

                > Are you using \\computername\directory\textfile.txt, or have you
                > mapped a drive letter so that it is x:\directory\textfile.txt?
                >
                > NoteTab, especially version 4.x, seems to be sensitive to that
                > difference in a network environment.

                Thanks guys! That did the trick!