Re: [NTB] Should I Upgrade to 5.2?

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23 4:59 PM
      "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> said on 05/23/2007 4:53:17 PM -0400
      > Is the updated regex engine version 7 faster, or something?
      No - I'm not sure what the differences are - Sheri might know.
      > Will I need to
      > update my current RegEx clips to work with it?
      No - except for the two functions mentioned, no changes

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
      --
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24 12:26 PM
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

        > "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> said on 05/23/2007 4:53:17 PM -0400
        > > Is the updated regex engine version 7 faster, or something?

        > No - I'm not sure what the differences are - Sheri might know.

        > > Will I need to update my current RegEx clips to work with it?

        > No - except for the two functions mentioned, no changes
        >
        > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
        > --

        Besides updating the regex engine to PCRE 7 and fixing some problems
        with ^$GetDocMatchAll$, there were some other NoteTab fixes, like
        Escape to incontext clipbook followed by Shift+F10, couldn't
        previously select a library with an undercored letter in the list and
        have the loaded library change as expected. That works now.

        You can keep a backup of notepro.exe or notetab.exe when you have
        concerns about updating. That way if changes are not to your liking
        you can revert to the previous version.

        PCRE 7 added features and fixed bugs.

        I thought these were the more interesting items in the PCRE change log
        for 7.0:

        [QUOTE]

        [snip]

        Added a number of extra features that are going to be in Perl
        5.10. On the whole, these are just syntactic alternatives for
        features that PCRE had previously implemented using the Python
        syntax or my own invention. The other formats are all retained
        for compatibility.

        (a) Named groups can now be defined as (?<name>...) or
        (?'name'...) as well as (?P<name>...). The new forms, as well as
        being in Perl 5.10, are also .NET compatible.

        (b) A recursion or subroutine call to a named group can now be
        defined as (?&name) as well as (?P>name).

        (c) A backreference to a named group can now be defined as
        \k<name> or \k'name' as well as (?P=name). The new forms, as well
        as being in Perl 5.10, are also .NET compatible.

        (d) A conditional reference to a named group can now use the
        syntax (?(<name>) or (?('name') as well as (?(name).

        (e) A "conditional group" of the form (?(DEFINE)...) can be used
        to define groups (named and numbered) that are never evaluated
        inline, but can be called as "subroutines" from elsewhere. In
        effect, the DEFINE condition is always false. There may be only
        one alternative in such a group.

        (f) A test for recursion can be given as (?(R1).. or
        (?(R&name)... as well as the simple (?(R). The condition is true
        only if the most recent recursion is that of the given number or
        name. It does not search out through the entire recursion stack.

        [snip]

        Add \R to match any Unicode newline sequence, as suggested in the
        Unicode report. [note this token works in all files, not just unicode
        files].

        [snip]

        For an unanchored pattern, if a match attempt fails at the start
        of a newline sequence, and the newline setting is CRLF or ANY,
        and the next two characters are CRLF, advance by two characters
        instead of one.

        [/UNQUOTE]

        Regards,
        Sheri