Re: [NTB] Should I Upgrade to 5.2?

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2007
      "corl_deluna" <corl@...> said on 05/22/2007 6:50:24 PM -0400
      > I'm using NTP 5.1 without any problems, but I've noticed that a newer
      > version has been released. I didn't see or recognize anything new
      > listed on the web page. So I thought to ask you are there reasons, and
      > or added features that make updating to 5.2 worth while? Do do have any
      > complaint's about 5.2, like clips not working?
      I can't remember anytime since I've been using Notetab (early 4.x
      series) that a point release introduced any significant problems.

      Here's the What's new for 5.2
      > NoteTab v5.2 (released: 31 March 2007)
      > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      > * Updated the regex engine to PCRE version 7.
      > * Added /usb command-line switch. Use it when you want to run NoteTab
      > from a USB key.
      > * Fixed misplaced warning and information dialog boxes when running
      > NoteTab under multiple monitors.
      > * Fixed several issues with ^$GetDocMatchAll Clip function.
      > * NoteTab Std: fixed issues with ^$GetParagraph$ Clip function.
      > * Many other minor improvements and bug fixes.
      > * Updated documentation.
      FWIW: my advice - go for it. AFAIK the only significant remaining issue
      is keyboard commands under VISTA but I don't use VISTA so I might be
      wrong about that.

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
      --
    • Corl DeLuna
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2007
        Hi Alec, Thanks for the low down on the NTP updates!

        Is the updated regex engine version 7 faster, or something? Will I need to
        update my current RegEx clips to work with it?

        Thanks,
        Corl

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2007
          "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> said on 05/23/2007 4:53:17 PM -0400
          > Is the updated regex engine version 7 faster, or something?
          No - I'm not sure what the differences are - Sheri might know.
          > Will I need to
          > update my current RegEx clips to work with it?
          No - except for the two functions mentioned, no changes

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
          --
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2007
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, buralex@... wrote:

            > "Corl DeLuna" <corl@...> said on 05/23/2007 4:53:17 PM -0400
            > > Is the updated regex engine version 7 faster, or something?

            > No - I'm not sure what the differences are - Sheri might know.

            > > Will I need to update my current RegEx clips to work with it?

            > No - except for the two functions mentioned, no changes
            >
            > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
            > --

            Besides updating the regex engine to PCRE 7 and fixing some problems
            with ^$GetDocMatchAll$, there were some other NoteTab fixes, like
            Escape to incontext clipbook followed by Shift+F10, couldn't
            previously select a library with an undercored letter in the list and
            have the loaded library change as expected. That works now.

            You can keep a backup of notepro.exe or notetab.exe when you have
            concerns about updating. That way if changes are not to your liking
            you can revert to the previous version.

            PCRE 7 added features and fixed bugs.

            I thought these were the more interesting items in the PCRE change log
            for 7.0:

            [QUOTE]

            [snip]

            Added a number of extra features that are going to be in Perl
            5.10. On the whole, these are just syntactic alternatives for
            features that PCRE had previously implemented using the Python
            syntax or my own invention. The other formats are all retained
            for compatibility.

            (a) Named groups can now be defined as (?<name>...) or
            (?'name'...) as well as (?P<name>...). The new forms, as well as
            being in Perl 5.10, are also .NET compatible.

            (b) A recursion or subroutine call to a named group can now be
            defined as (?&name) as well as (?P>name).

            (c) A backreference to a named group can now be defined as
            \k<name> or \k'name' as well as (?P=name). The new forms, as well
            as being in Perl 5.10, are also .NET compatible.

            (d) A conditional reference to a named group can now use the
            syntax (?(<name>) or (?('name') as well as (?(name).

            (e) A "conditional group" of the form (?(DEFINE)...) can be used
            to define groups (named and numbered) that are never evaluated
            inline, but can be called as "subroutines" from elsewhere. In
            effect, the DEFINE condition is always false. There may be only
            one alternative in such a group.

            (f) A test for recursion can be given as (?(R1).. or
            (?(R&name)... as well as the simple (?(R). The condition is true
            only if the most recent recursion is that of the given number or
            name. It does not search out through the entire recursion stack.

            [snip]

            Add \R to match any Unicode newline sequence, as suggested in the
            Unicode report. [note this token works in all files, not just unicode
            files].

            [snip]

            For an unanchored pattern, if a match attempt fails at the start
            of a newline sequence, and the newline setting is CRLF or ANY,
            and the next two characters are CRLF, advance by two characters
            instead of one.

            [/UNQUOTE]

            Regards,
            Sheri