Re: Jim Hall, A Dear Friend....

  • RS
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14 7:05 PM
      Thank you Laurie, and Lotta, for letting us know.

      I cannot explain how sourly we are going to miss Jim. He's been a beacon
      of light on the NoteTab lists and one of the most influential forces
      behind our latest two products (InSight and PowerOutlines).

      Even with so little time left to be among us, Jim wanted and managed to
      keep testing and giving advice so those programs would better help not
      only experienced users but, most importantly, newer ones. I can only
      hope he realized how much his efforts were appreciated. And how much his
      help meant to me and all of us.

      I have always been impressed by the integrity with which he faced his
      illness, knowing that he was terminally ill and this day was coming. He
      managed to keep, until the last minute, being the same self he's always
      been, from incisively analyzing the latest Windows Vista to joking and
      poking fun at his friends, and that's how we will remember him.

      He might be physically gone, but he'll be always present among us.

      Good luck, Jim, wherever you are.

      --
      Ramon Silvera
      Author of InSight, PowerOutlines, and ClipWriter

      On 2007/05/14 12:48, you wrote:
      > Dear Groups...
      >
      > I would be remiss if I did not say the following, (Thanks Loro for
      > handling this as well). Jim made me promise some months ago that,
      > when the time came, would I please notify the group of his passing.

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15 2:18 AM
        Thanks Laurie and Lotta.

        Jim deserves fifty or more different Yahoo Groups. But I didn't know which
        other 43 plus groups to send this to. So, I send this to these here 7
        groups. Hopefully the thought that he is so deserving is what counts.

        Goodness, it was only near two or three weeks ago that Jim and I (email) were
        speaking programming and program design. (he'd informed me then that his time
        was getting short).

        We hadn't formerly emailed each other off list that much if at all. But,
        somehow, Jim and I struck up this chord about programming.

        And . . .

        I had spoke from my Perl programming experience and that my skill level in
        Perl is near intermediate and that I wanted to fill in some gaps in my
        knowlege and then make break throughs into yet even more advanced with my
        Perl skills.

        Somehow, I'm still uncertain exactly as to how, but, nonetheless, those email
        conversations left me with a greater insight into the specifics of exactly
        what my target lessons now needs to be in order for me to go where I want to
        go with my Perl programming skills.

        IOW I got tuned in or dialed in better about the needed specifics in order for
        me to proceed forward and in turn then achieve my goal.

        Thank you Jim. (I also told him so, thank you, via email at the time that this
        happened).

        I think Jim's definition of Object Oriented programming had something to do
        with this. He has his own definition of what this (Object Oriented)
        programming is. And, it's right on (for the most part). And it's a real
        down to earth and a simple and easily understood definition.

        I'm about to target myself for some more Object oriented programming lessons
        in Perl. I need to know more in that I need a greater ability to tap into
        pre existing power. Sometimes I succeed and can tap into it. But not under
        all circumstances. I just need greater familiarity. Modules equate to my
        term of pre existing power. Often, an freely available Perl object oriented
        module has the power to do thus and such 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Perhaps I
        can succeed at tap into and use 2 and 5. But I also need to tap into and use
        3 and 7 and I fail.

        Once I understand *all* of the underlying mechanics or mechanisms of Perl
        Object Oriented then I should be able to do whatever I want successfully.

        Getting back to Jim, I discovered that he'd programmed in many languages. He
        had the capability to program or author any sort of software that he wanted
        to. And he had done so many times in years gone by.

        But, today, he said he dislikes coding (programming or authoring or writing
        code). But that he'd rather design a program and then contract someone to
        write the code to fullfill his design specs.

        Jim I'm jealous (is it ok to be jealous) or, another way to put it, I
        certainly at the very least am admirable of Jim's achievements in the
        computer science (especially programming) arena.

        I struggle with where I'm at with my Perl skills. I mastered the Notetab
        clips. And I did a little bit of Qbasic prior to my learning Notetab Clip.
        And I've done a slight little bit of programming the bash shell in Linux.
        Oh, and a very very teeny bit of batch file language on Microsoft.

        Of those, I'd say Perl is the heavy weight (the power of what it can do), an
        programming language. But Perl is a high level language.

        (I've never done) Jim did low level languages such as assembler. These are
        way more involved, much more so than high level language. (I wonder if I'll
        ever master the high level Perl language).

        Assembler is down at the hardware, about the lowest language there is.

        Jim also did high level languages.

        But Jim just always acted like he's no different than me.

        Though he owned what I think are talents that perhaps even not all of us even
        have the ability to attain, he acted with me like he's got nothing special,
        he just studied and worked hard. That's all.

        Well, I think it's not all. I study and work hard and I creep (like as in
        very slow) to progress/raise my Perl skill level. So slow at a high level
        language it makes me wonder if I could ever even do a low level language like
        assembler.

        (I lacks a transition right here. *Jumps* awkwardly into the next)

        The word "grace" comes to my mind. I just looked it up at online dictionary:

        1. The exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition
        to benefit or serve another; favor bestowed or privilege
        conferred.
        [1913 Webster]
        --

        Somehow I came away from email conversation with Jim with something positive,
        privilege conferred or etc. I came away, as mentioned, more dialed in or

        To be a part of the steering committee is perhaps one of the greatest
        blessings that there is.

        Thanks Jim for whatever you did (Just being Jim, I think) that an offshoot of
        this is that my own guidance or direction that I need to pursue is affected
        in a positive way.

        Alan.