Re: The mysterious line break

  • djust@netvision.net.il
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
      (Sent the reply to the list because it could be that Eric should
      know all these funny details about the line breaks).
      > > Once it is "broken in", as above, everything will go fine until
      the end
      > > of clip 3, when it tells you that "curtplt is now ready for use". When
      > > you press OK, it will a) ADD A LINE BREAK after the current cursor
      > > position of the topmost file, thus,
      >
      > It sure takes a lot of riding to break that sucker in.
      Pity me. The first time I had to go through all of that without
      knowing if it was going to work. One of my physics teachers said
      that I had a talent for always finding the most indirect way to solve
      any problem.

      > Once I did I was able to repeat your problem. (I had only
      > one file open with four lines in it, my cursor at the beginning
      > of the third line.)
      >
      > The solution is that your template9b1.clb file end with
      > a lot of blank lines (<NL>'s) then a line with one space char
      > on it, and then another blank line. If you remove the line with
      > the single space on it the problem goes away. (i.e., it
      > works correctly even with extra blank lines at the end, just
      > as long as one ISN'T "almost" blank.)
      That was it, in principle. My copy had 2 pure line breaks at the
      end, but when I deleted them, everything returned to normal.

      > I'll leave it to the other readers to explain why this is
      > causing a problem. (I do notice your template9b1.clb has Unix
      > line breaks.)
      Can't figure this one out. Was written and modified on various
      versions of Notetab, pure Win95; no Unixes are allowed in our
      neighborhood. I do know that a lot of my programs have trouble
      reading line breaks from my other programs. I'm running the
      original Hebrew Win95, probably the world's weirdest version,
      but I can't imagine that they were using Unix line breaks.

      > Do I get a free book from Amazon?
      How about a free picture postcard of beautiful Petach Tikva?
      Thanks a lot.
      David.

    • Jody Adair
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 1998
        Hi David,

        You wrote the following on 12:38 AM 9/2/98 +0300:

        >>It would help if those of us on the list had a standard
        >> path(s) to use for testing which we all could have on our drives.

        ...but I'll go along with any reasonable suggestion.

        I use...

        NoteTabAppPath\Temp
        NoteTabAppPath\Test

        ...because they are easy to get to, but anywhere in NoteTab's
        folders is fine. If ^$GetAppPath$ is used and whatever folder,
        then it is easy for anybody to do a S&R to change the folder if
        need be in any clips that are sent to us.

        Happy NoteTabbin',
        Jody
        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm