Re: [NTB] Up/down arrow behavior in NT free / pro

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11 8:16 PM
      justin_ehrlich_1 wrote:
      > Thanks hsavage.
      >
      > I just checked and found that the EULA doesn't address
      > whether it's OK to install Pro on more than one computer.
      > But it doesn't forbid it. I'm going to assume that it is
      > all right as long as it's just me using it on one PC at
      > a time.
      >
      > This does solve the problem. I will just have to use
      > Pro instead of Light.
      >
      > Even if it's not considered a feature I think of this
      > cursor behavior
      > in Notetab Pro as one of the nicest things I've found
      > in any editor.

      Justin,

      This point has been discussed on these lists before and the author
      allows more than one installation. The only drawback may be an
      installation on your work computer but I think others have and if only
      you have access it should be OK.

      ºvº SL-5-88 -created- 2007.05.11 - 22.09.42

      Newspaper HeadLine...
      "Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case"
      ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
    • Bruce Meyers
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12 9:54 AM
        justin_ehrlich_1 <justin_ehrlich_1@...> wrote: Hi everyone, I just joined because of the question I want to ask here.
        I hope it's not bad form to ask a question right away but I searched
        and looked thru a lot of results and did not find anything about my issue.

        I've been using NoteTab Pro for years on my home computer and I'm very
        happy with it. Now on my work machine I installed NT free just to gain
        a few features I'm accustomed to which aren't in the editor that's
        used in my workplace. But one of the most important features is
        missing in free version 4.95, and I'm wondering whether I'll have to
        buy another copy of Pro to get it.

        Also I want to ask about the name of this feature because it would be
        a lot easier to ask about it if I knew what it's called. But I'll just
        have to describe it as best I can.

        Suppose you have 20 characters on line 1, none on line 2, and 20 on
        line 3, and the cursor is at column 10 of line 1. Now you press the
        down arrow. On almost any editor or word processor it will go to
        column 1 of line 2; it "falls back" to the left because there are no
        characters on the line. Now you press the down arrow again...

        Now on my copy of NoteTab Pro it will go to column one of line 3. This
        is the *right* behavior in my opinion and it's what I want. It's as if
        the cursor always "remembers" and keeps to its *most recent* column
        position (which in the example is column 1).

        But on all other editors I've used, and unfortunately including my new
        copy of NoteTab Light 4.95, when it gets to line 3 in the example the
        cursor *jumps to the right* to match its *previous* column position
        (where it was in line 1). I find this crazy-annoying (and I downloaded
        NoteTab here at work to get rid of it). But I can't find a way to turn
        it off.

        Of course the same thing applies with the up arrow.

        So I'm hoping someone can tell me:

        1. What is the name of this feature or option?
        2. Can i get the "right" behavior in NoteTab Light or do I have to pay
        for the Pro version to get this feature?
        3. If the preferred available in NoteTab Light, how can it be changed?

        TIA,

        Justin

        Justin,

        I had never paid much attention to the feature you are talking about so I just
        tried several different editors and all of them but one went back to the original
        column. The one that did not was the "hated" (by some) Notepad that is standard
        in all versions of Windows. It will go to line 1 on the blank line and then go to line one of the third line and not to the position it was in on the first line.

        So "terrible old Notepad" does the *right* thing that NoteTab Pro does, but NT Light and NT Standard do not.

        Bruce Meyers

        Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links