Re: [NTB] Up/down arrow behavior in NT free / pro

  • justin_ehrlich_1
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2007
      Thanks hsavage.

      I just checked and found that the EULA doesn't address whether
      it's OK to install Pro on more than one computer. But it doesn't
      forbid it. I'm going to assume that it is all right as long as it's
      just me using it on one PC at a time.

      This does solve the problem. I will just have to use Pro instead of Light.

      Even if it's not considered a feature I think of this cursor behavior
      in Notetab Pro as one of the nicest things I've found in any editor.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > justin_ehrlich_1 wrote:
      > * * *
      >
      > Justin,
      >
      > These lists are for users questions.
      >
      > The cursor movement you describe is not actually a feature, at least
      not
      > one I've heard discussed before. It is more a difference in the
      > 'edit-controls' used to in each product, 'Standard and Pro'.
      >
      > Cursor movement as described is the same as NoteTab Standard so I'll
      > make the leap and say that NTFree is based on Standards edit-control.
      >
      > I know of no way to turn that cursor movement off. From your email I
      > assume you own NotePro already, you could take the Pro install
      > executable and install it on another computer or you could install
      it on
      > a CD to have it with you anywhere.
      >
      > ºvº SL-5-86 -created- 2007.05.11 - 15.38.23
      >
      > Newspaper HeadLine...
      > "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
      > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2007
        justin_ehrlich_1 wrote:
        > Thanks hsavage.
        >
        > I just checked and found that the EULA doesn't address
        > whether it's OK to install Pro on more than one computer.
        > But it doesn't forbid it. I'm going to assume that it is
        > all right as long as it's just me using it on one PC at
        > a time.
        >
        > This does solve the problem. I will just have to use
        > Pro instead of Light.
        >
        > Even if it's not considered a feature I think of this
        > cursor behavior
        > in Notetab Pro as one of the nicest things I've found
        > in any editor.

        Justin,

        This point has been discussed on these lists before and the author
        allows more than one installation. The only drawback may be an
        installation on your work computer but I think others have and if only
        you have access it should be OK.

        ºvº SL-5-88 -created- 2007.05.11 - 22.09.42

        Newspaper HeadLine...
        "Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case"
        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Bruce Meyers
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2007
          justin_ehrlich_1 <justin_ehrlich_1@...> wrote: Hi everyone, I just joined because of the question I want to ask here.
          I hope it's not bad form to ask a question right away but I searched
          and looked thru a lot of results and did not find anything about my issue.

          I've been using NoteTab Pro for years on my home computer and I'm very
          happy with it. Now on my work machine I installed NT free just to gain
          a few features I'm accustomed to which aren't in the editor that's
          used in my workplace. But one of the most important features is
          missing in free version 4.95, and I'm wondering whether I'll have to
          buy another copy of Pro to get it.

          Also I want to ask about the name of this feature because it would be
          a lot easier to ask about it if I knew what it's called. But I'll just
          have to describe it as best I can.

          Suppose you have 20 characters on line 1, none on line 2, and 20 on
          line 3, and the cursor is at column 10 of line 1. Now you press the
          down arrow. On almost any editor or word processor it will go to
          column 1 of line 2; it "falls back" to the left because there are no
          characters on the line. Now you press the down arrow again...

          Now on my copy of NoteTab Pro it will go to column one of line 3. This
          is the *right* behavior in my opinion and it's what I want. It's as if
          the cursor always "remembers" and keeps to its *most recent* column
          position (which in the example is column 1).

          But on all other editors I've used, and unfortunately including my new
          copy of NoteTab Light 4.95, when it gets to line 3 in the example the
          cursor *jumps to the right* to match its *previous* column position
          (where it was in line 1). I find this crazy-annoying (and I downloaded
          NoteTab here at work to get rid of it). But I can't find a way to turn
          it off.

          Of course the same thing applies with the up arrow.

          So I'm hoping someone can tell me:

          1. What is the name of this feature or option?
          2. Can i get the "right" behavior in NoteTab Light or do I have to pay
          for the Pro version to get this feature?
          3. If the preferred available in NoteTab Light, how can it be changed?

          TIA,

          Justin

          Justin,

          I had never paid much attention to the feature you are talking about so I just
          tried several different editors and all of them but one went back to the original
          column. The one that did not was the "hated" (by some) Notepad that is standard
          in all versions of Windows. It will go to line 1 on the blank line and then go to line one of the third line and not to the position it was in on the first line.

          So "terrible old Notepad" does the *right* thing that NoteTab Pro does, but NT Light and NT Standard do not.

          Bruce Meyers

          Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
          Yahoo! Groups Links