Up/down arrow behavior in NT free / pro

  • justin_ehrlich_1
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2007
      Hi everyone, I just joined because of the question I want to ask here.
      I hope it's not bad form to ask a question right away but I searched
      and looked thru a lot of results and did not find anything about my issue.

      I've been using NoteTab Pro for years on my home computer and I'm very
      happy with it. Now on my work machine I installed NT free just to gain
      a few features I'm accustomed to which aren't in the editor that's
      used in my workplace. But one of the most important features is
      missing in free version 4.95, and I'm wondering whether I'll have to
      buy another copy of Pro to get it.

      Also I want to ask about the name of this feature because it would be
      a lot easier to ask about it if I knew what it's called. But I'll just
      have to describe it as best I can.

      Suppose you have 20 characters on line 1, none on line 2, and 20 on
      line 3, and the cursor is at column 10 of line 1. Now you press the
      down arrow. On almost any editor or word processor it will go to
      column 1 of line 2; it "falls back" to the left because there are no
      characters on the line. Now you press the down arrow again...

      Now on my copy of NoteTab Pro it will go to column one of line 3. This
      is the *right* behavior in my opinion and it's what I want. It's as if
      the cursor always "remembers" and keeps to its *most recent* column
      position (which in the example is column 1).

      But on all other editors I've used, and unfortunately including my new
      copy of NoteTab Light 4.95, when it gets to line 3 in the example the
      cursor *jumps to the right* to match its *previous* column position
      (where it was in line 1). I find this crazy-annoying (and I downloaded
      NoteTab here at work to get rid of it). But I can't find a way to turn
      it off.

      Of course the same thing applies with the up arrow.

      So I'm hoping someone can tell me:

      1. What is the name of this feature or option?
      2. Can i get the "right" behavior in NoteTab Light or do I have to pay
      for the Pro version to get this feature?
      3. If the preferred available in NoteTab Light, how can it be changed?

      TIA,

      Justin
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2007
        justin_ehrlich_1 wrote:

        > Hi everyone, I just joined because of the question I want to
        > ask here. I hope it's not bad form to ask a question right
        >
        > I've been using NoteTab Pro for years on my home computer and
        > I'm very happy with it. Now on my work machine I installed NT
        > free just to gain a few features
        >
        > Also I want to ask about the name of this feature because it
        > would be a lot easier to
        >
        > Now on my copy of NoteTab Pro
        >
        > But on all other editors I've used, and unfortunately including
        > my new copy of NoteTab Light 4.95,
        >
        > Of course the same thing applies with the up arrow.
        >
        > So I'm hoping someone can tell me:
        >
        > 1. What is the name of this feature or option?
        >
        > 2. Can i get the "right" behavior in NoteTab Light or
        > do I have to pay for the Pro version to get this feature?
        >
        > 3. If the preferred available in NoteTab Light,
        > how can it be changed?
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Justin

        Justin,

        These lists are for users questions.

        The cursor movement you describe is not actually a feature, at least not
        one I've heard discussed before. It is more a difference in the
        'edit-controls' used to in each product, 'Standard and Pro'.

        Cursor movement as described is the same as NoteTab Standard so I'll
        make the leap and say that NTFree is based on Standards edit-control.

        I know of no way to turn that cursor movement off. From your email I
        assume you own NotePro already, you could take the Pro install
        executable and install it on another computer or you could install it on
        a CD to have it with you anywhere.

        ºvº SL-5-86 -created- 2007.05.11 - 15.38.23

        Newspaper HeadLine...
        "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
      • justin_ehrlich_1
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2007
          Thanks hsavage.

          I just checked and found that the EULA doesn't address whether
          it's OK to install Pro on more than one computer. But it doesn't
          forbid it. I'm going to assume that it is all right as long as it's
          just me using it on one PC at a time.

          This does solve the problem. I will just have to use Pro instead of Light.

          Even if it's not considered a feature I think of this cursor behavior
          in Notetab Pro as one of the nicest things I've found in any editor.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

          > justin_ehrlich_1 wrote:
          > * * *
          >
          > Justin,
          >
          > These lists are for users questions.
          >
          > The cursor movement you describe is not actually a feature, at least
          not
          > one I've heard discussed before. It is more a difference in the
          > 'edit-controls' used to in each product, 'Standard and Pro'.
          >
          > Cursor movement as described is the same as NoteTab Standard so I'll
          > make the leap and say that NTFree is based on Standards edit-control.
          >
          > I know of no way to turn that cursor movement off. From your email I
          > assume you own NotePro already, you could take the Pro install
          > executable and install it on another computer or you could install
          it on
          > a CD to have it with you anywhere.
          >
          > ºvº SL-5-86 -created- 2007.05.11 - 15.38.23
          >
          > Newspaper HeadLine...
          > "Deaf College Opens Doors to Hearing"
          > ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2007
            justin_ehrlich_1 wrote:
            > Thanks hsavage.
            >
            > I just checked and found that the EULA doesn't address
            > whether it's OK to install Pro on more than one computer.
            > But it doesn't forbid it. I'm going to assume that it is
            > all right as long as it's just me using it on one PC at
            > a time.
            >
            > This does solve the problem. I will just have to use
            > Pro instead of Light.
            >
            > Even if it's not considered a feature I think of this
            > cursor behavior
            > in Notetab Pro as one of the nicest things I've found
            > in any editor.

            Justin,

            This point has been discussed on these lists before and the author
            allows more than one installation. The only drawback may be an
            installation on your work computer but I think others have and if only
            you have access it should be OK.

            ºvº SL-5-88 -created- 2007.05.11 - 22.09.42

            Newspaper HeadLine...
            "Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case"
            ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Bruce Meyers
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2007
              justin_ehrlich_1 <justin_ehrlich_1@...> wrote: Hi everyone, I just joined because of the question I want to ask here.
[...]

              I had never paid much attention to the feature you are talking about so I just
              tried several different editors and all of them but one went back to the original
              column. The one that did not was the "hated" (by some) Notepad that is standard
              in all versions of Windows. It will go to line 1 on the blank line and then go to line one of the third line and not to the position it was in on the first line.

              So "terrible old Notepad" does the *right* thing that NoteTab Pro does, but NT Light and NT Standard do not.

              Bruce Meyers

              Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com
              Yahoo! Groups Links